Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CCW history started about 18 yrs ago upon obtaining my first CCW permit. At the time, I had a 3” ruger SP101 and cheap nylon OWB. The gun felt like a ton and stuck out like a 2x4!!! Not to mention that I couldn’t hit the side of a barn with it! It never got carried!!! After passing this gun on to someone else, I wound up with an LCP. Too small, too long trigger pull, hard to shoot consistently! Very little carry. Then begins my Kimber chapter. Bought a new micro 9 and decent leather OWB. Man, what a difference! Started shooting more, hitting more, carrying more and began my love for the semi auto pistol! Now, with a couple of 1911s, a pair of EVOs, a Sig p365 xl, a micro, two j frames and a K6s, and another micro 9 in the works, I have learned the value of a “comfortable” carry! I never leave home unarmed now, and 95% of the time, the micro9 or an EVO is my companion! I have definitely learned that the key to carrying everyday is comfort & confidence!!!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yup, many a story of a bigger, heavier gun being left at home. 15 plus 1 doesn’t do any good unless it’s on your body. A 5 shot LCR or 6-7 round Micro or P938 that’s carried every day is much better. I feel perfectly armed with those or my 7 round Ultras. All easy to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, many a story of a bigger, heavier gun being left at home. 15 plus 1 doesn’t do any good unless it’s on your body. A 5 shot LCR or 6-7 round Micro or P938 that’s carried every day is much better. I feel perfectly armed with those or my 7 round Ultras. All easy to carry.

100% AGREED !

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I carried an SP101SAO snubby as well. I learned to shoot it really well. Because of its long trigger pull, I attribute it to helping me develop a proper pistol shooting skill set. I moved from that to LCR's which I carried for years. Great concealable little guns.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

First rule of gunfighting:
Have a gun.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I thought the first rule was "no be there", but I might be confusing it with Miyagi Do Karate...

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
A good holster is key to conceal carry. I remember when I first tried to use an ankle holster and a Springfield XD-40. What a mistake that was but in time l learned better.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have definitely learned that the key to carrying everyday is comfort & confidence!!!
Good CC story, and is quite familiar too.

Keep the words of friend and mentor Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) in mind in all of this: "carrying a gun should be 'comforting', NOT comfortable". But we all know and admit we'll carry what IS comfortable. As has been said here and elsewhere, having a gun is the most important aspect of the equation. For me, that means a quality IWB leather rig worn at 3:30 - 4:00 with some flavor of 1911 tucked inside. Has worked for me for a very, very long time.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I primarily use shoulder holsters (leather) and do actually carry (on occasion) a Colt Competition 9mm full size 1911... ...most of the time my carry will be my Kimber Pro CDP II .45 acp or my newly acquired Kimber Ultra CDP II 9mm... if not those, the Kimber Micro is in a pocket... but, as has been stated; confidence in the gun and comforting to youorownself makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There could be another problem with it being too comfortable.

I used to worry about the idea of rotating carry weapons and style of carry from the standpoint of forgetting I was armed. I settled on finding the biggest most comfortable pistol I could and carried it the same way, leather IWB, religiously. It got so comfy I didn't even think about it!
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

I now see some wisdom to being more "flexible." Changing both pistol and holster regularly.

I change it up enough to never forget I'm armed.

Grey Headgear Wood Helmet Tints and shades

A S&W 629 OWB WILL remind ya quickley.
Sometimes just a change of holster will suffice.

Ever need to feel real crazy, carry two!

I don't endorse "open carry " for self defense. But if you live somewhere you can, do it once in awhile. That'll wake up your senses. Makes me much more aware.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
There could be another problem with it being too comfortable.

I used to worry about the idea of rotating carry weapons and style of carry from the standpoint of forgetting I was armed. I settled on finding the biggest most comfortable pistol I could and carried it the same way, leather IWB, religiously. It got so comfy I didn't even think about it!
View attachment 128300

I now see some wisdom to being more "flexible." Changing both pistol and holster regularly.

I change it up enough to never forget I'm armed.

View attachment 128301

A S&W 629 OWB WILL remind ya quickley.
Sometimes just a change of holster will suffice.

Ever need to feel real crazy, carry two!

I don't endorse "open carry " for self defense. But if you live somewhere you can, do it once in awhile. That'll wake up your senses. Makes me much more aware.
Does that Eclipse Pro II have a bobtail or does it just appear that way in the picture ?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I bobbed it with a kit from ed brown. Mainspring housing and a jig/template was about $50. You put the jig in and cut down to it.
View attachment 128305

It's actually softer/more rounded than it looks. Scary, but easy.
Scary is an understatement.o_O
You crazy....in a good way.
It looks fantastic.
Damn good job.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bobbed it with a kit from ed brown. Mainspring housing and a jig/template was about $50. You put the jig in and cut down to it.
View attachment 128305

It's actually softer/more rounded than it looks. Scary, but easy.
That does look nice..and yes it would be scary!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts