Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Seems like some great folks and a lot of information here. I just bought my first Kimber, a Micro 9 stainless SHOT Show special. It's also my first 9mm. My EDC has been a Ruger LCP but I wanted a little more power.

I love the look and feel of the pistol. I actually prefer the rubber grips for the feel. The only ammo I could find was 115 gr Federal FMJ and some Hornady American Gunner HPs, so I'll keep looking for some 147 gr for the break-in.

In the meantime, the first 50 rounds I had a dozen or more FTF, usually on the 2nd round in the mag. It ejects fine, but the next round wouldn't lift to the chamber and got jammed. It seemed like most of the FTFs were coming from one mag, so I watched for it. Sure enough, one mag was OK, the other bad. I ordered 3 more mags from Kimber, since I'll need them anyway. I'll shoot another box of rounds and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
37,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dimondale, Mi. Gufenov.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome from Oregon...
And to the micro 9 growing pains...

I have the little Rapide it started working well after 100 rds

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome from southern oregon, lived in eufala for a year or two.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome to the forum from north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line...

Regarding the Kimber Micro 9(what I ended up doing for mine):
...clean thoroughly...
...sling shot load the first round of each magazine during breakin - 400+ rounds
...shoot it with the slide wet
...firm grip no limp wrist
...124 grain FMJ to breakin (mine didn't like reloads during the breakin)
...tap the magazine prior to using to seat the rounds
...I had to watch my right thumb as it would try to ride up on the lower portion of the slide which slowed the recoil sequence causing FTE and FTF issues...
...mine is a great shooter after I worked thru all my issues...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: the Micro 9 is on its way back to Kimber. About 160 rounds downrange, with no FTFs, but as others have reported the mags would pop out from the recoil. I'm guessing a new mag release & spring plus whatever else they want to do. I also asked for repair or replacement for the defective magazine. I'm guessing its easier for them to just send a new one but we'll see. I'm about 3 hours from Troy, so that'll cut down on shipping time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Update. Received the Micro 9 back from Kimber today. Shipped on Tuesday, returned the following Wednesday with a day off for icy roads.
Replaced the Magazine catch spring, adjusted the extractor and polished the feed ramp, chamber, firing pin housing and breech face. So far, the service is impressive.

As promised, here are photos of the 9 in its new Recluse Two-Sided pocket holster.

I'll shoot it in the next day or two and decide if it's ready for EDC.

Thanks for all the helpful advice on this forum. Oklahomabound, your checklist for new Kimbers is spot on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts