Kimber Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like my micro 9 but didn't care for the. 380. My micro 9 will eat any ammo. The. 380 was too finicky. I bought a Springfield 911 in 380 and it's a much better gun. Not saying there's any thing wrong with Kimbers just the micro 380.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like my micro 9 but didn't care for the. 380. My micro 9 will eat any ammo. The. 380 was too finicky. I bought a Springfield 911 in 380 and it's a much better gun. Not saying there's any thing wrong with Kimbers just the micro 380.
For my taste .. Springfield 911 in 380 is way too ugly ..:)
It's been 6 month since I got my Micro .380 and broken in ,
It has been great so far ,
I was fortunate to stock quite a few ammos, before crazy stuff ..!!
So far I have no problem at all with :
1 - White box of Winchester .380 ACP 95gr ..
2 - INCEPTOR SPORT UTILITY 380 ACP 60gr
3 - INCEPTOR PREFERRED DEFENSE 380 ACP 56gr ARX

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interesting.....about a year ago when the only 380s I had were a Ruger LCP II <now sold; unpleasant to shoot; too light> and a Bersa Thunder, I looked <online only> at that SA 911, Sig 238, Kimber Micro 380 and Walther PPKs. I thought the Kimber was the best looking of all excluding the PPKs. But I'd seen so many reports on failures like yours with the Kimber....but even more on the Springfield 911. In the end I got a(nother) Glock 42 to replace the one I'd had and sold several years ago.

But then I got the bug again about a month ago, and did more research. Seemed like the Micro 380s that were good out of the box were good period. And those that were not, were repaired by Kimber. So I decided to try one. Glad I did, but of course I have only put around 50 rounds through it. I hope to do more next week. I'm down to about 1k of 380acp though, so I won't be shooting it a lot. I have a lot more 9mm, and when ammunition (hopefully) becomes available there will be more of 9mm than anything else I suspect. Even years ago 9mm was less expensive than 380; now the price difference is obscene. So a 9mm (or 22lr) pistol makes more sense that other calibers IMO.

I really like the look of that little Micro 9, and I am glad to hear yours has been good to you. I have been considering adding one to the collection, but its light weight does concern me. Not for EDC, but just for range shooting. The next lightest 9mm I currently own is that Glock 42 which is pleasant to shoot. However, I did own, briefly, a Kahr CM9 and Kel-Tec P11. They were about 1.5 oz lighter than the Micro 9. So, I am considering adding the Micro 9. I had found one at a good price, but I am still on the fence........it's such a pretty pistol! I am partial to stainless and wood I suppose........no accounting for tastes, is there?:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ahhhh....sure hope the Kimber Micro 380 continues to be a good pistol; I just ordered a Kimber Micro 9mm to add to the collection. Today I saw a price that demanded action!:cool:

The photo below is a stock photo of my Micro 9mm model - I won't get mine for a few weeks most likely. I will probably change out the grips for something a little nicer, like rosewood if I can find them.

Anyone know if a generic Kydex IWB Micro 380 holster might fit a Micro 9?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anyone know if a generic Kydex IWB Micro 380 holster might fit a Micro 9?
To answer my own question: Nope. The Micro 9 is enough larger that it will not fit a Micro 380 holster. There are probably limited exceptions.

I use Kydex for 95% of my IWB holsters mainly because they never change shape. I've had a few leather ones that tend to collapse upon re-holstering. I also don't like the thought of my sweaty body "soaking" a fine leather holster. I LOVE the look and feel of leather, and have a few OWB leather holsters. But those are used much less than the IWB holsters.

Kydex is functional; but I will admit it is ugly!:eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Kimber Micro .380 is tailor-made for a Remora holster. No high cost, no long waits for its manufacture, no sweaty skin next to metal, etc. It’s easy to slip in your waste band and comfy year round. Plus, it stays in place. It may not be the best for a quick draw however, and it’s not tactically cool. You gotta choose your poison.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Kimber Micro .380 is tailor-made for a Remora holster. No high cost, no long waits for its manufacture, no sweaty skin next to metal, etc. It's easy to slip in your waste band and comfy year round. Plus, it stays in place. It may not be the best for a quick draw however, and it's not tactically cool. You gotta choose your poison.
I have heard good things about the Remora holsters. But I have tried and decided against in the pocket carry. I prefer IWB even for the small pistols, including a tiny Ruger LCP II I used to wear when biking or hiking.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I prefer IWB even for the small pistols, including a tiny Ruger LCP II I used to wear when biking or hiking.
Amen brother!

Out of sight, out of (onlookers) minds, always handy. ;)

The very last thing you want to happen is to really need that heater but you can't pry it out of that pocket you decided to carry it in......in a hurry.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have heard good things about the Remora holsters. But I have tried and decided against in the pocket carry. I prefer IWB even for the small pistols, including a tiny Ruger LCP II I used to wear when biking or hiking.
I carry my Kimber .380 in the Remora holster inside the waste band. It's too much for pocket carry, unless you have kangaroo-sized pockets. Since the investment is very small, you ought to try one. I'd highly recommend one with the sweat shield (just higher on the back on the holster). You can tuck your shirt over the firearm and holster to conceal things very well. But like everything else, what works for me may not work for the next person. Check out some reviews on YouTube 1st.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I carry my Kimber .380 in the Remora holster inside the waste band. It's too much for pocket carry, unless you have kangaroo-sized pockets. Since the investment is very small, you ought to try one. I'd highly recommend one with the sweat shield (just higher on the back on the holster). You can tuck your shirt over the firearm and holster to conceal things very well. But like everything else, what works for me may not work for the next person. Check out some reviews on YouTube 1st.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I though all Remora holsters were in the pocket type. I'll check out the IWB Remora.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm the OP. I shot the Micro 380 a little more yesterday. Fired about 20 rounds of Freedom Munitions FMJ and had 2 failures to feed (FTF). Then switched to Fiocchi FMJ for another 30 rounds or so, and again had about 20% FTFs. I plan a good cleaning and a "wet" lube and will try again later this month. I am not terribly concerned at this point with only about 100 rounds fired total since I got it.

Hopefully the little pistol will do better next time. I don't plan to carry the Micro 380 (or the Micro 9 I pick up today), but still I don't like any type of failures with pistols I own. I hate to say Glocks and H&Ks are trouble free, because I have seen problems with them also, but I'll continue to carry my Glock 43x/42 and H&K VP9c. Never had any issues with mine....but dang, those are not very pretty compared to the Kimbers!:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
To the OP: I feel your concern. That said, I've found that this little piece needs a firm grip. Mine is a joy to shoot, but the first outing with it was less than stellar. Once I figured out the grip issue, it ran fine and was spot on.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm the OP. I shot the Micro 380 a little more yesterday. Fired about 20 rounds of Freedom Munitions FMJ and had 2 failures to feed (FTF). Then switched to Fiocchi FMJ for another 30 rounds or so, and again had about 20% FTFs. I plan a good cleaning and a "wet" lube and will try again later this month. I am not terribly concerned at this point with only about 100 rounds fired total since I got it.

....but dang, those are not very pretty compared to the Kimbers!:eek:
...I found that the Kimber Micros (9mm & .380) required 400+ rounds to break in, and :
1. clean thoroughly after each shoot
2. shoot slide wet
3. sling shot load the first round of each magazine
4. firm grip
5. once a magazine is loaded, tap to seat the rounds
6. I had to watch my right thumb, it wanted to ride up onto the slide, which would slow the recoil sequence and cause FTF issues...
7. around 400 rounds, it shot like a champ...

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
I still have my SIG P238. So far it has never produced a stoppage no matter how I 'secret' it away on thumb-break, minimalist, slide holsters.

I've gotten it wet, forgot to clean it, caked it with soot, and it still functioned.

Heck, it's almost as good as a knife!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
...I found that the Kimber Micros (9mm & .380) required 400+ rounds to break in, and :
1. clean thoroughly after each shoot
2. shoot slide wet
3. sling shot load the first round of each magazine
4. firm grip
5. once a magazine is loaded, tap to seat the rounds
6. I had to watch my right thumb, it wanted to ride up onto the slide, which would slow the recoil sequence and cause FTF issues...
7. around 400 rounds, it shot like a champ...
Thanks for the tips; pretty much my SOP. I've modified my usual cleaning procedures for a new gun by lubing it a bit wetter, and hand cycled around 200 snap-cap cycles hoping to reduce a bit the number of fired rounds for a "wear in" aka "break in". With 380 ammo costing near $1 each bang that seems smart. :D
Also, I am going to pay more attention to where my support hand fingers and right thumb are located. There is a chance I'm slowing down the slide a bit, enough to keep the round from chambering. I do not think that's the case; it appears to me the problem is the bullet hitting the feed ramp a bit low. I'd suspect a defective magazine, the FTFs happen with each of my three OEM magazines. But pistols, especially small ones, tend to operate under Lilliputian law, not the laws of normal nature.;)

I've had enough experience with shooting pistols, including small ones, that I do not believe my grip firmness could be a problem; but it could be where my support finger or right thumb is on the frame/slide area. I'll check that. Also, I always "sling shot" the first round, it's how I was trained. I only had one pistol, maybe a tiny Kahr CW380/9<?>, that preferred using the slide stop to chamber a round. I always found that unnatural.

BTW, I picked up my new Micro 9 last night. Looks like the slightly bigger brother of the Micro 380. Hope to test fire more next week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update from the OP.
You may recall on 12/3 I posted here I was having difficulty withe the Kimber 380. Lots of failures to feed. I brought it home after that session and have it a thorough cleaning again, leaving it a little wetter than I would normally. I also used a bit of grease on the rails this time.

I studied the suggestions you helpful folks made, and tried to hold the pistol much tighter than I would normally. That seemed to help.

Here's how my last two range sessions went:
12/5/2020 – Shot another 50 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ. Had maybe 30% failure to feed. Did a through cleaning and lubed wet this time. Grease on the rails.
12/10/2020 – Fired another 50 rounds. Used full magazines for all. Half were Fiocchi FMJ, half were Freedom Munitions FMJ. The Freedom Munitions had more failures to feed, I suppose from the flat point bullet profile. However, FTF were much less than last shooting session, about 10% and those were the last 20 or so rounds.
12/22/2020 – All went well with the Kimber 380 today. About 2 out of 50 rounds did not feed; this ONLY happened on the first round, so I suspect it's my technique.

Between that better grip and more cleanings/lubrication/firings I believe the pistol is doing better. It's not anywhere near the point I'd carry it, however. But then I am reluctant to carry any SA pistol since my training and experience has been with PPQs/VP9s/Glocks. I do not want to try to remember a different manual of arms when I carry.

·
Super Moderator
38,019 Posts
Under Care on Page 69 of the owners manual.

Lubrication1. Use a premium lubrication product such as Shooter's Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil. Grease is not recommended. If the lubrication product contains Teflon, shake well before using as the Teflon settles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Under Care on Page 69 of the owners manual.

Lubrication1. Use a premium lubrication product such as Shooter's Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil. Grease is not recommended. If the lubrication product contains Teflon, shake well before using as the Teflon settles.
Yeah, I know that grease isn't recommended on many firearms. But I occasionally use light grease on pistol rails that will be shot again soon, then cleaned after firing. In my experience that helps with new pistols, but it must be applied soon before a range session, and cleaned off afterward. Grease tends to "harden" I suppose and will actually cause more friction than oil if it "ages" too long. I don't need it after a pistol's wear in.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts