Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a S & W shield plus because my local gun shops didn't have a Mako. I try to support my local shops
when they have what I want. Then a shop had a Mako, so I bought it too. No red dot on it as I haven't taken that leap yet.
I must say that both guns have been excellent quality firearms. The grips are very different in shape, but I am not a grip snob and like both. The Kimber trigger is a little better than the Smith, but both are good. The Kimber is a little larger and heavier. Both have tritium sights and I give the nod to the Kimber as the viles are larger.
The Smith is easier the breakdown as I am still trying to master the Kimber. This will come with time, I'm sure.
I have a Fobus holster for the Smith and a Versa Carry for the Kimber. The leather on the Versa was sharp and I had to emery cloth the back edger as the irritated my skin, OK now.
At this point I can't say I have a favorite with only a couple of hundred rounds through each. I can say that I am pleased as both have been rock solid so far with zero issues.
This is my first Kimber and I like it.

· Registered
16,549 Posts
Not a Mako fan but happy yours is working out for you...

Reactions: bad ninja

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I recently bought a S & W shield plus because my local gun shops didn't have a Mako. I try to support my local shops
when they have what I want. Then a shop had a Mako, so I bought it too. No red dot on it as I haven't taken that leap yet.
I must say that both guns have been excellent quality firearms. The grips are very different in shape, but I am not a grip snob and like both. The Kimber trigger is a little better than the Smith, but both are good. The Kimber is a little larger and heavier. Both have tritium sights and I give the nod to the Kimber as the viles are larger.
The Smith is easier the breakdown as I am still trying to master the Kimber. This will come with time, I'm sure.
I have a Fobus holster for the Smith and a Versa Carry for the Kimber. The leather on the Versa was sharp and I had to emery cloth the back edger as the irritated my skin, OK now.
At this point I can't say I have a favorite with only a couple of hundred rounds through each. I can say that I am pleased as both have been rock solid so far with zero issues.
This is my first Kimber and I like it.
Both good pistols. I always liked that narrow grip on the Shield. I'm with you on grips. I train with the gun I have and dont fret much over ergonomics. I must be in the dead center of the norm that gunmakers design for because I rarely take issue with a grip. Even Glocks. Don't care. Most guns fit my hand pretty well.

· Registered
313 Posts
I have a S&W shield EZ 9 mm performance center and love the trigger but the grip safety is IMO not the greatest. It shoots great but does have a 4" barrel and weights a lot more than the micro 9 making it difficult for me to EDC. I have fobus holsters for both.

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have a S&W shield EZ 9 mm performance center and love the trigger but the grip safety is IMO not the greatest. It shoots great but does have a 4" barrel and weights a lot more than the micro 9 making it difficult for me to EDC. I have fobus holsters for both.
The Shield is about 5 oz heavier as you mentioned. You might want to consider a different holster. Most of the Fobus holsters I've seen are a bit thick and bulky. Injection molded. I almost exclusively use Vedder holsters. I've tried them all and settled on Vedder. The exception is when I choose leather, which for my EDC is never. I also have a few Neptune holsters because they specialize in double layer kydex which I find useful when I want the holster to be more rigid.

· Registered
313 Posts
The Shield is about 5 oz heavier as you mentioned. You might want to consider a different holster. Most of the Fobus holsters I've seen are a bit thick and bulky. Injection molded. I almost exclusively use Vedder holsters. I've tried them all and settled on Vedder. The exception is when I choose leather, which for my EDC is never. I also have a few Neptune holsters because they specialize in double layer kydex which I find useful when I want the holster to be more rigid.
I forgot to mention it is a large OWB paddle holster and holds the gun great with good concealment and little printing. I had a concealment express which I did not like. I like the injection molding. I tried the kydex with the ulticlip and sent it back. I will check out Vedder and Neptune.

· Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Personal preferences, comfort, etc are always the drivers for holster choice. I go for as thin and lightweight as possible with the greatest possible retention. I only carry IWB for my EDC. If the thicker Fobus works for you, then maybe leather might be a good alternative. There are some good leather options that can be fitted for a paddle. I only use leather when carrying OWB, which is now very seldom. That was more frequent when I lived in the Pacific Northwest and did a lot of hiking and camping. Depending on the pistol (or revolver), sometimes on the hip, others in a chest rig.

I'm never 100% satisfied with any holster no matter who makes it. My holster morgue is overflowing. I've settled on a few different kydex and leather variations that I can live with. Good luck in your search.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
I have a Shield Plus that I feel the same way about. I was really excited when the Mako was introduced, after much anticipation the LGS received one and I went for a look and feel. I was underwhelmed.. it just didn't feel comfortable in the hand and I preferred the Shield Plus trigger. The folks that own them say they're a spectacular pistol... just not for me.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
I have a Shield Plus that I feel the same way about. I was really excited when the Mako was introduced, after much anticipation the LGS received one and I went for a look and feel. I was underwhelmed.. it just didn't feel comfortable in the hand and I preferred the Shield Plus trigger. The folks that own them say they're a spectacular pistol... just not for me.
Don’t give up or write it off over look and feel. Rent one at a range and put 50 rounds through it. It’ll make a believer out of you. My shooting buddy wasn’t to hip on the feel and look either until he came over and ran 50 rounds through mine. He now owns one he carries every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.