Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's race, the "Toyota/Save Mart 350" will be held at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma California. Sonoma Raceway is a 1.99 mile road course not the usual oval type track that NASCAR races on. The race will be broadcast on TNT and it's scheduled to start at 3:19 PM ET.

They call it the 350, the race is 110 laps on a 1.99 mile track and doing a little quick math in my head unless I'm missing something that works out to 216.9 miles so what's with the 350?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Your math seems good to me. Maybe the start time should have been 3:50?? Seems silly to me, but I'm not a NASCAR fan at all. I'd rather see sprint cars on a dirt track!!

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your math seems good to me. Maybe the start time should have been 3:50?? Seems silly to me, but I'm not a NASCAR fan at all. I'd rather see sprint cars on a dirt track!!
When it comes to driving in circles dirt tracks are my favorite, I love watching both the modified and sprint cars.

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been searching for a half an hour to see why they call it the 350 when it's only 218.9 miles..
No luck yet...:confused:
Jeff, I looked for about a 20 minutes before I posted it and finally gave up.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Ticket holders should sue them for fraud. You pay to watch a 350 mile race and all you get is 218.9 miles?!? :eek: That ain't right.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I'm about to also..
The history of the race started in 1989 and has never been a 350 mile day.
The longest was in 2004 at 224.87 miles and the shortest was in the years 1989-1997 at 186.48 miles..

We will just add this to the list of "Things that make us go hmmm".

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take a guess and say that a 350 mile race would run too long for TV. On this track they will average about 77 mph, 350 miles at that speed would take about 5 hours to run provided there weren't any big accidents that involved a lot of cleaning up.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I'm going to take a guess and say that a 350 mile race would run too long for TV. On this track they will average about 77 mph, 350 miles at that speed would take about 5 hours to run provided there weren't any big accidents that involved a lot of cleaning up.
Makes since to me and it sounds better to hear Toyota 350 than the Toyota 218.9...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts