Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So, out of the box, a good cleaning is required. Not a show-stopper but it does take the initial thrill out of receiving a new shooter.
To me, when a new gun comes home, I look forward to a complete break-down and through cleaning. It's actually somewhat of a thrill to clean out all the factory gunk, metal shavings, and other crap you don't want in your new firearm, and by doing so, it makes one very familiar with the weapon and its workings. When done, it's really clean and ready for its first outing, and the chore gives a real sense of satisfaction too.

I also like to know for sure the weapon was indeed test fired, and evidence of that is reassuring to me that it really has been done at the factory prior to landing in my hot little hands. No "first shot surprises"!

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
None of the new Kimber's that I've purchased have been what I would consider excessively dirty. I have received a couple of used ones that was really dirty.
The Stainless Raptor Ultra I bought used from one of our members had been FrogLubed and was cleaner than I could have gotten it when it arrived.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I honestly think that us members have been had. This guy was on here for only 2 reasons to badmouth Midway and to badmouth Kimber. I don't think he actually had bought the gun he was complaining about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first post on the Kimber forum.......bummer that it has to be a negative one.

I just purchased a 3" Kimber K6S from Midway USA. I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I read many reviews on this revolver, and bought it because of all the positive reviews I read. I own other 357s, so I have other guns to compare the K6S with.

First of all, it is quite obvious that Midway sold me a used gun. There are powder burns on the forcing cone and the front face of the cylinder. Also, the recoil shield has tell-tale signs. I have complained to Midway about this, but so far they are bobbing and weaving.

Upon dry-firing I noticed that the DA trigger pull is horrible. I'm not sure how to describe it, but at the end of the trigger travel, it feels like it is locked up. It takes an effort to finish the travel, right when you would be expecting it to become lighter.

I am torn between contacting Kimber to see if they will take a look at it, or continuing my "conversation" with Midway....they state they have a "No Return" policy under any circumstances.

Any ideas/advice on the trigger pull issue?
send it to Kimber

·
Registered
2017 Silverado Crew-Cab
12 Posts
Just some FYI, I bought a ‘new’ Kimber 3” K6 from Cabela’s recently. At the store then the closer inspection at home I did see some signs of firing, powder marks on the cylinder face.

I didn’t pay it any worry. I just gave it the good once over, then proceeded to test. Let’s say a gun even had 50 rounds through it, what would it matter?

If any problem did develop, then it’s time to call customer service.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just some FYI, I bought a ‘new’ Kimber 3” K6 from Cabela’s recently. At the store then the closer inspection at home I did see some signs of firing, powder marks on the cylinder face.

I didn’t pay it any worry. I just gave it the good once over, then proceeded to test. Let’s say a gun even had 50 rounds through it, what would it matter?

EXACTLY!!! The first thing we’re gonna do is take it home and shoot it anyway! If a few rounds is going to make that much difference, it ain’t worth having! Makes me happy to see common sense at work!

·
Registered
259 Posts

Did you ever think maybe the signs of it being fired is from factory test firing. Kimber does that and sometimes they don't clean them very well.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The only time some folks are happy is when they are unhappy!!! Gonna complain no matter what! It’s like wallowing in the mud with a hog. After awhile, you realize the hog LIKES IT!!!😂
I think there's a lot of truth in that. However, there are some firearms that earned criticism.

Kimber Solo is a POS.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
@Argee, you nailed it, exactly what happened...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new K6S Combat last week. I looked it over good at the dealer because they had more than one in stock. I couldn't find anyhing that jumped out at me, so I took it home. There I did a thorough cleaning, and it was a little dirty, but that was from Kimber testing it, before sending it out the door. I am glad firearms are tested at the factroy.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I bought a new K6S Combat last week. I looked it over good at the dealer because they had more than one in stock. I couldn't find anyhing that jumped out at me, so I took it home. There I did a thorough cleaning, and it was a little dirty, but that was from Kimber testing it, before sending it out the door. I am glad firearms are tested at the factroy.
YEP!!! If it’s gonna go “bang” in the wrong place,it’s better to do it in their test facility than in my hand!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I field strip and clean a new gun when I receive it for two reasons...to remove any leftover manufacturing residue and to familiarize myself with the firearm's specific operation. If I didn't find any gun powder residue anywhere that would alarm me. After I've done the above I then take it out and shoot the snot out of it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I field strip and clean a new gun when I receive it for two reasons...to remove any leftover manufacturing residue and to familiarize myself with the firearm's specific operation. If I didn't find any gun powder residue anywhere that would alarm me. After I've done the above I then take it out and shoot the snot out of it.
All sound practices, my friend!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts