Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks all for the welcome. I got to the range today for my first shots and fired 50 rounds each of Sig 115 and 124 and Federal AE 115, all FMJ. The first 4 mags went fine, at 7 yards kept all rounds in a 6" circle which for me having to wear bifocals and having somewhat shaky hands is very good, especially getting used to the trigger and sights. After those first 4 mags though I started having problems.....just after the round going off the magazine would drop down about 1/4" and the next round would not load into the chamber. My little finger gripping the mag baseplate kept the mag from dropping completely out of the pistol. This would happen 2 or 3 times per mag. I kept shooting, making sure I wasn't accidently hitting the mag release, tried different grips keeping my thumbs on the slide lock, shot one handed and even left handed.
Then I'm thinking it's just a matter of getting the gun broken in and got through about 130 rounds with the problem averaging one or twice per mag..Then I found something....the set screw that holds the base plate to the bottom of the mag was very loose. I don't know if it was loose when I started shooting or not. I tightened it as best as I could with the tip of my finger and got it pretty snug. Shot 2 more mags (all the rounds I had left) and the problem disappeared, even using my normal two handed grip.
Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it being a common issue with the Micro 9? I was so frustrated when it started happening I was ready to quit and come home and call Kimber I'm think now I will wait until I can get to the range again and see if the problem is fixed before calling the mother ship.
Otherwise I like this little rascal! Fits perfectly in my hand, the trigger is excellent, sights are big and bold which is helpful with my eyesight issues and the recoil is surprising mild for such a small pistol. If I can get the magazine problem sorted out and a couple hundred more break-in rounds trouble free it is going to be a great EDC for me.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Kimber was having problems mag dropping out last year. I believe they had a bad batch of 7 round mags. I hadn't seen any recent posts on it and thought it was resolved. Does the mag click in pretty positive when inserted? Is this different magazines or just one? Any pictures would help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kimber was having problems mag dropping out last year. I believe they had a bad batch of 7 round mags. I hadn't seen any recent posts on it and thought it was resolved. Does the mag click in pretty positive when inserted? Is this different magazines or just one? Any pictures would help.
It is a 7 round mag, the only mag I have that came with the pistol. The guns birthday was in January this year so maybe I got one of the bad mags. Here's a couple pics if it helps.
#1 empty mag inserted just enough to contact the mag catch
#2 empty mag fully inserted until locked into the gun. Takes a pretty firm push to get it to lock. One thing I noticed is the mag baseplate is very tight against the bottom of the grip frame
#3 loaded mag inserted with slide locked open....fully against the grip but not yet locked. Takes a firmer push to lock
#4 Tried to take a pic of the mag catch, don't know if it is normal or not

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found several older posts from owners with the same problem. A few were saying the mag catch spring was too weak and they solved the problem by installing a spring from a Sig P938 that is slightly stronger.
Another thought I had is the mag baseplate is slightly too tall and prevents the mag catch from fully engaging the slot in the magazine. It engages enough to seem to lock the mag but the recoil impulse causes it to release.
Guess I should call Kimber to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Or you could just remove the baseplate and sand it a bit on a nice flat surface to remove a few 'thou to allow the mag to insert all the way into the pistol. Simple, usually cures the issue, and for a bit of work on a plastic magazine part, would not void your warranty unless you told the mothership of your misdeed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or you could just remove the baseplate and sand it a bit on a nice flat surface to remove a few 'thou to allow the mag to insert all the way into the pistol. Simple, usually cures the issue, and for a bit of work on a plastic magazine part, would not void your warranty unless you told the mothership of your misdeed.
I was thinking the same thing. It's worth a try.
I read that the Sig 938 mag will fit in the Micro 9 if you modify the base plate the same way.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had the same problem with the micro Rapide when it was first released. Mag was dropping out after I shot a couple of rounds. I sent it back to Kimber & problem solved. Nice little gun the only problem it was a bit to small for my hand, sold it & have been carrying a Ultra carry for my EDC. Not much larger & I can shoot it more accurately. Enjoy your micro

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
Mag dropping has been a pretty common Micro9 issue.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Found several older posts from owners with the same problem. A few were saying the mag catch spring was too weak and they solved the problem by installing a spring from a Sig P938 that is slightly stronger.
Another thought I had is the mag baseplate is slightly too tall and prevents the mag catch from fully engaging the slot in the magazine. It engages enough to seem to lock the mag but the recoil impulse causes it to release.
Guess I should call Kimber to see what they have to say.
I have a two tone M9 and a Rapide..and is not been an issue on mine. Did buy a Kimber 8+1 mag that fit a little snug. I relieved it the same as @Rick in Oregon has suggested to you and that worked. You can give that a try..if that doesn't do it you can always give Kimber a call.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't modify the gun, modify the magazine. Take that plastic end piece off the end of the magazine, cut a shim from a business card and place it between the magazine plastic end cap and the magazine. Also a 1911 mag release spring works great too. The both of these completely fixed my magazine drop issue.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Don't modify the gun, modify the magazine. Take that plastic end piece off the end of the magazine, cut a shim from a business card and place it between the magazine plastic end cap and the magazine. Also a 1911 mag release spring works great too. The both of these completely fixed my magazine drop issue.
Yes, modify the mag plastic base platge, NOT the pistol.

Easier and better aesthetics if you just sand the base plate down a bit instead of having a piece of paper showing between the mag base plate and the frame of the pistol....tacky.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, modify the mag plastic base platge, NOT the pistol.

Easier and better aesthetics if you just sand the base plate down a bit instead of having a piece of paper showing between the mag base plate and the frame of the pistol....tacky.
The shim fits inside a well in the plastic base, never to be seen again after reassembly. If effectively allows the mag to seat a little further in the gun's magazine canal. That in turn allows to magazine release's V shaped detent to grab the magazine better. That in itself usually stops the magazine drop issues. If more is required then a 1911's mag release spring fits perfectly in the M9's mag release. It will give the pistol a tighter grip on the mags.

BTW... Apparently you've never took the plastic base off one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the baseplate off the mag and carefully sanded a couple thousandths (estimated) off the top. The mag now seems to click in better. You can see now in the before and after photos the baseplate is not in contact with the grip frame.
#1 Before with empty mag
#2 After with empty mag
#3 Before with loaded mag
#4 After with loaded mag

Guess I'll find out if this fixes it next time I get to the range.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
In the meantime, try loading the magazine one cartridge shy of full.
In other words, six rounds in a seven round magazine.

My practice has been to charge the weapon
after loading a few rounds,
then finish loading the magazine
one round short of topping it off.

Many pistols seem to work more reliably that way.
A full magazine presses hard against the slide
and may retard the action
and cause a failure to feed and a jam.
Doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

In a self-defense scenario, the second cartridge
is much more important than the eighth cartridge.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
BTW... Apparently you've never took the plastic base off one.
Nope, never had to.

Personally I would not want paper inside my pistol, even the magazine. Paper compresses over time, swells and attracts moisture (hydroscopic). Thin plastic or brass shim material would be a much better alternative for a shim.

Master Chief: I'm betting that will solve the issue. Good job, good pics too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Nightfall went back to Kimber three times before they finally fixed the mag drop issue it had. Two years later now without a single hiccup of any kind.
What did they do to fix it? They are sending me a free Tac-Mag as part of a sales promotion so I am anxious to see how it works. I also ordered a stronger mag catch spring for the Sig p938 to try out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks all for the welcome. I got to the range today for my first shots and fired 50 rounds each of Sig 115 and 124 and Federal AE 115, all FMJ. The first 4 mags went fine, at 7 yards kept all rounds in a 6" circle which for me having to wear bifocals and having somewhat shaky hands is very good, especially getting used to the trigger and sights. After those first 4 mags though I started having problems.....just after the round going off the magazine would drop down about 1/4" and the next round would not load into the chamber. My little finger gripping the mag baseplate kept the mag from dropping completely out of the pistol. This would happen 2 or 3 times per mag. I kept shooting, making sure I wasn't accidently hitting the mag release, tried different grips keeping my thumbs on the slide lock, shot one handed and even left handed.
Then I'm thinking it's just a matter of getting the gun broken in and got through about 130 rounds with the problem averaging one or twice per mag..Then I found something....the set screw that holds the base plate to the bottom of the mag was very loose. I don't know if it was loose when I started shooting or not. I tightened it as best as I could with the tip of my finger and got it pretty snug. Shot 2 more mags (all the rounds I had left) and the problem disappeared, even using my normal two handed grip.
Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it being a common issue with the Micro 9? I was so frustrated when it started happening I was ready to quit and come home and call Kimber I'm think now I will wait until I can get to the range again and see if the problem is fixed before calling the mother ship.
Otherwise I like this little rascal! Fits perfectly in my hand, the trigger is excellent, sights are big and bold which is helpful with my eyesight issues and the recoil is surprising mild for such a small pistol. If I can get the magazine problem sorted out and a couple hundred more break-in rounds trouble free it is going to be a great EDC for me.
I had the same problem. I sent it to Kimber and had it back in 8 days. Works perfect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update to my magazine issue. (post #13) In addition to sanding the baseplate as I described. I also installed a stronger magazine catch spring, sourced from Numrich. It was for a Sig P938 and is about 1/8" longer than the stock Kimber spring and fits with no problem. The mag clicks in more securely and the mag release requires a slightly stronger push to release the mag.
Finally made it to the range today and problem fixed! Fired 50 rounds each of Federal and Blazer 124gr FMJ with both the original 7 round mag and the Tac-Mag Kimber sent for free for a sales promotion. The mags stayed securely locked into the gun and didn't have any malfunctions of any kind. I like the 7 round Tac-Mag a little better that the regular 7 rounder because of the slightly more pronounced pinky extension it has and it is easier to load as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts