Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several pistols, but only a few are not striker fired. Lately I've been interested in collecting and shooting all metal pistols like the Kimbers. I sort of like the small pistols also, even though the price of 380 ACP ammunition has been nuts for years!

I brought the Kimber home and it looks very good, very high quality and the appearance of something "artful" as opposed to a tool. I field stripped it as I always do before firing a new pistol, and was surprised to find it bone-dry, without much evidence of having been shot. I hope it was tested at the factory; may not have been. Anyway, I cleaned it anyway and lubed it. Then I spend maybe 20 minutes racking the slide and activating the trigger and safety just to "wear in" some parts. I hope to shoot it next week.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum [email protected], how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
You have a GREAT start on break-in procedure! Run her wet, should be fine.

Welcome to the site from East Tennessee!

Reactions: cousinmark

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
,,,welcome to the forum from north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line...

...here's my experience with the Kimber Micro:
1. shoot the gun wet
2. sling shot load the first round of each clip during the breakin period
3. 300 to 400 rounds to breakin, I use RN FMJ
4. good tight grip no limp wrist
5. I have to watch my right thumb as it has a tendency to ride up on the slide and slow the recoil sequence and cause issues... (large hand, small gun)
6. enjoy... ...my Kimber Micro is a pleasure to carry and it fits just about anywhere...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I brought the Kimber home and it looks very good, very high quality and the appearance of something "artful" as opposed to a tool.
I agree 100% with your assessment of the Kimber .380. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Do everything that Oklahomabound says (advice above), and you should be a happy camper. I've had mine about 4 yrs now and carry it every time I am out and about. I don't switch around in what I carry. The Kimber .380 is sufficient for me.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It's nice to have a new Micro .380 owner on board, welcome. Great advice from the faithful. Be sure to verify your pistol has the newer flat wire recoil assembly. The spring wire will be flat not round and there will be barrel groove milled in the guide rod end. You more than likely have the newer version. remember a good solid grip and the photos from the range :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome from CFL ..
I bought the same model SS few months back with new "upgrade" flat wire and barrel .. didn't like rosewood so I got black G10 grips ..
I paid $550.00 from Academy .. wonder how much now ?
I did exactly what Oklahomabound said .. runs great first time ..
Great buy ... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Welcome from CFL ..
I bought the same model SS few months back with new "upgrade" flat wire and barrel .. didn't like rosewood so I got black G10 grips ..
I paid $550.00 from Academy .. wonder how much now ?
I did exactly what Oklahomabound said .. runs great first time ..
Great buy ... :)
If any was even available, I'm going to say the price would be at least $200-$250 above the 550 you paid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's nice to have a new Micro .380 owner on board, welcome. Great advice from the faithful. Be sure to verify your pistol has the newer flat wire recoil assembly. The spring wire will be flat not round and there will be barrel groove milled in the guide rod end. You more than likely have the newer version. remember a good solid grip and the photos from the range :)
Mine does have the flat spring you mention. I understand about a firm grip......heck, I was okay shooting the little Ruger LCP II 380, and it was "a handful"!:cool: The Kimber feels huge in comparison, about the same as my Glock 42 which is very pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If any was even available, I'm going to say the price would be at least $200-$250 above the 550 you paid.
I paid $530 not including shipping or the FFL fee, but yes, it was tough finding anyone who had a Kimber 380 in stock. Also bought two additional magazines for around $23 each. I feel like I got a very good price. I do like the Rosewood grips; they look nice with the stainless. Sometimes I can be so vain.....:eek:

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Mine does have the flat spring you mention. I understand about a firm grip......heck, I was okay shooting the little Ruger LCP II 380, and it was "a handful"!:cool: The Kimber feels huge in comparison, about the same as my Glock 42 which is very pleasant to shoot.
For sure. The Kimber weighs in at a bloated 13.4oz. LCP is 9.4oz. A quarter pound difference (over 40% more) is a LOT for a pocket gun.

The only reason I carry a .380 is for reduced size and weight for pocket carry, and why I chose the LCP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I have the Micro 380 Raptor SS. Had some issues off the bat but Kimber made it right. Your given great advise. Shoot good ammo and do not limp wrist. I love my 380. Just a really cool little pistol that is so easy to carry. Here's a pic of mine. I love love love this pistol. Never ran it wet (but probably should of when new). You'll love it. I shoot Sellier & Bellot FMJ 92 grain (all brass). Never an issue with this ammo. Stay away from cheap ammo even though its slim pickings right now. The 380 can be a bit fusy. Just a bit.

R

Attachments

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
You'll be feeling a real difference in recoil because of the extra heft Phil mentioned. For myself the SA trigger is a major factor too. If I recall correctly it's the beaver tail that puts the Kimber Micro at .5" longer than the Ruger LCP's OAL. I prefer an IWB holster over pocket carry anyways. I can't even tell it's there most of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like them but got a Micro 9 due to 389 ammo challenges
Yeah, don't remember the last time I saw any of that old 389 ammo in the stores......;)

I know what you mean about the lack of 380 ACP. The last I got was ordered in June 2020; 500 rounds of S&B FMJ. I have not seen any since. I probably have a total of less than 1k rounds now. I don't shoot my 380s much, and only rarely carry them. Usually it's a 9mm, either a Glock 43x or an H&K VP9c....occasionally a PPQ 9mm M2. But the latter pistol is mainly for training classes/practice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm the OP. I spent a little time at my outdoor range and despite the cold and wind, I had a good time.

Shot the Kimber 380 for its first 50 rounds, a mixed bag of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ and Freedom Munitions ReMan 100gr RNFP. No issues of any kind. I used the three magazines I had, but never loaded over 3-4 rounds per magazine since I wanted to test the mag inset/extract and first/last round operation.

Next time I will try full magazines and probably test some Fiocchi Extrema 90gr XTP HP which is my preferred carry ammo. It has functioned 100% in all the 380s I've had before, including a tiny CW 380 which are notorious for problems.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts