Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I field strip and clean a new gun when I receive it for two reasons...to remove any leftover manufacturing residue and to familiarize myself with the firearm's specific operation. If I didn't find any gun powder residue anywhere that would alarm me. After I've done the above I then take it out and shoot the snot out of it.
Have to admit, the “shooting the snot out of it” is my favorite part!!!😂

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
This is my first post on the Kimber forum.......bummer that it has to be a negative one.

I just purchased a 3" Kimber K6S from Midway USA. I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I read many reviews on this revolver, and bought it because of all the positive reviews I read. I own other 357s, so I have other guns to compare the K6S with.

First of all, it is quite obvious that Midway sold me a used gun. There are powder burns on the forcing cone and the front face of the cylinder. Also, the recoil shield has tell-tale signs. I have complained to Midway about this, but so far they are bobbing and weaving.

Upon dry-firing I noticed that the DA trigger pull is horrible. I'm not sure how to describe it, but at the end of the trigger travel, it feels like it is locked up. It takes an effort to finish the travel, right when you would be expecting it to become lighter.

I am torn between contacting Kimber to see if they will take a look at it, or continuing my "conversation" with Midway....they state they have a "No Return" policy under any circumstances.

Any ideas/advice on the trigger pull issue?
...good day to you Sasquatch!!! ...did you ever contact KImber customer service? ...I had issues with a Kimber Micro and from the time I talked to Kimber to the time I received my pistol back was 9 days..... ...all done since you post...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
to remove any leftover manufacturing residue and to familiarize myself with the firearm's specific operation
Right on. It makes MUCH more sense to figure out how a contraption works when it's brand new, instead of after it's broken and you have to devine how the manufacturer intended for it to operate. I spent a lot of time in my career watching machinery operate, watching programs run. It's hard enough when things are operating perfectly, but after it blows up, things get REALLY difficult. Learn your guns even before hitting the range for the first time.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
All I can say is mine is about 15 days old, 100 rounds down with no issues and plenty of smiles! I have Hogues on order, getting one beaten spot on the inside of the strong thumb knuckle. I can see maybe the nite sights in the future, but for now I am too pleased!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first post on the Kimber forum.......bummer that it has to be a negative one.

I just purchased a 3" Kimber K6S from Midway USA. I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I read many reviews on this revolver, and bought it because of all the positive reviews I read. I own other 357s, so I have other guns to compare the K6S with.

First of all, it is quite obvious that Midway sold me a used gun. There are powder burns on the forcing cone and the front face of the cylinder. Also, the recoil shield has tell-tale signs. I have complained to Midway about this, but so far they are bobbing and weaving.

Upon dry-firing I noticed that the DA trigger pull is horrible. I'm not sure how to describe it, but at the end of the trigger travel, it feels like it is locked up. It takes an effort to finish the travel, right when you would be expecting it to become lighter.

I am torn between contacting Kimber to see if they will take a look at it, or continuing my "conversation" with Midway....they state they have a "No Return" policy under any circumstances.

Any ideas/advice on the trigger pull issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 3 inch DASA had a chip in the barrel throat (came from the dealer that way so I’ve had an issue with the retailer as well). For a minute I felt like I got taken to f*** city but called Kimber and they had it fixed and returned within a week. Just call kimber. Ignore every other yahoo saying “oh clean it” or “take it to a gunsmith”. Just call kimber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 3 inch DASA had a chip in the barrel throat (came from the dealer that way so I’ve had an issue with the retailer as well). For a minute I felt like I got taken to f*** city but called Kimber and they had it fixed and returned within a week. Just call kimber. Ignore every other yahoo saying “oh clean it” or “take it to a gunsmith”. Just call kimber.
Agreed!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to be a PITA, but you obviously didn't read my post with regard to Midway NOT accepting returns. I had already paid for the gun and transfer to the tune of $1000. I could stand there at the FFL and say "Nope, I'm not accepting this gun". Then what ???

My beef is with Midway, no argument. But they already told me to take it up with Kimber. I'm done with Midway, except for giving them negative feedback wherever I can.

