Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yea, I'm kind of obsessed now. I don't think I'll settle for anything less than a cco model. It's really what I want. Whether that's a Kimber or another true to platform brand.
I appreciate all of your feedback. I've decided to be patient and get what I want.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm currently bidding on compact cdp ii. We'll see what happens!
Thanks for all of your feedback!
I did stumble onto a Springfield EMP4 in 40 S&W (bobtail grip) that looks nice and is priced good. If that's still around if I get out bid I might buy that instead.
Just a thought. The 45 in 185gr gives real close to 40 caliber velocity. Scroll up for 40 caliber.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'd rather stay more traditional. I have my 9mm needs met (for now). I really don't want to bother with anything other than 45 acp in a 1911 platform. However I do want to own at least one 40 s&w. But that will most likely be a px4 storm compact some time in the future. Or maybe something like the emp4.
I just can't get myself to purchase a striker fired pistol. And as much as I love my beretta px4 storm. I'm not a fan of the polymer frame at all.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
JC, I'm hoping you end up with the CDP II instead of the .40 EMP4. Not sure how much experience you have with the "snorty forty", but do your homework on the caliber and what it can do to pistols before bringing one home. Also keep in mind that the EMP series of pistols have proprietary parts and magazines.
Rick, I think you confused me with the OP. I’m not buying anything but if I was I would prefer the CDP. I had a 40 once and I sold it. Not because it was a problem just didn’t need another caliber.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Rick, I think you confused me with the OP. I’m not buying anything but if I was I would prefer the CDP. I had a 40 once and I sold it. Not because it was a problem just didn’t need another caliber.
Oops, right you are. Well then, I hope the OP sees all the posts here and is able to make a decision.

As to the .40 in general, when one of my sons was the LE Mgr for Block (now with another maker we all know), he commented on how the factory had to make frame changes on their .40 cal pistols due to increased recoil damage; frame cracking. None of the more popular caliber guns were affected, only the forty. They call it the "snorty-forty" for a reason I suppose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update:
I won the auction for a Kimber Compact CDP II .45 ACP! I definitely spent more than anticipated but its fine. It's in excellent condition. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or two!

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
@dgf46 those are great! I forget what they called it? Heavy carry melt, extreme carry melt anyway I love that look I wish Kimber still did it that way. Not sure what year they stopped doing it that way.
IMO you got a good one, a little more rare than regular CDP's.

Reactions: bad ninja and dgf46

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks, I'm fricking excited about it. But for what I'm getting and the fact that they're not produced anymore. Makes it worth it.
The seller said its been sitting in his safe for 5 or 6 years. Never used.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today is the day... I hope. The pistol should arrive at my FFL today. Hopefully early enough that the background check clears today.
It feels like Christmas!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
dgf46: My very first (of seven) Kimber 1911's was an early CDP-II .45 ACP too. Accurate, completely reliable, it's been running 100% since I snagged it out of our local pawn shop years ago. Mine also has the carry melt treatment. Not sure why the mothership discontinued that treatment, as it sure aids concealed carry with no snagging.

Other than the grips, it's basically the twin to your new one with the carry melt treatment. My newer CDP 9mm from two years ago (top) shows subtle differences that the same Kimber model has now:

The best of luck to you with your late Christmas present to yourself. Mine runs well with everything I can stuff into it, I'm sure yours will be just as reliable. You can tell how much mine gets carried by the finish wear on the dust cover and trigger guard......a LOT. Let us know how yours shakes out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice pistols! Yea, I fully intend on the CDP being my main EDC.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I filled out the dreaded paperwork and now I wait :(
It's a nice pistol! I was expecting it to feel similar to my UCII. To my surprise it feels completely different. Can't wait to bring it home a d take it to the range.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Wood Grey Couch Luggage and bags Flooring

Brought it home this morning. It's in practically new condition. I probably won't make it to the range till Friday evening. I'll have a report at that time.

Thanks again for all of the advice and feedback. I now have my dream carry pistol! :love:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Congrats!
I love it when a plan comes together, and yours certainly did.....nice pistol and it appears it has good company also. Your collection is growing.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It is, thanks to all of you. I'm purchasing things I've wanted for years but didn't feel I should. All of my kids are adults now. Household income has increases over the years. Time to start spoiling myself :).
My wifes response to the new purchase, "it looks like the same gun you just bought". Meaning my UCII LOL

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
It is, thanks to all of you. I'm purchasing things I've wanted for years but didn't feel I should. All of my kids are adults now. Household income has increases over the years. Time to start spoiling myself :).
My wifes response to the new purchase, "it looks like the same gun you just bought". Meaning my UCII LOL
Ha! That's what my feelings are too. After 45 years of working, "my" wants and needs get some attention now. (Of course, they've been getting attention all along the way......lol)

That last statement has now built the foundation for the old response to that new pistol you bring home in the future...."Oh, this thing? I've had it for years, just coming back from the gunsmith/friend/shooting buddy, etc." Been working for gunny types for decades! ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I need to get some new sights for it. The tritium sites are pretty well burned out. I'll probably go with some Truglo TFX Pro sights.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts