Kimber Talk Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
AHH Shucks guys, I guess I am just the odd ball here because my brand new Solo SUX!!! and I am not tickled pink just to be fortunate enough to get to call Kimber CS and make friends with the nice people...

The only reason I called CS is to return my POS Solo to the factory in hopes that the fine folks at Kimber will grace me with the quality product that I paid for in the first place, the second time around instead of the first time like all the other gun manufacturers out there.

I guess I'll just make friends with CS and just be happy they let me buy their products (That suck) Then maybe I'll hit the jack pot and get a free grip screw one day...one day, maybe. If I am lucky.

I am starting to think that the majority of Kimber fan boys just buy safe queens and never have a problem because they don't actually use the weapons
First, if I purchased a gun that cost as much as a Solo and I had problems right out of the box I would be pissed too. I don't understand why Kimber can fix this gun after you buy it and not before.
I owned a Springfield XDS-45 and the day after I purchased this gun there was a recall and I had to send it back and it was gone for a long time. I didn't even get to shoot it once.The gun was unsafe and I was annoyed but Springfield made the repair and I had no more problems.

I have a S&W M&P 45 and my wife has one in 9mm, both had to be sent in for a recall and a second trip because the white dots wore off sights. S&W took care of this.

I have a Thompson 308 rifle that was also recalled and had to be sent back. They took care of the problem.

I had a Remington 870 super mag that went back to Remington 3x before they refunded my money. If I went on a Remington site and told them this gun sucked they would tell I'm out of my mind, this is the greatest shotgun ever. Well mine was a POS.
I wasn't happy to have to return these guns but I did and in the majority of cases the manufacturer took care of the problem and I hope the same happens for you.
I'm a fan of many guns, I own more S&W guns then Kimber's. You will probably find more people discuss multiple gun brands on this site then any other.
I not here to tell you not to be upset but Kimber isn't the only company to have issues with their guns. The times I've called Kimber their customer service has been great. I'm happy to know they stand by the product just like these other companies.

If your Solo comes back and it still doesn't work, bash it all you want. I would too.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don't understand why Kimber can fix this gun after you buy it and not before.
It's simple, JC. They can't fix the gun for the same reason you can't drive an AMC Pacer: They're both lemons.

Although I'm not a big fan of AMC's, I'll admit they made some nice cars. The Pacer wasn't one of them. It was a rolling junk pile from the day it left the factory. There's nothing you can do to that car to make it good, other than to trade it in on a beat-up Chevy.

The Solo is equally bad, but for different reasons. Just like a pilot shouldn't push beyond the envelope of his aircraft, a gun designer shouldn't exceed the limitations of the ammunition and human ergonomics. The problem with the Solo is that Kimber went too small and too light. The little slide needs a massive spring, resulting in a gun that barely functions on the best day. The size is so small that any stray dirt or oil will prevent the gun from working. Ammo that is not "just right" in regards to dimensions, weight, and power, will result in insufficient clearances to feed a new round, eject a fired round, or remove a failed round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My Solo is back from Yonkers...WOW!

I posted this as a new post, thought it would be helpful here...

Well, just received my Solo from Yonkers...WOW!
So, after a three week wait my Solo DC is back. I have not had a chance to test fire it yet, but I thought it may be an interesting read to hear what they corrected/replaced...here goes, hang on...

Per Kimber paperwork included with the return...

We performed the following work:
-The frame was refinished
-The magazine catch was replaced
-The barrel was refinished
-The chamber was reamed and polished
-The extractor was adjusted

It was test fired with (3)mags of Pierce 124 gr FMJ and (1) mag of Hornady 147 gr XTP

The following complimentary services were performed...
-The outer recoil spring, slide stop spring screw, magazine catch button spring, trigger bar spring screw, trigger spring, sear spring, and thumb safety pin were replaced.

WTF??? I think it would have been easier and less expensive for them to just replace this gun. Sheesh!

How could anyone release a weapon intended for personal defense with even one or two of these issues. It does make me question the entire company!

Don't get me wrong, the customer service and turn around time was exceptional, but how could any mechanical device have that many issues as a new product? I know they were being proactive with some of the fixes, but really?

Guess we'll see how it performs. Part of me just wants to trade it off and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Hi, Magic.
What they are doing is called "Shotgun Troubleshooting." The term has nothing to do with shotguns and nothing to do with shooting. It's a metaphor for throwing all your ideas in a wide pattern and hoping that one of them will hit your target.

The repairman at Kimber really hasn't a clue what's wrong or how to correct the problem, but he's hoping that by throwing enough new parts at your Solo, the problem will miraculously go away.

Really, there are only two approaches they can take with your gun:

1. They can give it to a competent gunsmith who will test the gun, make corrections, test it again, ad infinitum, until the gun is right.

2. They can give it to a repairman and have him change out all the parts, run a dozen rounds through it, send it back, and hope that you're happy.

Good luck, and I hope your gun is now a good one.
Rob

·
Registered
44 Posts

So, after a three week wait my Solo DC is back. I have not had a chance to test fire it yet, but I thought it may be an interesting read to hear what they corrected/replaced...here goes, hang on...

It was test fired with (3)mags of Pierce 124 gr FMJ and (1) mag of Hornady 147 gr XTP

-The outer recoil spring, slide stop spring screw, magazine catch button spring, trigger bar spring screw, trigger spring, sear spring, and thumb safety pin were replaced.

WTF??? I think it would have been easier and less expensive for them to just replace this gun. Sheesh!

How could anyone release a weapon intended for personal defense with even one or two of these issues. It does make me question the entire company!

Don't get me wrong, the customer service and turn around time was exceptional, but how could any mechanical device have that many issues as a new product? I know they were being proactive with some of the fixes, but really?

Guess we'll see how it performs. Part of me just wants to trade it off and be done with it.
Just curious. is everything that you have purchased in your lifetime been perfect till now? If so you are one lucky guy. Also make sure you read the manual as it often helps. Not saying you didn't, just saying do it if you didn't. Then of course you may just have purchased a bad firearm. It is not like a losing lottery ticket. No need to throw it away. They will remedy it for you. Or you can sell it to me for a huge loss. At least it will be out of your hair.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Just curious. is everything that you have purchased in your lifetime been perfect till now? If so you are one lucky guy. Also make sure you read the manual as it often helps. Not saying you didn't, just saying do it if you didn't. Then of course you may just have purchased a bad firearm. It is not like a losing lottery ticket. No need to throw it away. They will remedy it for you. Or you can sell it to me for a huge loss. At least it will be out of your hair.
I know lots of used car/craiglist duds that practice your point.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Just curious. is everything that you have purchased in your lifetime been perfect till now?
The reliability of a carry gun is usually considered a bit more seriously than a lot of other things purchased.

If my toaster fails to toast bread when press the handle I'll likely survive the ordeal. If my carry gun fails when I press the trigger... maybe not survive.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Looks like Kimber went all out to make this gun work for you so the question is, how has it performed since Kimber gave it the works?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The reliability of a carry gun is usually considered a bit more seriously than a lot of other things purchased.

If my toaster fails to toast bread when press the handle I'll likely survive the ordeal. If my carry gun fails when I press the trigger... maybe not survive.
Agreed. Also then instructions should be followed much closer on the more serious things. Such as when you purchase a high performance car you should use premium fuel not the bottom grade. Keep it exactly up to specs. Don't cut corners, you purchased a high performance vehicle. Also if you purchase a high performance firearm that requires and suggests you use premium ammo and you want to use lesser weight and reloads maybe you should not have purchased said firearm in the first place. Maybe you do use said ammo and your firearm still does not function properly. That is when you need Customer Service. However if you use faulty ammo you do not need customer service not do you need to write bad reviews what you need to do is use common sense. Just saying. However there is always the possibility that one purchased a lemon. Again that is where Customer Service can help.

I have just purchased a used Solo and am hoping for the best. Have not yet had a chance to shoot it. Hope I do not need Customer Service. However if I do I have already spoken to them to check when gun was manufactured and ordered an extra magazine and was reassured that even that I purchased it used they would stand behind it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I have just purchased a used Solo and am hoping for the best. Have not yet had a chance to shoot it. Hope I do not need Customer Service. However if I do I have already spoken to them to check when gun was manufactured and ordered an extra magazine and was reassured that even that I purchased it used they would stand behind it.
So you bought a Solo and haven't tried to fire it yet but you're giving advice and arguing with experienced Solo owners? Wonder why the last owner sold it. Get out, shoot it and then tell us what you think.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Agreed. Also then instructions should be followed much closer on the more serious things. Such as when you purchase a high performance car you should use premium fuel not the bottom grade. Keep it exactly up to specs. Don't cut corners, you purchased a high performance vehicle. Also if you purchase a high performance firearm that requires and suggests you use premium ammo and you want to use lesser weight and reloads maybe you should not have purchased said firearm in the first place. Maybe you do use said ammo and your firearm still does not function properly. That is when you need Customer Service. However if you use faulty ammo you do not need customer service not do you need to write bad reviews what you need to do is use common sense. Just saying. However there is always the possibility that one purchased a lemon. Again that is where Customer Service can help.
I agree with you.

It's a bitching disgusting marketing world where our buying power is restricted by limited quality R&D on everyday products offered to American shoppers. Regardless if it's a Kimber/Solo, Chevrolet/Corvette or Trojan/variety pack.

Reactions: RustyIron

·
Registered
44 Posts
So you bought a Solo and haven't tried to fire it yet but you're giving advice and arguing with experienced Solo owners? Wonder why the last owner sold it. Get out, shoot it and then tell us what you think.
No one is arguing with anyone. Calm down huckleberry. I have been shooting quite a while now and am fully aware that one must shoot their firearm before they can comment on it, or at lest they should. However there are some procedures that should be followed before shooting. Such as reading the manual for one, then do as it suggests. Maybe you disagree. That is entirely up to you.

If the manual suggests to use premium ammo and no less than let us say 115 grain weight, then my lightening quick mind tells me that I should not use 115 grain ammo, and if I do and it does not function correctly, I should not complain that the weapon is problematic. Again maybe that is just me and you may see things differently.

You wonder why the previous owner sold my Solo. Gee that is a wonderful question. I wonder why anyone sells a gun that they purchased. Well if they didn't there would be no used gun market would there. How sad would that be? So you just keep on wondering and tell me what you come up with as an answer. We are all anxious to hear what you think.

I am curious. Do you know anyone who has ever sold a gun before? is the only reason they sold it because it does not function properly, because that seems to be what you are implying? If that is the case, there are one heck of a lot of guns for sale that don't work. :) I sure hope that is not the case. :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
image.jpeg I know a little bit about high performance driving machines. High octane fuel, synthetic oil, high performance tires etc. And I've read the manuel. I've also put thousands of miles on it.
I've also owned 3 brand new Solos, read the manual and put hundreds of rounds through each. Now, is there something else you want to tell me about your new paper weight? Cuz that's all it is till you put a couple hundred flawless rounds through it. Anxiously awaiting a reange report.
PS: I'm hoping it runs good for you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with you.

It's a bitching disgusting marketing world where our buying power is restricted by limited quality R&D on everyday products offered to American shoppers. Regardless if it's a Kimber/Solo, Chevrolet/Corvette or Trojan/variety pack.
Hold on now, what's this about the trojan variety pack?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I guess when it comes to a small carry pistol high performance ought to mean that it a) has an extremely high probability that it will fire all loaded rounds when called upon, b) fired rounds go where they are aimed, and c) the weapon can reliably and quickly be reloaded for continued fire. Given the size constraint, it is understandable that there could be operating limits requiring specific ammo atributes, etc. These are typically documented in the manual.

Where things get sketchy is when the actual operating limits are out of specification for what was intended in the design and what a typical user should expect. These are typically not in the manual.

Reactions: RustyIron
41 - 60 of 71 Posts