Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quick question. Getting ready to head to the range and figured I'd better take it down and do a quick inspection. Who knows when it was last oiled. Pretty clean inside. The spare recoil assembly looks unused with no wear marks. But I notice the one installed has a yellow paint mark at the end of the spring, the spare does not. Anybody know if maybe one of those is factory and the other an aftermarket?
TIA,

D Dave View attachment 128648
...the new recoil springs that I just got from Kimber have the yellow paint... ...can't speak to the other one...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks for that guys.

Ok, here's the range report. Silly me, I field stripped the gun before going out just to inspect and oil it. I reckon I should have done the same with the mags. 🙄

So first of all, NONE of the six mags that came with it would drop if the slide was locked back. You couldn't even rip them out. Drop the slide and the mags drop free. Mag catch seems fine. Removed the Hogue grips and the magwell flare/extension and the problem disappeared. No problems with the stock grips installed. No witnesses marks on any of the mags to suggest the grip screws were too long. I'm going to do a little more diagnosis on that issue. I actually liked the Hogue grips more than I thought I would, so not giving up on that just yet.

Then, I found several of the mag followers dragging badly, causing some failures to feed, but it was clearly a mag issue, not a gun issue. And it seems they're all just Kimber factory magazines with bumpers attached to the bottoms. Weird. So they all need stripped, cleaned, and oiled.

Overall, the gun is a peach to shoot. Recoil was very mild so follow-up shots were easy. My concerns about the grip safety were totally unfounded. It fits my hand well, so engagement of the grip safety was always positive. The jury is still out on the stock sights for an old guy like me, but in all fairness, my contacts are kinda dirty right now. I'll start there. 🙄 I do think an extended slide release would be a welcome addition. I have one on my full size 1911 and like it, so I may do the same here.

It had no issues feeding either the 115 grain Blazer brass, or the 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dot JHP.

So I reckon I need to service the mags, see if I can sort out the mag ejection issues, maybe order an extended slide release, and go shoot it some more. I think these are all simple issues to resolve.

That's all I've got for now!

D Dave

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
The Hogue grips may have been blocking the mag release button on the back side. Check for clearance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The Hogue grips may have been blocking the mag release button on the back side. Check for clearance.
I'm pretty sure I figured it out. It isn't the Hogue grips, it's the magwell flare. It's slotted where it goes around the grip screws and it was too far forward and catching the back of the mag. I'm not exactly sure why it was different between slide forward or slide locked back, but I'm fairly certain that was the problem.

And how about those mags?!? No wonder they were so gunked up, they're a giant PIA to disassemble, clean, and resemble! I've already ordered a big bag of long swabs to clean them out, cuz holding a Q-tip with hemostats is just a pain. Not to mention the disassembly and reassembly. I'm gonna need to grow a third hand.

Anyway, anxious to take it back out to the range, now that I'm pretty sure I've got those few issues sorted out.

Stay tuned!

D Dave

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Cool! Not a fan of a magwell on a Ultra anyway...or any 1911 really however I do own 3 or so with magwells but they came that way from factory and I've left them original. I think most times they look good, I don't hate them I just don't usually add one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Cool! Not a fan of a magwell on a Ultra anyway...or any 1911 really however I do own 3 or so with magwells but they came that way from factory and I've left them original. I think most times they look good, I don't hate them I just don't usually add one.
Wow! I'd love to see pics of those. Shopping for a sexy 1911 is exactly how I ended up with an Ultra...because I can't afford a Wilson Combat. 🙄

D Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
I remember the first Wilson Combat I saw. I was browsing for compact/micro 9mms. They are beautiful guns! I plan on owning one sooner or later. They are definitely pricey.
I would need to read up more on their CS. If it's as good as Kimber's, I might dish out the cash... at some point.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Wow! I'd love to see pics of those. Shopping for a sexy 1911 is exactly how I ended up with an Ultra...because I can't afford a Wilson Combat. 🙄

D Dave
Ask and ye shall receive. WC CQB Compact 9mm, Kimber Gold Combat Limited Edition with Mammoth Ivory grips .45acp, Stainless Raptor 9mm (TFS). I think that's all I have with magwells?
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Hood Bicycle part

Reactions: dgf46 and bad ninja

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Wow, those are all very sexy! Nice collection.

No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth, just always busier than I want to be.

I've had the CDP out to the range a few times now and it STILL hasn't been reliable enough for carry duty! What the hell is up with these mags? I've scrubbed them and oiled them and the followers still stick sometimes and stop feeding! They're all Kimber mags, but one has a different follower than all the rest and has never failed. Should I just buy a couple of Wilson's and quit screwing with the factory mags?
The one with the black follower with a patent number on it has never stuck.
Wood Gadget Gesture Finger Wrist

But all the rest have this plain gray follower and have all been problematic.

Wood Finger Thumb Gadget Nail

Also, the problem with the mags not dropping was definitely a minor misadjustment of the magwell flare. That's definitely resolved. I think I'm going to be good with the stock sights. I've decided the Hogue grips are just too big for my dainty hands. The front strap checkering is priceless. The gray grips that came as extras with the gun actually look better, fit better, feel better than I anticipated. I do think an extended slide release is still on my radar as well. So I'm getting it sorted out, but what about these damn mags??
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
@Dangerous Dave some pics of your malfunctions might be helpful?
I'm puzzled I've never had a issue with the factory supplied magazines not even some no name magazines I've had for 40+ years. Put the mags you have aside for now, try some different new ones. Maybe different ammo?
My recommendation: If your needing mags for range use order some from this site joes1911magmania.com you can buy direct from him or find him on eBay by searching the same name. I have a lot of joes magazines and so does a lot of other members and they work fine.

For self defense/EDC magazines I carry a combination of KimPro Tac mags, Chip McCormick 10 round Power mags. I also have some Wilson Combat magazines that work fine but don't usually use them for EDC.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The mag I got with my Stainless II 10mm is like the one with the black follower. Full support to the feed ramp. It has not failed to feed yet. I ordered 4 Mec-gar with the little half-assed one side support and had 3 failures to feed on the first mag. I didn’t bother even opening the other 3. Emailed the vendor for a return, which they have failed to respond to. Sent them another email this evening.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
@Dangerous Dave some pics of your malfunctions might be helpful?
I'm puzzled I've never had a issue with the factory supplied magazines not even some no name magazines I've had for 40+ years. Put the mags you have aside for now, try some different new ones. Maybe different ammo?
My recommendation: If your needing mags for range use order some from this site joes1911magmania.com you can buy direct from him or find him on eBay by searching the same name. I have a lot of joes magazines and so does a lot of other members and they work fine.

For self defense/EDC magazines I carry a combination of KimPro Tac mags, Chip McCormick 10 round Power mags. I also have some Wilson Combat magazines that work fine but don't usually use them for EDC.

I don't have any pics of the failures, but I think I can describe them well enough. Occasionally, when you're just loading the mag, the follower will stick down (seems like the front edge) after pushing down to load the new round. It appears the front of the follower is stuck down against the front of the mag. You could actually just turn the mag over and start dumping rounds out because there's no tension against the lips on the top of the mag. When it fails during operation, the bullet tip will be stuck under the barrel feed ramp. The front edge of the follower is getting stuck inside the front of the mag. The black follower never does it, only the gray ones.

Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't use the WC mags for EDC?

Tanks,
D Dave

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
"I" don't use the WC mags for EDC because I'm using as spares 10 round Chip McCormick Power Mags, a regular KimPro Tac mag loaded in Super Carry Ultra Plus.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Those appear to be all .45. Mine is a 9.
DDave if your talking to me. Which brand mags are you talking about? "joes" has 45 and 9mm in compact size like you need, pretty sure KimPro and Wilson are available in 9mm, not sure about the CM Power mags. .45 is my EDC.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Reactions: stockmaker
41 - 60 of 63 Posts