I did my due diligence before deciding to buy this Kimber. I read probably 7-8 reviews on the gun before I bought it. Every review, every one, went on and on about the DA trigger. My 60 year-old S&W Model 10 has a better trigger. Oh, well.....live and learn.

I'm not gonna take it apart....I'm not gonna even clean it. If Kimber will let me send it in, I will. If not.....then I just put in it my safe and shoot my Pythons, my Anacondas, my assorted Rugers, my Smiths, and shoot it if I feel like. I'll get over it......eventually.

Most if not all manufacturers test fire the gun before sending it out. I don;t know of any who clean it after testing. Midway's no return policy is why I do not buy guns from them.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Most if not all manufacturers test fire the gun before sending it out. I don;t know of any who clean it after testing. Midway's no return policy is why I do not buy guns from them.
Welcome to the forum.
I’m curious to know what companies will take a gun back after it’s transfered to you. Once I bought a shotgun from Walmart and they make you sign a piece of paper saying, if you have any issues to contact the manufacturer. Don’t bring the gun back here. I can see why they do this now.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
Where do you buy guns that offer a return policy?

No manufacturer that I'm aware of, cleans guns after test firing.
Some might, but I haven't noticed.
Kimber, SW, Colt, HK, Walther etc.. do not.

It is extremely rare to find a retailer that will take guns back after purchase, unless there is a catastrophic issue where they will be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
No established online seller I know of takes guns back. It's not bad customer service. It's a legal/regulatory nightmare for them. So they don't do it. The only opportunity to return is before the transfer is completed.

Some small player that owns a pawn shop and sells on Gunbroker might be persuaded, but the big corporate sellers... none of them take guns back or offer refunds.

As far as Midway goes, I have had nothing but good experiences with them for years. There is no way they sold a used gun. Their products are shipped directly from distribution warehouses. They aren't a gun shop or shoot the guns they get from Kimber or anyone else.

I had a rub with Kalashnikov USA and they will never see a nickel of my money. The firearm had an obvious defect and they jerked me around, saying I had to pay the shipping and it would be a minimum 8 weeks for any repair. The total opposite of Kimber.

I suggest as others did simply send the K6 to Kimber and let them fix whatever might be wrong with it and call it a day. Mine has been flawless. I generally prefer S&W wheel guns but the K6 met my expectations.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do you buy guns that offer a return policy?

No manufacturer that I'm aware of, cleans guns after test firing.
Some might, but I haven't noticed.
Kimber, SW, Colt, HK, Walther etc.. do not.

It is extremely rare to find a retailer that will take guns back after purchase, unless there is a catastrophic issue where they will be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

I bought a cap-and-ball Remington from Dixie Gun Works. I found one I liked better elsewhere. I sent the unfired gun back to Dixie for a full refund. On-line, I have bought new and used guns from Guns International. They have a 3 day inspection period for used guns. Perhaps no one else on-line will let someone return a new, even unfired gun. I will accept your observation.

I recently bought a new Kimber 3" combat from a gun shop. Shooting I found it was stringing shots vertically an inch or so.. Later I discovered the front sight rocking back and forth a little on its pin. I called Kimber. They were very nice and it is on its way. That happens sometime. I like the gun and look forward to its return.

If you really want perfect go buy an old Colt. Just bring some serious green.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I bought a cap-and-ball Remington from Dixie Gun Works. I found one I liked better elsewhere. I sent the unfired gun back to Dixie for a full refund. On-line, I have bought new and used guns from Guns International. They have a 3 day inspection period for used guns. Perhaps no one else on-line will let someone return a new, even unfired gun. I will accept your observation.

I recently bought a new Kimber 3" combat from a gun shop. Shooting I found it was stringing shots vertically an inch or so.. Later I discovered the front sight rocking back and forth a little on its pin. I called Kimber. They were very nice and it is on its way. That happens sometime. I like the gun and look forward to its return.

If you really want perfect go buy an old Colt. Just bring some serious green.
Dixie took the return because Cap and ball pistols aren't considered firearms by the ATF.
No 4473 needed.
It's like returning a wrench.
Dixie Gun Works are also fantastic people.
They are legit.

Kimber has excellent customer service.👍
Quite possibly the best in the industry.
You should have your Kimber back in about 2 weeks or less.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts