Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on the Kimber forum.......bummer that it has to be a negative one.

I just purchased a 3" Kimber K6S from Midway USA. I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I read many reviews on this revolver, and bought it because of all the positive reviews I read. I own other 357s, so I have other guns to compare the K6S with.

First of all, it is quite obvious that Midway sold me a used gun. There are powder burns on the forcing cone and the front face of the cylinder. Also, the recoil shield has tell-tale signs. I have complained to Midway about this, but so far they are bobbing and weaving.

Upon dry-firing I noticed that the DA trigger pull is horrible. I'm not sure how to describe it, but at the end of the trigger travel, it feels like it is locked up. It takes an effort to finish the travel, right when you would be expecting it to become lighter.

I am torn between contacting Kimber to see if they will take a look at it, or continuing my "conversation" with Midway....they state they have a "No Return" policy under any circumstances.

Any ideas/advice on the trigger pull issue?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So .. did you pay for new and got used one ..?
If it's used then I think you should do a Through cleaning & lube ..
Better yet .. bring it to LGS smith to clean and inspection.
Then call Kimber for any problems you have .. and work it out with them
You might pay for it though ..??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
...welcome to the forum from north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line...

...I recommend that you call Kimber and gently explain what happened with your dealings with Midway (you now understand why I quit dealing with Midway 9 months ago-they ain't the same folks that they used to be)... ...then send it to kimber and let them go thru your gun (clean, fix all that needs to be addressed) whether they do it for free or not....

...I would not do the gun smith thing at all... let Kimber address your issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Midway USA says that they don't sell used guns......only new ones. So, my first issue is with them. I contacted Customer Service, and they said they will research it, and get back to me. However, they do no acccept returns on firearms.

Secondly, I am not real excited about having a LGS "inspect" it at my expense. I did register it with Kimber, so I guess I will ask about their warranty policy on a supposedly "new" gun. I have a feeling that this is going to go on for a while.....

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Maybe it didn't pass the initial test firing at the factory so it was reworked and then underwent more extensive firing before final QC pass... who knows. I've read so much bs from people here who were convinced they bought a used gun because it was dirty from factory firing. One LGS pulled out several new Micros for a disgruntled customer to show him they all looked the same.

Clean it. If the gun meets your inspection then I'd shoot it some. If ya still don't like the trigger call Kimber.

Sellers generally don't accept firearm returns after transfer. The time to inspect a firearm is prior to transfer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have bought new firearms before.......Colt Python, Colt Anaconda, Ruger GP100, Ruger Super Blackhawk, to name a few. You can generally tell "factory firing" just by looking at it. I have never seen a new revolver that shows the signs of being fired as I described in my first post.......never.

As far as inspecting it goes, I was not about to start dry-firing it at the FFL, a pawn shop with 8 customers and staff standing around in a room about the size of my living room. That might have gotten a little exciting.

I'll call Kimber on Monday, and go from there. I'm staying optimistic. It's just a little frustrating paying $1000 for a new gun and not be able to enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sasquatch, I'd suggest you just sit on the gun for right now. Give Kimbers customer service a call on Monday morning and politely describe what you think is wrong with the gun.

Customer Service

888-243-4522
M-F, 9:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. Eastern

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Nobody is happy when their new gun isn’t functioning properly. I would make the call the way Chuck explained, this might not go on as long as you think. Good luck

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
First you should have "inspected" (not dry fire) the K6 BEFORE signing the transfer papers. That would have been the time to say: hey looks very used, I don't accept this. Send it back to Midway.
Your beef is with Midway. Your approaching it wrong with Midway. OK, they don't "sell" used guns but you may have been sold a "Demo" or at least a pistol that someone had fired a good bit.

Last thing: I would for SURE NOT take it apart, but clean and lube maybe. If you send it back to Kimber for warranty or service you don't want it to appear that it has been Bubba Smith' by you or someone else cause if it looks that way, warranty will be denied and YOU will be on the hook to pay for the repairs and to return your K6 to factory specs.

I remember a few stories of NEW K6's locking up some on the first shot or after one or two cylinders. Lots of complaints of heavy triggers on the K6. The K6 triggers are like Forrest's box of chocolates you never know what your going to get but it's usually HEAVY.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First you should have "inspected" (not dry fire) the K6 BEFORE signing the transfer papers. That would have been the time to say: hey looks very used, I don't accept this. Send it back to Midway.
Your beef is with Midway. Your approaching it wrong with Midway. OK, they don't "sell" used guns but you may have been sold a "Demo" or at least a pistol that someone had fired a good bit.

Last thing: I would for SURE NOT take it apart, but clean and lube maybe. If you send it back to Kimber for warranty or service you don't want it to appear that it has been Bubba Smith' by you or someone else cause if it looks that way, warranty will be denied and YOU will be on the hook to pay for the repairs and to return your K6 to factory specs.

I remember a few stories of NEW K6's locking up some on the first shot or after one or two cylinders. Lots of complaints of heavy triggers on the K6. The K6 triggers are like Forrest's box of chocolates you never know what your going to get but it's usually HEAVY.
Not to be a PITA, but you obviously didn't read my post with regard to Midway NOT accepting returns. I had already paid for the gun and transfer to the tune of $1000. I could stand there at the FFL and say "Nope, I'm not accepting this gun". Then what ???

My beef is with Midway, no argument. But they already told me to take it up with Kimber. I'm done with Midway, except for giving them negative feedback wherever I can.

I did my due diligence before deciding to buy this Kimber. I read probably 7-8 reviews on the gun before I bought it. Every review, every one, went on and on about the DA trigger. My 60 year-old S&W Model 10 has a better trigger. Oh, well.....live and learn.

I'm not gonna take it apart....I'm not gonna even clean it. If Kimber will let me send it in, I will. If not.....then I just put in it my safe and shoot my Pythons, my Anacondas, my assorted Rugers, my Smiths, and shoot it if I feel like. I'll get over it......eventually.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
2Sharp2 is correct. The time to inspect a gun is prior to transfer.

In this particular case, I don't see much reason to not have accepted the gun. The likelihood that it's used (pre-owned) is nil. That the trigger doesn't meet the buyer's satisfaction is subjective, but Kimber will accommodate the buyer with a free RMA to determine if the trigger is within specs.

If it's something that a buyer simply cannot live with and doesn't want the manufacture to remedy, the FFL can advise Midway that the buyer cannot pass background check. The buyer will be subject to a restocking fee. If the buyer has remorse prior to the firearm arriving at the FFL, the FFL can refuse delivery and it will be shipped back.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My 2” Kimber K6 has a better trigger than my Smith Performance center 627 and is my go to over all my 357’s. Send it back to Kimber and let them do their thing with it. You’ll get back something that will never sit in the safe. Call customer service and they’ll take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
2Sharp2 is correct. The time to inspect a gun is prior to transfer.

In this particular case, I don't see much reason to not have accepted the gun. The likelihood that it's used (pre-owned) is nil. That the trigger doesn't meet the buyer's satisfaction is subjective, but Kimber will accommodate the buyer with a free RMA to determine if the trigger is within specs.

If it's something that a buyer simply cannot live with and doesn't want the manufacture to remedy, the FFL can advise Midway that the buyer cannot pass background check. The buyer will be subject to a restocking fee. If the buyer has remorse prior to the firearm arriving at the FFL, the FFL can refuse delivery and it will be shipped back.
I guess you just do business differently than do I. I had already passed the background check. You suggest that the FFL lie to Midway? I make it a practice not to do business with those who consider lying just part of the game. That would include the FFL I deal with, who is an honest man with a reputation he is proud of. And buyer's remorse had nothing to do with it. As far as I knew, I was paying $100 for a new Kimber, not a used one.

But I will be making a call to Kimber on Monday morning.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I guess you just do business differently than do I. I had already passed the background check.
Indeed. I make it a practice to inspect a gun prior to transfer.

Don't feel alone. A lot of people have come here claiming their new gun is used based on shooting residue, transfer the gun prior to inspection, or don't even bother to look at the gun before they get home. Not too long ago there was a preacher here suffering hissy fit over a S&W revolver he had transferred prior to inspecting.

Threads like this one are intended for folks to learn from the mistakes of others. No doubt some never learn.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
I read your post Sasquatch! Policy? Whatever it's not yours until you sign the FFL paperwork...

I doubt your K6 is used, meaning had been owned and fired by someone else. I'm certain you see signs of factory test firing and Kimber never cleans any pistol after testing. Could your new K6 have some trigger issues? Hell yes and probably does.

Let us know what happens, how about some pics of the used K6?

I also have some decades old Smith's that are better IMO than any K6.

Good luck.

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Should have bought a Colt Lawman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Indeed. I make it a practice to inspect a gun prior to transfer.

Don't feel alone. A lot of people have come here claiming their new gun is used based on shooting residue, transfer the gun prior to inspection, or don't even bother to look at the gun before they get home. Not too long ago there was a preacher here suffering hissy fit over a S&W revolver he had transferred prior to inspecting.

Threads like this one are intended for folks to learn from the mistakes of others. No doubt some never learn.

Good luck.
Well, I guess you and I just do things differently. I have been owning/selling/buying guns for over 50 years. I don't lie, and I don't misrepresent guns, or anything else I sell. And, I expect others to treat me with the same respect. In this case, I bought a gun online from Midway. I fully expected it to be as represented. It wasn't.

Things will get resolved. Hopefully, Kimber will be a little more straightforward in their business dealings than was Midway. Guess we will see. But, I won't be lying to people to get my issue taken care of.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
First off, I do not own a K6, but like the OP, I've been buying/selling guns for over 50 years also, have many pistols and revolvers.

That said, and not having seen the OP's revolver, but reading all these posts and trying to also "read between the lines", it appears from a distance that this particular revolver was fired more in post-production or QC than many of us are accustomed to. This would account for what the OP is now seeing, and could be attributed to many possible issues the factory was working on to get the weapon shipped.

I have serious doubts that this is indeed a used gun, but is just displaying signs of extended factory test firing. Sound reasonable?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts