Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bitten by the 1911 bug bad. I'm now on a mission to find a reasonably priced CCO. However I cannot find one online, new, used, or kits. Everyone is out of stock!
Any advice or ideas? I would love to get a Kimber Compact CDP. But I'd settle for something else around the same price range.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check out gunbroker.com, thanks. Aren't all ultras in the 3" barrel category? I'm looking for a commander size top end on an officer frame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
--snip--
I would love to get a Kimber Compact CDP. But I'd settle for something else around the same price range.
While some badmouth GunBroker and AuctionArms, they actually do a lot to vet the sellers. Over the years, I made many very good purchases on GunBroker I couldn't have hoped to find at a gun show, LGS, or anywhere else. The best deals - especially now - are on used guns.

Be aware, all online marketplaces now charge sales tax. Worse, Fedex went anti-gun owner, so shipping a pistol is now much more difficult and expensive than prior to October. Factor that in accordingly.

My Kimber CDP Ultra (series I) was over $1200 brand new in 2001, but that was when they were tuned by the custom shop. I think they are less now, and not tuned, or tuned to the same degree.

In the $800-$1000 range, Kimber is probably the best value 1911. For about $1300, you can find a Dan Wesson Vigil Commander (entry level DW) which is a major upgrade, brand new, if you can stretch your budget or find a store that will do layaways (some GB sellers do). Otherwise, and if you can't find a Kimber you like, the S&W 1911sc E series is popular in that range (I just sold a 1911sc commander sized for $770 with less than 50 rounds through it).

Personally, I've never liked Springfield Armory (although the SA-35 looks good) and definitely don't like their politics, but others disagree. Going down the scale, I've seen some good reviews about the Philippine made Rock Island 1911s, including by Paul Harrell. I tend to believe you get what you pay for which is why I mostly buy the higher-end Kimbers and now Dan Wesson. Sig and Ruger both make 1911s, and Remington did just a few years ago - there are lots of carry configured, commander sized 1911s in the mass production price range.

FWIW, my Kimber CDP Ultra (3") runs flawlessly and always has with well over 5000 rounds through it. For 45ACP, it is one of the most concealable while still being manageable. My Dan Wesson Guardian (commander sized) in 38 Super will be my new primary EDC for several reasons, but my CDP Ultra will not be retired and I still love it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll check out gunbroker.com, thanks. Aren't all ultras in the 3" barrel category? I'm looking for a commander size top end on an officer frame.
Not sure on the currently marketing terms, but Kimber used to call those "compact." I have a Kimber Stainless Compact (series I) I bought in 2002. My nephew has it on long-term loan for while now. It's a good pistol and a good basis for a carry gun.

Yes, the Ultra is the 3" barrel. Kimber did solve the riddle of making them run reliably (at least back in 2001), but it is not as comfortable as a 4 to 4.25" barrel - at least for me. Everyone has their preferences, different hand sizes, what they're used to, so what somebody else does is rarely directly applicable.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
While some badmouth GunBroker and AuctionArms, they actually do a lot to vet the sellers. Over the years, I made many very good purchases on GunBroker I couldn't have hoped to find at a gun show, LGS, or anywhere else. The best deals - especially now - are on used guns.

Be aware, all online marketplaces now charge sales tax. Worse, Fedex went anti-gun owner, so shipping a pistol is now much more difficult and expensive than prior to October. Factor that in accordingly.

My Kimber CDP Ultra (series I) was over $1200 brand new in 2001, but that was when they were tuned by the custom shop. I think they are less now, and not tuned, or tuned to the same degree.

In the $800-$1000 range, Kimber is probably the best value 1911. For about $1300, you can find a Dan Wesson Vigil Commander (entry level DW) which is a major upgrade, brand new, if you can stretch your budget or find a store that will do layaways (some GB sellers do). Otherwise, and if you can't find a Kimber you like, the S&W 1911sc E series is popular in that range (I just sold a 1911sc commander sized for $770 with less than 50 rounds through it).

Personally, I've never liked Springfield Armory (although the SA-35 looks good) and definitely don't like their politics, but others disagree. Going down the scale, I've seen some good reviews about the Philippine made Rock Island 1911s, including by Paul Harrell. I tend to believe you get what you pay for which is why I mostly buy the higher-end Kimbers and now Dan Wesson. Sig and Ruger both make 1911s, and Remington did just a few years ago - there are lots of carry configured, commander sized 1911s in the mass production price range.

FWIW, my Kimber CDP Ultra (3") runs flawlessly and always has with well over 5000 rounds through it. For 45ACP, it is one of the most concealable while still being manageable. My Dan Wesson Guardian (commander sized) in 38 Super will be my new primary EDC for several reasons, but my CDP Ultra will not be retired and I still love it.
Well said.

The biggest issue I have with GB is the pricing, but it's the free market and the guns do seem to sell even priced far over msrp, and thats not GBs problem.

For shipping firearms I recommend finding a good LGS and pay them to do it.
My LGS will ship a firearm for $25 + their actual shipping cost.
Their cost is less than mine, and not worrying about shipping issues is well worth $25.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stuff, thanks everyone!
Yes, it's the compact cdp I'm looking for. I'm prepared to spend 1K + if needed. I want one that bad :).
I just registered on GB so I'll start browsing. So far yes, prices are high but I get it. That's the market right now.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Great stuff, thanks everyone!
Yes, it's the compact cdp I'm looking for. I'm prepared to spend 1K + if needed. I want one that bad :).
I just registered on GB so I'll start browsing. So far yes, prices are high but I get it. That's the market right now.
You are seeking a Kimber model (Compact) that has been Out of production for a long time. You never know when a Compact could turn up on GunBroker but it could be a long wait. Any Kimber "Pro" model will get you a 4" barrel. My favorites are the Ultra models and they all have 3" barrels.
Probably a good thing your prepared to spend 1K+. Not seen but maybe 1 or 2 Compact CDP's in the wild over the last 8 years or so.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Two of my Kimbers came from GB, and I was happy with both transactions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at the DWs. And some of the prices aren't much more than the few Kimber compact cdp's listed. Leaning towards that instead.
Oh man that's a lot of cash to part with. But so worth it! Those are beautiful pistols!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do currently have a UCII that I carry. I love the frame size. A commander size top end seems like it would feel so much better than the Ultra top end. I love the look of the cco models!
I think a cco would conceal just as easily as an ultra.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
The difficult part to concealment is not the length of the barrel but the grip...
I've never tired to CC any of my Pro model Kimber's to see how it does, I don't think it would cause any issues but I think the Ultra's "wear" easier. Since others have suggested alternate brands I will submit some to.
I have two Dan Wesson's both Valor vBob's in .45acp and 9mm very fine pistols but bigger and heavier than any Ultra I have.
OR for a few dollars more you can upgrade to a Wilson Combat CQB Compact in 45 or 9mm.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, the officer frame not the barrel length would make the difference for carrying. I have a fairly small frame.
Those are some nice looking pistols!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The difficult part to concealment is not the length of the barrel but the grip...
I've never tired to CC any of my Pro model Kimber's to see how it does, I don't think it would cause any issues but I think the Ultra's "wear" easier. Since others have suggested alternate brands I will submit some to.
I have two Dan Wesson's both Valor vBob's in .45acp and 9mm very fine pistols but bigger and heavier than any Ultra I have.
OR for a few dollars more you can upgrade to a Wilson Combat CQB Compact in 45 or 9mm. View attachment 128023 View attachment 128024
Those V Bobs are good looking pistols.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm currently bidding on compact cdp ii. We'll see what happens!
Thanks for all of your feedback!
I did stumble onto a Springfield EMP4 in 40 S&W (bobtail grip) that looks nice and is priced good. If that's still around if I get out bid I might buy that instead.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I'm currently bidding on compact cdp ii. We'll see what happens!
Thanks for all of your feedback!
I did stumble onto a Springfield EMP4 in 40 S&W (bobtail grip) that looks nice and is priced good. If that's still around if I get out bid I might buy that instead.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
JC, I'm hoping you end up with the CDP II instead of the .40 EMP4. Not sure how much experience you have with the "snorty forty", but do your homework on the caliber and what it can do to pistols before bringing one home. Also keep in mind that the EMP series of pistols have proprietary parts and magazines.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts