Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I've been aquainted with Kimber for a while now via my wife's Micro 380 and her Micro 9. I carry and rotate a Sig P365XL and an HK P30SK as my EDC. Was looking for something a little smaller for warm weather wear a while back and purchased a Sig P365 on the same day my wife got her Micro 9.

While I really like my P365XL I found that I didn't care for the P365. It's a great little shooter but the grip just didn't feel right. I installed a Hogue Handall on it and that helped some but I just couldn't give it my love...so I sold it and went back on my quest looking for the perfect (for me) Micro pistol. Played around with the wife's Micro 9 and really liked the way it felt in the hand and considered buying a twin until I picked up a Micro 9 Rapide at the LGS the other day. I had looked at pictures of it and thought it was just okay..but when I put it in my hands that's when it called to me. The way it felt and came on point appealed to me
Long story short...it came home with me.

Features I like..the stock G10 grip panels with stipling along with some interesting finger grooves that the fingertips drop right into when grasping makes for a comfortable fit. There is stilling on the front of the grip frame too. It also has an flared extended mag well that allows the proprietary magazine w/ a pinky rest to fit deeper into the handle. It has a DLC coating on the barrel which should provide for extended wear. I like the ambi thumb safety so it can be confidently drawn with either hand. The step serrations on the slide offers a better grasp when operating. The lightening cuts in the sides and top of the slide are supposed to give it faster cycling time with the improved heavier recoil spring...I doubt that I'll ever notice that, but the cuts are kind of cool. The sights are a huge plus! Tru-Glo TFX Pro Day Night Sights have tritium night sights with fiber optic inserts giving the best of both worlds (I have never cared for the tritium only sights on my Sig) with light grabbing green rear sights and an orange front sight jump out at you and makes sighting down them guick and easy. It has a Kimpro coating on it which gives it a glass like feel will make it easier to keep clean.

All in all it's an impressive pistol to look at and to hold. It's been snowing the last day or so so it might be a bit before I can get back to my range. In the meantime I've given it a good cleaning and put the laser trainer in it and am shooting up all the door knobs in the house. I'll report back with my observations after I've shot it.
IMG_20210223_180036131.jpg
IMG_20210223_180011438_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.. And welcome to the Micro Rapide.. ahhh yes.. you are correct it just feels good in the hand and the for the look yep that too..I bought mine before Xmas and it took 100 rds too start performing right.. but now it’s a great runner.. so if yours gives you some problems just keep after it...and enjoy..
I love mine.. and my new best friend..

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
"I put it in my hand and it called to me!" BHAHAHA I don't know how many times I've heard and said that myself!

Reactions: DKimbro

·
Registered
42 Posts
This Micro 9 has caught my eye as well. I've been really happy with my Micro 9 Rosewood CC, but then the Micro 9 Raptor came to be...followed closely by the Rapide Black Ice. This may be a 2 gun year (or 3) before it's over. Saw a Raptor at my local Cabela's, but need to make it past tax season before I make that leap (hoping that it's still there). Anyone know if Cabela's does layaway?

·
Banned
2,326 Posts
Buck Rogers would have given his right nut for this Micro 9.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought one too like the feel. The only problem is I haven’t been able to get out to fire it.
Same hear. Snows to deep to get out to my range. We're in a bit of a warm spell so maybe enough will melt off so I can get a box of ammo thru it. I polished the feed ramp and have cycled the action about 500 times so its pretty smooth. I have a laser trainer which I've been utilizing for dry fire practice with various targets in the house...but I am kind of anxious to get some rounds down range.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Congratulations on your Micro 9 Rapide. I Like the 10mm, if the price ever drops back to reality, I might buy one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one today! Kinda mad it only came with one mag. Can only find additional on kimber website. Seems to only take its own special mag. Any insight in to others that work or a place to get more cheap?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought one today! Kinda mad it only came with one mag. Can only find additional on kimber website. Seems to only take its own special mag. Any insight in to others that work or a place to get more cheap?
The mag internally is the same as the seven round mag as on the standard Micro 9. Because it has an extended mag well they've added a custom polymer end on it to fit up in the well. You have a couple of options. You could remove the well and use the standard 7 or 8 round mags...or you could customize the standard mags polymer end cap to fit. A third option is to buy a Sig P938 mag and customize it. After looking at the going prices of all Micro 9 mags I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the Rapide mag.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I took my Rapide on its maiden voyage today. Loaded mag fully and plunked one in the chamber, slungshot it home, slapped in the mag and emptied it. Repeat 10 times. No hiccups. Shot it two hands, strong hand and weak hand. Only one complaint...when shooting two handed my thumb has the tendency to activate the safety. I have a Hogue wraparound grip coming for it that I believe will alleviate that problem.

Very happy with the results. I shot 124 grain FMJ Blazer ammo. It's very precise to point of aim. When I steadied and focused on grouping I was able to hold a 1-1/2" group at 7 yards.When quick aiming it opened up to about 3"- 4". I'm excited about what I can do when I get the new grips.

Even with the grip needing some girth I like this way better than the Sig P365 I had. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one to have issues with the safety. Only pistol I've ever had that did this. Even if
I can eliminate the problem by adjusting my grip, I doubt I will EVER carry this gun. Shame.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad I'm not the only one to have issues with the safety. Only pistol I've ever had that did this. Even if
I can eliminate the problem by adjusting my grip, I doubt I will EVER carry this gun. Shame.
It's a small gun for big hands. Holding it correctly is a challenge. As much trouble yours has given you and now your latest declaration that you'll never carry it... you should sell it and get something you'll truly enjoy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was out on the range today breaking in my new Shield Plus. I took the Micro 9 Rapide along to give it a workout too. Put around 60 down the pipe..ran like a Swiss watch. Dam I like this little gun..so accurate, so comfortable..so smooth. I had trouble deciding which one to shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts