Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it. I bought a Kimber Solo DC. Even after all of the warnings, negative forums, and bad vibes. Something about this little gun just called to me.
I love the way it handles overall and its size is perfect for concealed carry. Wait for it...BUT...
I have been less than impressed with its overall performance to date.

My main issues are...
1. The Solo seems to work "too hard" to accomplish anything. I know the tolerances are tight but everything seems to work hard, like it is working against itself. Just chambering a round seems difficult. My Sig 938 is just plain smooth, at everything, even my $199 Taurus G-2 is smoother. I didn't notice this at the shop, not until rounds were cycled. I have about 200 rounds through it now and it hasn't improved at all.

2. I have yet to find a hollow point round that doesn't occasionally hang up on the feed ramp. The angle of the rounds coming out of the magazine defy natural physics. Not to mention I can only load 5 rounds...forget getting that number 6 in! Maybe, if I hold my mouth right I can get 10 rounds in the other magazine but usually only 8 or 9. Oh yeah...and constantly insure that all of the rounds haven't shifted forward...must be pushed back or instant FTF.

3. The black "Kim-Pro" finish on the frame just plain sucks. I really think it was sprayed on out of a can. An $800 gun should be more durable...at least finish-wise! I dare anyone to put the slide pin back in while holding that &$#% spring in position and not scratch the frame finish...so frustrating!

4. Love the trigger, love the accuracy. Hate the magazines and chambering of a round!

I am really on the fence about just selling this now that I own one. I would not, at this point, ever consider carrying this as my primary weapon.

So...
Should I do a fluff and buff on the feed ramp? It looks rough to me, and the angle begs for friction.

Should I send it back or ???

The only reliable rounds it has fed have been Blazer 124 grain FMJ and believe it or not, Federal 115 Grain FMJ. Absolutely hates 147 Grain Winchester hollow points... And would not even chamber a perfecta round, that all of my other guns feed flawlessly. Remington's worked "okay".

·
Banned
2,326 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should send it back. My son-in-law got his back and it cycles any and everything now.

Mine had gotten to where it would not feed anything past the first round. It is due back from Yonkers in a few days. I don't know yet what is being done to it. Regardless of how it performs when it comes back, I am going to be a bit uncomfortable depending on it.

I did pick up a P938 2 weeks ago that I have fallen in love with. It reminds me so much of my Kimber 1911s that work flawlessly.

I love the look and feel of the Solo.....and it carries so well. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Fla.I am not a Solo owner so I have no advice to offer,however there are many folks here who have had both positive and negative experiences with thier Solo's and I'm sure they will offer valuable advice.Hope it all works out for you.Have a Happy Independence Day!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have a solo and sent it back to Yonkers plus had a Local smith go over it. It runs great and I love it. Yes it is stiff but I love carrying it. I also have a P938 and never carry it. You will love it when the bugs get worked out. My is the STS and I have no problem with the finish.

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Magic Guy. I'm not a Solo owner but I am a Kimber owner and I would suggest you send the gun back to the factory. Kimber will stand by their warranty and continue to work on the gun until they get it right. Pull a do it yourself fix or have another gunsmith work on it and you can kiss that warranty goodbye. The decision is yours to make, personally I'd send it back.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Welcome from Northeast, Pa.

I don't own a Solo but I would send it back. At least if you decide to sell it you know you're selling someone a gun that works.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I would send the gun back. I have had three Solo's and only sent one back. I upgrade each time. I now carry the DC daily and have had NO issues. I am seeing a little wear on the frame, but aluminum black fixes that. Mine, as with others, have found the Federal 124 HST works terrific. After a few hundred rounds of 124 and up, mine shoots anything now.

You know, I understand your frustration. You lay out a fair amount of dough, you expect pretty good things to happen. When they don't don't you feel some bitterness. Agree with JC, once it comes back from the factory and you want to unload it, at least your buyer will have a worthy pistol.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Welcome from southern Cal. Do not own a Solo I do have 3 Kimbers I absolutely love.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I own a Solo DC LG and it has worked flawlessly from day one, but you are right about how "stiff" the gun is and does require a little effort to rack a round.
The frame on mine also has shown a small wear amount where you install the slide stop pushing against the frame to capture the spring but not really noticeable.
The slide, however, is " Diamond Like Coated" and all the Solo DC owners seem to be universal in how tough that finish is.
I think the Solo is the only Kimber DC model that does have the Diamond Like Coating on the slide.
Great little gun if you get it working right so definitely send it back into Kimber to get that ramp polished and give it another chance.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The solo is a gun that you just want to love. I've had three solos, two were replacements from the previous ones. Not one of them was satisfactory and I no longer own it. Now I carry the P238 in warm weather and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Welcome from southern Cal. Do not own a Solo I do have 3 Kimbers I absolutely love.
Get thee behind me, Tom! There's a brand new, high-end Kimber that is paid for and waiting at my FFL for me to pick it up. I want to sell it while it is NIB, and make a few bucks. But guys like you keep tempting me! "Just give it a try," you say. "Try it, you'll like it." I've seen drug pushers with a softer sales pitch.

If I shoot the new Kimber, it will be like driving a new car off the lot. It will plummet in value. And if I end up liking it, I'll keep it, and I'll never make a single dime off of it. In fact, I'll spend hundreds more in holsters and ammo!

But it's a sparkly and pretty gun! How can I, a mere mortal, resist?

·
Registered
362 Posts
After a year frustration, three trips to the mothership I retired her to the sleeping beauty safe. Loved the gun. But just as you say too tight. You described the issues to a tee. I got a 938 to replace it. Perfect. Save yourself the aggrevation.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love mine, it shoots my carry ammo perfectly, Ultimate Defense 124 gr. Ultimate Defense is basically a Golden Saber.

I had issues when I bought it, with Hydra-Shok, so I sent it in. All they did was adjust the ejector and polish the feed ramp. The gun got better and better with use. I have over 1500 rounds though it and it functions perfectly. I still cannot shoot cheap range ammo through it reliably, but I never expected it to. Kimber was pretty clear on what the Solo required. I'm okay with that, I bought it to carry, and it shoots my carry ammo flawlessly. That's all I ask of it. When I want to plink more, I use my Shield with UMC. The Shield has many thousands more rounds through it.

I changed my spring not long ago, and tested it at the range. Works perfectly. I carry this gun every day. I love it.

Keep shooting it and it will loosen up. It is definitely a gun that needs to be shot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thanks for the advice everyone! I sent my DC Solo on summer vacation to Yonkers! Just received notice that she arrived safely at camp! Keeping my fingers crossed that the "little vacation" goes well. I'll keep everyone posted. I do want to comment on the customer service though. I spoke with Shaula (I am sure they have many reps) she was outstanding! I truly felt that she was sorry for the inconvenience of me having to send my Solo in for repair. Excellent communication, excellent follow-up...could not have been better!

·
Super Moderator
37,744 Posts
Shaula is a great service rep, the one time I had to send a gun in for a problem she took care of me. I won't mention any of the free swag that magically appeared in my mailbox.

Reactions: JC45 and 2sharp2

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've also found their Customer Rep's to be 1st Class. Kudo's go out to one that has treated me well: Reni Anderson.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts