Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Update to my magazine issue. (post #13) In addition to sanding the baseplate as I described. I also installed a stronger magazine catch spring, sourced from Numrich. It was for a Sig P938 and is about 1/8" longer than the stock Kimber spring and fits with no problem. The mag clicks in more securely and the mag release requires a slightly stronger push to release the mag.
Finally made it to the range today and problem fixed! Fired 50 rounds each of Federal and Blazer 124gr FMJ with both the original 7 round mag and the Tac-Mag Kimber sent for free for a sales promotion. The mags stayed securely locked into the gun and didn't have any malfunctions of any kind. I like the 7 round Tac-Mag a little better that the regular 7 rounder because of the slightly more pronounced pinky extension it has and it is easier to load as well.
Glad you have it resolved and are able to shoot it without issue!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The frustration is understandable.
When my Two-Tone arrived, the base plate was hanging loose 1/4 inch.
Snugging it up good and tight with a teeny tiny hex wrench
made it impossible to latch up.
Backing off a skosh
(that's a scientific unit of measure for slightly more than a smidgen)
the magazine would latch up with a good smack if you held your mouth right.
Doesn't cost anything to try it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Why does a mfg of this cost gun continue to supply less than acceptable product??
That's a good question. I purchased 2 - Micro 9 two tone and I - Micro 9 Rapide Black Ice which all use the same mag.. difference is the base plate on Rapide. I purchased an extra 7 and 8 shot Kimber mag at my LGS for the two tone and ordered an spare mag for my Rapide directly from Kimber. Have had "0" problems with any of them... go figure. I guess I got those built on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update to my magazine issue. (post #13) In addition to sanding the baseplate as I described. I also installed a stronger magazine catch spring, sourced from Numrich. It was for a Sig P938 and is about 1/8" longer than the stock Kimber spring and fits with no problem. The mag clicks in more securely and the mag release requires a slightly stronger push to release the mag.
Finally made it to the range today and problem fixed! Fired 50 rounds each of Federal and Blazer 124gr FMJ with both the original 7 round mag and the Tac-Mag Kimber sent for free for a sales promotion. The mags stayed securely locked into the gun and didn't have any malfunctions of any kind. I like the 7 round Tac-Mag a little better that the regular 7 rounder because of the slightly more pronounced pinky extension it has and it is easier to load as well.
What tool did you use to remove the mag release? Is it a torx?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry, but I can’t help but chuckle at all the fuss on modifying an $800 gun designed to be carried to protect your life. That’s why after my third Micro 9 I’ve given up on this Kimber platform...I think Kimber has a real issue on many of these little guys and just wont address it. Other than recommending you buy the new tac-mag for $50!
For the price of these micros there should be zero issues, especially with the total time these have been in production!
I’m a huge Kimber fan...not so much on the micros!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why does a mfg of this cost gun continue to supply less than acceptable product??
B/C people still keep on buying them .. And a lot of these folks are first time gun owners with the 'Ooo-Ahh' factor while handling a pretty little micro. The micros are ALWAYS in stock and its an easy choice for someone who is window shopping.
Still have mine, finicky until you get it exactly right.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts