Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Saleen, never seen a Pro Carry with a OD Green frame before. So you sent off your new Pro Carry and had the frame cerakoted green, highlighted "Kimber" script on the slide and added VZ? grips. Anything else we can't see?

I guess my Classic Carry Pro with factory Bone grips is one of my favorite Pro size Kimber's very accurate.
Classic Carry Pro Bone Grips.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saleen, never seen a Pro Carry with a OD Green frame before. So you sent off your new Pro Carry and had the frame cerakoted green, highlighted "Kimber" script on the slide and added VZ? grips. Anything else we can't see?

I guess my Classic Carry Pro with factory Bone grips is one of my favorite Pro size Kimber's very accurate. View attachment 126096
The entire gun is Cerikoted. The slide is slate black. The only change other than the ones you pointed out is I changed to the HiViz sights. Great eye! Beautiful piece you have there yourself!

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Thanks. Ah, I couldn't see the HiViz sights, now that you mention it the black of the slide looks better than factory KimPro finish.
I think the older Bone gripped Classic Carry Pro's had Turnbull bluing?

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Everyone should have a pro carry!!

Little bit of holster wear but reliable as the day is long. Set of Hogue Laser Grips for the night carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Thanks. Ah, I couldn't see the HiViz sights, now that you mention it the black of the slide looks better than factory KimPro finish.
I think the older Bone gripped Classic Carry Pro's had Turnbull bluing?
Arland you are correct, the Classic Carry Pro's were sent to TurnBull Restoration for charcoal bluing. The original bone grips are on the gun, alongside a set of ivory grips I had made for it when it was still legal to buy them.
20210408_184927.jpg

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Wingnut, be careful. When I found mine they had been "out of production" for awhile however some real bone gripped models still existed in the wild along with a lot of the "newer" G10 gripped version. Some shady dealers and people tried to pass off G10 models for Bone and at Bone model prices.
My Classic Carry Pro is one of the few Kimber's I own that I paid full price for but have always been happy to get it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I've always wished Kimber would dump any 'painted' finish, and just use hot blue like all the makers did for over 100 years.

My blued Colts, Browinings and Smiths are a pleasure to hold and admire with their polished flats and deep blue. A painted finish, no matter what catchy name you attach to it, is still a painted finish, and is nowhere near as nice as a well done hot blue job on a polished steel firearm. I'd pony up and accept the added cost to obtain guns so treated, and I'm sure most all aficionados would agree. Even my Kimber Clackamas Custom Classic is hot blued, not polished to a high degree, but still wears better, looks better, and is not prone to chipping or peeling of any sort. Chuck's Classic Carry Pro above is another good example of well done bluing.

Kimber, are you listening? (Probably not......)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the compliments! The moment I opened the box I was not happy with the bluing. Looked thin and splotchy. The very next day I had it over to my Cerikote guy. I’ve had several blued guns in the past and this by far was the worst I’ve seen on a factory gun. On the flip side I’m ecstatic on how it looks now and it’s my own creation.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jekyl, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

Reactions: Jekyl
1 - 20 of 20 Posts