Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During break-in of my UC2 I had a few FTFs, primarily from grit and packing grease. Again, mea culpa. The issue I had was that most of those--by luck or reason--were with the new HST round.

After two thorough cleanings, nothing ever happened again. In the back of my mind I still wonder.

Over coffee today at B&N, I caught an article based on the development of the HST. Supposedly the round was designed over two years ago, but initially only released to law enforcement for field testing.

Now, I believe little if anything in a gun rag that reports on equipment from advertisers, but the article implied this round was the latest and greatest.

In my UC2 I've found that the load that works the best is the Hornady Critical defense--I cannot feel the hint of a round cycling, it's that smooth. The close second is The Guard Dog; it's claim to fame is that feeds when the gun is filthy, so I keep a Tac-Mag loaded with them in my jacket, just in case.

Am I missing something in doubting the HST? But I have to tell you, even us chiseled featured Adonis GQ models have to watch our pennies. I'd hate to blow a few hundred bucks finding the article was hype.

What's your recent experience?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I found with my ultra covert if I used this style hollow points I would have trouble feeding. when I switched to hornady ftx .the ones tapered with little red dot in the end, I had no problems at all. Not sure if that answers you questions but that's my 2 cents worth .

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hornady ftx...Not sure if that answers you questions but that's my 2 cents worth.
I does answer part of the equation. The Critical Defense I mentioned is also known as your FTX, we are successfully using the same cartridge.

Right now I using the remaining HST rounds I have as the first ones in the magazine followed by the FTXs.

If the HST is as lethal as claimed, then my first shot uses this advantage. But I'm with you on the cycling performance of the Hornady.

My concern is whether to replace the HST rounds if it's ever required. Right now, I'm reluctant. But I had to search out the FTX cartridges in my area. The stores had none.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I started looking at the shape and length of the hollow acp after I had problems feeding in my ultra. never gave it any thought before that. the shorter ones kind a stove up in the gun. My full size kimbers don't have the same problem. I think I could shoot rocks out of them and they would still feed. I haven't gave any thought into how lethal they would be, now I have something else to research lol thanks a lot.....

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
The fact that the chosen bullet functions in your gun is more important then what anyone with a ballistic gel block and a you tube account says about it's performance.

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The fact that the chosen bullet functions in your gun is more important then what anyone with a ballistic gel block and a you tube account says about it's performance.
I agree. My concern was that I eliminated the HST from consideration simply by reading old, outdated information.

Additionally, my use of the HST rounds was limited, and any FTF might have been more influenced by not thoroughly cleaning the pistol on the first shooting.

The pistol has to go "bang" first time, every time.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Down here in Texas one of our biggest challenges is the Zombies. That's why I use the Zombie Killers with the green dot in the center. They feed fine in my UCC2. I agree with Chuck, dance with the one that brung you.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Not that it's needed, but I agree. i run gold dot through all mine, because they will. Some of these new ones may be 'better', but....

·
Registered
24 Posts
At the risk of being dubbed The Broken Record, It is my confirmed belief that failures to feed are caused by, operator error (handling, cleaning or lubrication), a defective gun or defective ammo. A properly functioning gun should, reliably, fire any ammo made to SAAMI specs.

After running several hundred rounds through my Eclipse Pro II and learning the proper lubrication procedure (I use gun grease on all sliding surfaces) it will reliably fire anything I feed it, cheap, costly or reloads.

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A properly functioning gun should...
I'm with you 95% of the way. A properly maintained anything should function. But it's not a perfect world.

You're also talking to a guy who had a "properly maintained" GoldWing engine completely frag between his legs at highway speed.

On that subject, I was checking my other carry guns last week, and found a dust bunny between the hammer and slide of my P238. (I had worn it under a flannel shirt). Granted, that's why we do maintenance, to stave off routine wear and dirt.

I'm not saying a magic ogive design is going to cure all 1911 feeding issues, but I'm trying to eliminate any obstacle that might effect the pistol when I desperately need it.

And in my personal Kimber, the Hornady rounds cycle as smoothly as anything I've seen. If I can, I want to find a few other profiles that do as well. So far, the HST is getting good press, and I'd like it to work in my firearms, too.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
+1 for Critical Defense. I like that round. Have it in my .40s. Couldn't find it for my .45s so I went with the PDX and it shoots well also.

If this video is too off topic, let me know and I'll delete it.

Reactions: Richard

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
This one is better:

Reactions: Richard

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'Gator, I found my .45 ACP Critical Defense on the Gander Mountain website and they shipped it right to my door. No shipping costs, and cheaper than the outlet in my area.

Just to be safe, I bought three boxes.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
How Would a Round-Nose FMJ Compare

I have seen other tests like these, which were great, by the way. In almost every test where the bullet was fired through denim, the denim plugged the hollow and caused the bullet to fail to expand.

My question is: Has anybody run comparison tests through denim and into ballistics gel using 230 gr. FMJ and PDX1 bullets to compare? How about through other types of clothing, including leather jackets or heavy, padded coats? If hollow points fail to expand when fired through clothing, why spend the extra money on them, unless you expect to be defending yourself on the beach? Why wouldn't a simple 230 gr. FMJ with a round nose be every bit as effective for self defense as a hollow point, but for a lot less money? Does anybody know? Has this ever been tested?

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
The .45 FMJ has proven itself for over 100 years on the battle field. My only interest in a HP is to slow the bullet down going through it's intended target to lessen the chance of it going on and hitting someone else. How much penetration do we need, my chest is 11" deep.

Reactions: Tom O.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
The .45 FMJ has proven itself for over 100 years on the battle field. My only interest in a HP is to slow the bullet down going through it's intended target to lessen the chance of it going on and hitting someone else. How much penetration do we need, my chest is 11" deep.
Totally agree. My interest in HP rounds is to not over penetrate and hit unintended targets and to possibly cause as much shallow trauma as possible so the attacker shocked/stunned by the impact itself. Don't really care if it kills the sleaze or not, but I want him to be physically and/or mentally incapacitated.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That's a good point, but ballistics gel doesn't have bones in it -- your chest does. If the bullet hits a rib, does it change the wound? If your attacker weighs 350 lbs. and is wearing leather, are you convinced you can bring him down?

I seem to recall a story about an Illinois State Trooper back in the '80s who was attacked by a 350 lb. biker wearing leathers and wielding a chain. The trooper shot him nine times with a 9mm S&W before the man went down, leading to questions about the choice of weapons for the Illinois State Police. I first heard this story in the early '80s.

Look how many shots it took for Officer Wilson to stop Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO. Hollow points didn't seem to do a lot of good until the final shot.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
And yet today they still carry 9mm's.... why, because most LEO's don't shoot much and after their initial training they don't get much else.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Totally agree. My interest in HP rounds is to not over penetrate and hit unintended targets and to possibly cause as much shallow trauma as possible so the attacker shocked/stunned by the impact itself. Don't really care if it kills the sleaze or not, but I want him to be physically and/or mentally incapacitated.
Yes, but tests with ballistics gel consistently show that hollow points frequently fail to expand when fired through clothing like denim. Hollow points normally have a higher muzzle velocity than FMJs. If the HP doesn't expand, isn't it an even greater threat to bystanders than a slower FMJ? I'm not asking this to start an argument. I'm asking because I genuinely don't know the answer.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
And yet today they still carry 9mm's.... why, because most LEO's don't shoot much and after their initial training they don't get much else.
They carry 9mm's because the bureaucracy made a decision that that's what they should carry. In many jurisdictions, police carry .40 cal, or even .45 cal handguns. It's not like they have a lot of choice. Clearly, the folks who run the Illinois State Police didn't learn much from the incident I described.

Even Officer Wilson in Ferguson, MO was not able to stop Michael Brown with one or two shots, and he was shooting a .40 cal. with hollow points.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts