Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some homework before I buy my 1st Kimber brought me here. Looks like a good group of folks from what I've read so far. Hopefully I won't need to post too much on here. I'm from the Buffalo area and I've had my CC permit for about 16 months...then everything went sideways. No ranges, ammo hoarding...Fortunately things are getting better as far as that goes. Was able to score some syntech 9mm for my VP9SK since the range I'm planning on going to is synthetic only....45ACP synthetic is still hard to find right now but my question would be how does synthetic ammo compare to FMJ? Thanks in advance.

SS

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Southeast Texas. I've shot some of the 9 mm Synth ammo in my Glock. No Problems, but the Kimber Micro 9 was not as pleased with it. Haven't seen any of it in 45

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum from Southeast Texas. I've shot some of the 9 mm Synth ammo in my Glock. No Problems, but the Kimber Micro 9 was not as pleased with it. Haven't seen any of it in 45
Does the synth fire cleaner than FMJ and lead? Granted I clean my stuff very well on a regular basis (former Army so...). I'm just curious to know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome @sharkyshizzle ...FMJ is a copper encapsulated lead core whereas as the Syntec round is a synthetic encapsulated frangible lead core. Frangible so they disintegrate when hitting steel.

Synthetic bullets claim to fame is they are slipperier than their copper jacketed counter parts thus causing less friction and heat.

As far as cleaner shooting.. they are about the same. You'll have to clean the powder residue from your firearm regardless of what ammo your shooting.

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dimondale, Mi. sharkyshizzle, sorry, I've never shot synthetic ammo.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Reactions: sharkyshizzle

·
Registered
593 Posts
Doing some homework before I buy my 1st Kimber brought me here. Looks like a good group of folks from what I've read so far. Hopefully I won't need to post too much on here. I'm from the Buffalo area and I've had my CC permit for about 16 months...then everything went sideways. No ranges, ammo hoarding...Fortunately things are getting better as far as that goes. Was able to score some syntech 9mm for my VP9SK since the range I'm planning on going to is synthetic only....45ACP synthetic is still hard to find right now but my question would be how does synthetic ammo compare to FMJ? Thanks in advance.

SS
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts