Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

not sure if this is the appropriate place to place a thread about my conceal carry setup and impressions but here goes!

I own a Kimber Tactical 2 Ultra and it is one of the nicest and finest firearms I have purchased so far. So naturally, I wanted a nice carry setup to go with my "showpiece" :)

I purchase a belt, holster, and mag/flashlight setup and Tim @ TT Gunleather did the work. Just wanted to mention that TT Gunleather's customer service is excellent and that is a value that is very important to me. I am the type of person that will support businesses like this even if it cost a little bit more money.

Belt features:
- Black color
- 1.5"
- Brushed nickle buckle
- Internal stiffler
- Cowhide

Slim IWB Holster "Mikes Special" holster features:
- Brown color
- More forward cant (5%)
- Sits lower (3/4" to 1" )
- Solid retention/rigid mouth
- Back protection
- Cowhide

OWB Mag Light Combo Holder features:
- Brown color
- Spare magazine pouch
- Sunwayman v11r flashlight pouch
- Cowhide

I am very comfortable with this setup and have wore it for hours on end. After wearing it a bit, you forget that you are carrying a 1911 on your hip...I believe the thick belt has something to do with that. The only weird thing that I am not used to is the occasional leather creaking noise when I move about. Not sure if that is the leather breaking in or that is just how leather holster setups go.

I really recommend this setup and very happy with my purchase. The long wait (about 3 months) was definitely worth it! I hope this may help anyone that is considering a holster for their Kimber.

Without further delay, here are some pictures of my rig and daily carry.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
nice setup. in my opinion you have a proper system to carry a 1911. the creaking may or may not go away. try some leather conditioner (not softener!). it may take some of the squeak away.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice looking set-up. Looks like a great choice for that particular weapon.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Very nice looking setup, why did you go with a black belt and brown holsters? I would think that if the belt and holsters were the same color they would be less conspicuous.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Nice set up! Wish someone would make a decent gun belt for women - that one's a bit 'manly' for me!! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Real nice carry rig. A good IWB holster makes a 1911 disappear.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice looking setup, why did you go with a black belt and brown holsters? I would think that if the belt and holsters were the same color they would be less conspicuous.
Hey Chuck43, that is a great question. I went with two different colors because I really like the brown leather look for holsters and I can use the black leather belt by itself for any of my business casual attire. Brown belts just do not look right on me for some reason!

Everyone, thank you for your compliments and don't give up Chickadee! There are plenty of options for conceal carry for women. If you want some ideas let me know, I think there are couple of youtube reviewers that might point you in the right direction.

-Shin0bi1

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Nice set up! Wish someone would make a decent gun belt for women - that one's a bit 'manly' for me!! :)

To be effective a gun belt has to be both thick and wide neither of which are feminine or fashionable.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very nice! Still waiting on my custom holster. Long wait but worth it!

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Ouch!!

Adding some more pictures...
With reference to the photo you posted: you may have positioned the pistol/holster for photo effect (I hope so). I feel compelled to make you aware that a pistol worn that high at the 3:00 position is guaranteed to break several ribs if you fall on your side or get in an auto accident. Feel the jab in the ribs every time you move?
setup.jpg

When I carry concealed, it's like a Marine's haircut, "High and Tight",
high & tight!.jpg
I place the pistol/holster combination behind my right hip at the 5:00 position. Your body will not bend over the pistol butt in that spot. Much more comfortable, safer and easier to conceal!! I'm just sayin......! YMMV

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With reference to the photo you posted: you may have positioned the pistol/holster for photo effect (I hope so). I feel compelled to make you aware that a pistol worn that high at the 3:00 position is guaranteed to break several ribs if you fall on your side or get in an auto accident. Feel the jab in the ribs every time you move?
/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why my kimber looks that high... normally it is between 3-4 o'clock position and the cant on the TT gunleather holster makes the pistol grip more forward instead of straight up. It is not near my ribs but i am worried if i fell or got into a car accident like you stated, I would mess up my organs or something.

I was thinking about the 5' oclock position but i dont like the idea that it is behind me because if i fall backwards wouldnt that damage my back?

What holster are you using for 5' oclock? It seems when I tried it last night, the pistol printed way more than when i have it in the 3-4 o'clock position for me.

-Shin0bi1

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you wear all that every day?
I wear this setup if I am doing minor physical activities and if I can wear my cargo pants and loose shirt. If I am doing more physical activities and wearing gym clothes, I am wearing my m&p shield/g code incog holster setup.

-Shin0bi1

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
My Main Rig!

I was thinking about the 5' oclock position but i dont like the idea that it is behind me because if i fall backwards wouldnt that damage my back?

What holster are you using for 5' oclock? It seems when I tried it last night, the pistol printed way more than when i have it in the 3-4 o'clock position for me.
-Shin0bi1
Shin0bi1,

My usual concealed carry is a Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield, that I carry in a Blackhawk Model 28 Askins Compact Concealment holster, at the 5 o'clock position, behind my right hip. Yes, if you fell and landed on the pistol, it would probably bruise your hipbone, not the spine. Then, any where you fell on a pistol is gonna hurt like hell!! But ribs break so much easier than hips!!

The M-28 holster keeps the Shield just above the belt line and firmly pulled in against the body. Next to no printing!! I have similar holsters (Bianchi Model-57) for my other carry pistols: a full size M&P40 and a Kimber Pro Carry II. They print just a touch (on someone built like me--KINDA PORKY--it's just another lump!!), but are extremely comfortable to wear all day.
Shield in Blackhawk Model 28 Holster.JPG
M&P40 Shield in Askins holster
M&P 40 FS in Bianchi M57 Holster.JPG 1911.and.Bianchi.57.holster.jpg
M&P40 FS and 1911 in Bianchi M-57 holsters

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey lineman73.

thanks for the suggestions! I tried to take my incog iwb holster and put it at the 5 o'clock position last night. I tried all different types of position for my shield and no dice! It prints and sticks out more prominently and screams gun when you view me from the back and side. I think because of my body shape and that i wear light/fitted atheletic t-shirts, this will not work for me. I might be able to do this during fall/winter/spring time with a jacket or something.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice

I forgot to mention that i'm 5ft 9" which makes me short and stocky lol

-Shin0bi1

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Heh, Heh, Heh!!

Hell, I wish I was as "short and stocky" as you look in that picture!! How about 5' 10" at 285 lbs.? THAT IS SHORT AND STOCKY!!!!! Actually, I'm just big boned!!!:eek::eek::eek: Right?!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts