Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it yesterday and took it to the range this morning. First shot goes bang, shell ejects and I go to pull the trigger nothing. Come to find out the mag popped out the bottom about a inch. Push mag back in, rack the slide and bang bang then nothing, mag fell out again. I have 3 mags for it and all of them did it after 2-3 shots. Kimber will be getting a phone call in the morning. I shot 50 rds though it and it is a nice accurate little firearm but very disappointed to say the least. And no my fingers were no where near the mag release.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum rr.taylorjr, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where your located.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
From past experience with Kimber CS, I think you'll find they will sort it out quickly for you to your satisfaction, even if it involves a trip back to the Mothership. Turnaround is usually pretty good.

Sorry for the issue with a brand new pistol, but welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was going to get another Glock but saw this and the price was right. Now I am not so sure. Tomorrow will tell and Im staying positive for now.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
RR: I own a G43 w/night sights, tricked out by a Glock armorer. It rests in a mattress holster in the proper location.

One of my primary rotational EDC's is my Micro 9, carried almost daily in the warm weather. Point: In just over 600 rounds, it has not had a single failure of any kind, ever. (Note the holster wear?.....Years of daily carry will do it. ;) )

Kimber CS will get it right for you. :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Was it cleaned and oiled before going to the range? I have a few Snap Caps that I use after cleaning to make sure everything goes right. Hoping it all works out....

Reactions: SubChaser

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was cleaned and oiled prior to shooting. No ftf or fte issues which amazed me after reading several reviews. It operated as it should as long as the mag stayed in place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My factory 7 round mag that came with the gun really has to be slammed home to make it stay. The plastic seems to be the interference. My 6 round kimber mag without the plastic extension has no problem. Maybe it's not seating all the way?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mag drop is a routine problem with the micro 9. There are detailed threads about it elsewhere. I had to send mine back to the factory. They replaced the mag release and spring and all is well. They paid shipping both ways. It’s a minor inconvenience to be without it for 8-10 days.

Shoot it a bunch before returning it. I found my sights were way off too, and they fixed that too by replacing the front sight.

You only want to send it back once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cured mine by replacing the mag catch spring with a stiffer spring. It was a spring I had laying around and unfortunately I don't know it's source. It might save you a trip to the factory if you can find one that will work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read today on the Sig 938 forum that their gun suffers from the same malady, magazine dropping during firing, that the Micro 9 does. A couple members accomplished a repair that they've had 100% success with. They used a standard 1911 magazine release spring to replace the OEM Micro 9 one with. They trimmed the new 1911 spring 0.185" in length and installed it in their Sig 938s. The new spring is a tad larger in diameter and the spring wire is thicker and that provides more spring tension. They bought the springs from Fusion Firearms, which is just down the road from me. I dropped by there today and picked one up, $2.95 for the spring. I trimmed it and replaced the old one with it. The release button definitely is a bit stouter but it releases the magazine as it should. I'll visit the range in a few days to validate everything. I couldn't find a micro 9 video for the replacement but found one for a 938, which I used and it's pretty much the same. The micro 9 magazine button release screw takes a 1/16" allen wrench vice the flat blade screw driver in the video. You'll need to push the magazine release button all the way in before you turn the release screw. If you need to force it then you don't have the release button pushed in enough. It should turn relatively easy. Don't force it or you'll strip out that 1/16" screw head and it will be fubar. I'll post the you tube link to the video here.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had that same issue with my P938 twice, as you said it's not Kimber. Has been a well known Sig issue for many years, why they don't just fix it is beyond me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went to the range this AM. I ran 112 rounds through it, both 124gr FMJs and 124gr +P JHPs. The new mag release spring change is a winner.

Note to self... keep my right thumb off the magazine release button while firing and keep it just under the slide. I need to make that a habit. I honestly think most of my mag drop problems was this.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Note to self... keep my right thumb off the magazine release button while firing and keep it just under the slide. I need to make that a habit. I honestly think most of my mag drop problems was this.
Not having a Micro 9, I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it will help.

I have a little Kahr P380 that fills a particular roll for me. I was great, except that once in a while I'd remove the holster and find that the magazine wasn't in place. The first time I attributed it to user error. The second time I became concerned. The third time it happened, I knew there was a problem that needed to be fixed.

The magazine release is in a typical 1911 location and functions the same way. Interestingly, the height of the mag release above the widest part of the grip is substantial. My theory was that the mag release was getting bumped or pressed during my everyday activities.

I removed the mag release and filed down the top of the button quite a bit. Now it sits about 0.020" higher than the tallest part of the grip. It still protrudes about 0.080" above the surrounding material, so pushing the release is still easy. I left the button flat on top and then hit it with a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen. My thoughts were that I could cut lines in it at another time, but it's been years and it's no longer a high priority.

The magazine hasn't inadvertently come out since filing it down. I can no longer do high-speed tactical reloads... oh... wait... this is a P380. Fancy John Wick style reloads were not a thing BEFORE the mag release modification.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not having a Micro 9, I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it will help.

I have a little Kahr P380 that fills a particular roll for me. I was great, except that once in a while I'd remove the holster and find that the magazine wasn't in place. The first time I attributed it to user error. The second time I became concerned. The third time it happened, I knew there was a problem that needed to be fixed.

The magazine release is in a typical 1911 location and functions the same way. Interestingly, the height of the mag release above the widest part of the grip is substantial. My theory was that the mag release was getting bumped or pressed during my everyday activities.

I removed the mag release and filed down the top of the button quite a bit. Now it sits about 0.020" higher than the tallest part of the grip. It still protrudes about 0.080" above the surrounding material, so pushing the release is still easy. I left the button flat on top and then hit it with a Birchwood Casey touch-up pen. My thoughts were that I could cut lines in it at another time, but it's been years and it's no longer a high priority.

The magazine hasn't inadvertently come out since filing it down. I can no longer do high-speed tactical reloads... oh... wait... this is a P380. Fancy John Wick style reloads were not a thing BEFORE the mag release modification.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.
I've got 5XL bear paws and the meat of my thumb was right over the mag release when doing a two handed fire. Simply elevating my thumb a bit just under the slide seems to have fixed the second half of the problem. After the spring fix the only time the gun has dumped the magazine (twice) while firing is when I forget about my thumb position. When firing the gun recoils to the left a bit which is in line with my hypothesis.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had multiple problems with 2 Micro 9s but haven't really focused on making them 09.999% reliable but problems have increased in frequency so now I must. I've run them wet and dry. Recently I started using grease that comes with 938s for the rails. I use oil for places where it needs to seep in.

I do not limp wrist, and they shoot what I consider very good groups for a pocket pistol.

Problems are:

1- FTFeed (including the dented bullet issue)
2- Failure to fully eject (shell caught as exiting with new bullet stuck trying to feed)
3- Slide closing when mag slapped in (like you need to do in order to really make sure it's locked in place.
4- Mag releasing (but not falling completely out) when shooting, therefore preventing next round from chambering.

So I'm facing 4 issues right now on 2 Micro 9s. One has issues more than the other. Both are under 500 rounds.

For practice I've been shooting mostly 124gr Blazer (round nose) but also Magtech and Winchester white box. Going forward I need to pay closer attention to the frequency of issues with each brand.

I tried a new unused mag on the gun that was having lots of FTFs and it seemed to be a lot better but not 100%.

Do I need to go out and get new springs for my mags and slide??
I will check out the extractor tension.
I may get a mag release spring.

Or should I just send both of these guys to Kimber and let them figure it out?

I love these little pistols so I really want to make them work reliably. The crimson laser is ridiculous- hold it chest height and place 7 rounds in 1.5" at 20'!
I have 2 that I haven't even fired yet and won't until I get the kinks worked out of the first 2.

My 938s have had some of he same issues but nowhere near the frequency of the Micro9s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well got it back from Kimber earlier this week and got a chance to shoot it on Friday. All three mags shot great and not one hiccup. Put 100rds 124gr fmj and 18 115gr hornady black through it and not a problem. Kimber stated they put a modifed mag catch and mag catch spring in it. Also "complimentary" replaced the recoil spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought it yesterday and took it to the range this morning. First shot goes bang, shell ejects and I go to pull the trigger nothing. Come to find out the mag popped out the bottom about a inch. Push mag back in, rack the slide and bang bang then nothing, mag fell out again. I have 3 mags for it and all of them did it after 2-3 shots. Kimber will be getting a phone call in the morning. I shot 50 rds though it and it is a nice accurate little firearm but very disappointed to say the least. And no my fingers were no where near the mag release.

I'm having the exact same issue with mine. Already sent it out to Kimber once and they did some things, but once again it is dropping magazines, I think from the recoil of the slide. On the original repair they polished the feed ramp and changed magazine release spring, which I could tell was much stiffer. I'm debating sending back to Kimber for a second repair. Did you ever get yours fixed and if so what was the problem that was fixed?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts