Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one at a shop, held it, felt good in the hand so I bought it. Prior to buying I sold both my Glock 42 and Walther PPK/S. Hit the range today and ran 200 rounds through it. After the first 2 mags I fan a bore snake and then again after 2 more mags. Recoil/kick is similar but different than the Glock and much better than the PPK/S.

Over the remaining 172 rounds I had 2 minor issues that or may not be related and may or may not be due to my 'lefty' grip. I had 2 mag disconnects mid way through the mag and 1 FTC on a final round. I seem to have a lot of torque on the finger rest with my pinky when the gun recoils, maybe this 'torque' was pulling down on the mag. IDK...I know some issues with this.

Ammo was Winchester 115g FMJ 362ft/lbs

Anyways, later in the week I'll run another couple hundred through it. So far so good.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Saw one at a shop, held it, felt good in the hand so I bought it. Prior to buying I sold both my Glock 42 and Walther PPK/S. Hit the range today and ran 200 rounds through it. After the first 2 mags I fan a bore snake and then again after 2 more mags. Recoil/kick is similar but different than the Glock and much better than the PPK/S.

Over the remaining 172 rounds I had 2 minor issues that or may not be related and may or may not be due to my 'lefty' grip. I had 2 mag disconnects mid way through the mag and 1 FTC on a final round. I seem to have a lot of torque on the finger rest with my pinky when the gun recoils, maybe this 'torque' was pulling down on the mag. IDK...I know some issues with this.

Anyways, later in the week I'll run another couple hundred through it. So far so good.
Welcome Jim!

The Rapide is a great "little" shooter which takes some getting used to. The mag disconnect sounds like a grip issue. By FTC do you you mean Failure To Chamber? ...that might be attributed to the mag disconnect too. I found my thumb hitting the safety lever during recoil thus re-engaging the safety which required me to change my grip up a little. They're a smaller gun which calls for a little different handling. Sounds like it's running pretty good so far.

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
@Jim2527 welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Administrator
39,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

·
Registered
508 Posts

I had the same issue after each round the mag was ejecting itself. Can’t trust it for a EDC.Aside from that the finish on the slide& trigger was coming off. I sent it back to Kimber. They fixed the issues did a wonderful job. When I got it back in pristine condition I realized it was just to small of a gun for me, sold it locally for $40. More than I paid for it @ cabelas. Replaced it with an Ultra Carry no issues love the way it shoots more accurate for me compared to the Rapide & conceals very nice in a Sparks SS2.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome Jim!

The Rapide is a great "little" shooter which takes some getting used to. The mag disconnect sounds like a grip issue. By FTC do you you mean Failure To Chamber? ...that might be attributed to the mag disconnect too. I found my thumb hitting the safety lever during recoil thus re-engaging the safety which required me to change my grip up a little. They're a smaller gun which calls for a little different handling. Sounds like it's running pretty good so far.
Gun has known mag spring release. I also thought my thumb was hitting the release. When I looked carefully when firing my thumb or any part of my hand made contact with the mag release

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments… yes, FTC, Fail To Chamber.

I did some lurking on the forum before and knew about some issues with mag dropping but it didn’t bother me too much.

As I said in post 1, I’ll hit the range again for another 200 rounds and see how it goes. So far only 3 minor issues out of 200 for 98.5% reliability. No jams, no stove pipes, no FTE or anything like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Rapide made its second range voyage and worked flawlessly again just like its first trip. Had two gun noobs with me and after firing a Glock 44, Remington Model 51 380, a Ruger Wrangler, and Taurus G2C, both of them said they liked the Kinber Micro 9 the best. Perhaps they will become future customers.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
681 Posts
My Rapide made its second range voyage and worked flawlessly again just like its first trip. Had two gun noobs with me and after firing a Glock 44, Remington Model 51 380, a Ruger Wrangler, and Taurus G2C, both of them said they liked the Kinber Micro 9 the best. Perhaps they will become future customers.

Welcome to the forum!
What's not to like? I find that I have to force myself to carry my other firearms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

1. Local store had good deal on steel cased Winchester. It sucked. I suppose it’s not a good deal if it doesn’t eject.
2. Went back to basic brass range ammo that probably cost me the same as the steel cased and it worked fine

Hit the range today and fired off 200 rounds. The only issue I had was 1 mag drop after the 3rd shot, after that no issues.

So far I have 440 rounds through it with 3 mag drops and 1 fail to chamber. That’s an overall fail rate of
1% and a rate of 0.5% for today. I think I know what’s causing the mag drops, the mag release thing inside the frame is being pushed out by the mag follower as the follower moves up the mag. I blacked up the mag with a Sharpie to check mag release wear marks and it’s relatively consistent.

Overall I’m very very impressed with the quality. On new guns I’ll usually find some kind of burr that needs touching up or other wear marks. The Rapide has zero wear marks after 400 rounds.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Update:

1. Local store had good deal on steel cased Winchester. It sucked. I suppose it’s not a good deal if it doesn’t eject.
2. Went back to basic brass range ammo that probably cost me the same as the steel cased and it worked fine

Hit the range today and fired off 200 rounds. The only issue I had was 1 mag drop after the 3rd shot, after that no issues.

So far I have 440 rounds through it with 3 mag drops and 1 fail to chamber. That’s an overall fail rate of
1% and a rate of 0.5% for today. I think I know what’s causing the mag drops, the mag release thing inside the frame is being pushed out by the mag follower as the follower moves up the mag. I blacked up the mag with a Sharpie to check mag release wear marks and it’s relatively consistent.

Overall I’m very very impressed with the quality. On new guns I’ll usually find some kind of burr that needs touching up or other wear marks. The Rapide has zero wear marks after 400 rounds.
Good that you've pinpointed the problem with the mag dropping. Is it something you're able to repair?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts