Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all seen the new Rapide Models, the Dawn and the Scorpious?
They are both in 9mm only so far thankfully. I say that because I really liked the Rapide I bought in 45 ACP when they first came out and by the end of the year I had added the 9mm and 10mm. I was afraid 38 Super would come out next and I'd "have to have one". I know a 9 can be converted to a 38S easily, but I am trying to forget that. The new MSRP will help me to forget also!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Good looking is pretty subjective. It appears to me that Kimber is now focusing on just how many mill cuts they can assault a 1911 with, pretty color combinations and catchy names. Like Chuck, I wish they'd just concentrate on improving the breed and stop plying to the newbies with all the glitz and shiny objects to attract those who really don't really know or appreciate the 1911 but are attracted to the cuts and glitz.

But I suppose if some like lint catchers, more crannies to trap carbon, dirt and fluff, then these pistols with catchy names will certainly appeal to them. I see SA has a new line of 1911's (Garrison) that actually go back to the basics and look quite good (to me). If Kimber's production department would get the same support as their new product/marketing division, their CS department sure would be pleased, and less guns would be going back to the Mothership to correct what should have been done prior to leaving the factory.

The yearly Kimber catalog is getting less interesting (to me) every year now. I'm excited when I receive it, but then it's "just another striker-fired poly framed nine".

I'm almost loathe to say that my next handgun purchase may well be the 'new' SA35....the BHP clone to go along with my treasured T-Series that just returned from Novak's. In "normal times", my next purchase would most certainly have been a Kimber of one flavor or another.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
100% agree Rick. My next purchase will probably be a Dan Wesson Vigil suppressor ready 9mm. If I can find one and since I can't find a Aegis Elite Pro...

Reactions: 46QJI

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the Rapides are not for everyone, but I have plenty of ordinary 1911s for carry and home defense. For me the Rapides are simply a range gun. My old eyes love the sights and I have not had any problems with them so far. I do agree that just about all manufacturers could use a bit more QC.

I was a Quality Control inspector for 20 some years, although not in the firearm field. What I learned in those years is that unfortunately, Quality Control is the first pennies to be pinched when the money guys start complaining.

I'm not saying that is currently the case with Kimber, it's just a fact of bottom line priorities.

Back to the Rapides, after years of rather common 1911s I am enjoying the bling. :)

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
It seems all they're coming out with are small guns that appeal to first time buyers. The last remarkable gun Kimber bought out was the Classic Carry Pro with the round butt, giraffe grips and finished by Turnbull Restoration. It's one of my prized Kimbers.

Forgot to add, they only made it in our Lord's caliber.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like the Rapide but I’d really like a classic line with no front cocking serrations. One in blued, matte black, bead blasted stainless and one in stainless with brushed flats. All with an adjustable and fixed sight option. I think they’d do well with those…probably never happen though.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
It appears to me that Kimber is now focusing on just how many mill cuts they can assault a 1911 with, pretty color combinations and catchy names.
Hasn't that been Leslie Edelman's business plan since Day 1?
Build a generic 1911, but make it in three different sizes, gussy-up each one in a variety of grips, sights, and shape variations, then hose it down in different colors of Kimb-oleum.

I wish they'd just concentrate on improving the breed and stop plying to the newbies with all the glitz and shiny objects to attract those who really don't really know or appreciate the 1911 but are attracted to the cuts and glitz.
Ahdunno... Get rid of the little gimmicks, and Kimber wouldn't be offering anything different than all the other manufacturers. They'd be directly competing against companies that offer greater functionality at a better price point.

I'm almost loathe to say that my next handgun purchase may well be the 'new' SA35....the BHP clone to go along with my treasured T-Series
Yeah, that baby is sweet.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I don't understand why Kimber has not started offering a couple models with threaded barrels???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where do they get these names? They look more like sci-fi laser blasters than conventional firearms. To each their own. If Kimber makes money, that means they’ll be around to make more 1911s, so I’m all for their making what sells to first timers and those who like bling with gratuitous slide cuts.

Those prices are firmly in Dan Wesson territory though, and so I’m more likely to go that route.

i didn’t know Kimber made anything in 38 Super. I looked and sure enough the Pro Carry HD comes in 38 Super. If it had the CDP meltdown and custom shop tweaks, I’d be very tempted. I purchased a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super (break-in starts Monday) which fills this role.

Reactions: Destry

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I think you will be more happy with the DW Guardian in .38 Super than a Pro Carry HD, mainly because the Pro Carry is just like Sasquatch they are hard to find.
The msrp and street prices of Dan Wesson pistols has increased a lot during the past two years.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good looking is pretty subjective. It appears to me that Kimber is now focusing on just how many mill cuts they can assault a 1911 with, pretty color combinations and catchy names. Like Chuck, I wish they'd just concentrate on improving the breed and stop plying to the newbies with all the glitz and shiny objects to attract those who really don't really know or appreciate the 1911 but are attracted to the cuts and glitz.

But I suppose if some like lint catchers, more crannies to trap carbon, dirt and fluff, then these pistols with catchy names will certainly appeal to them. I see SA has a new line of 1911's (Garrison) that actually go back to the basics and look quite good (to me). If Kimber's production department would get the same support as their new product/marketing division, their CS department sure would be pleased, and less guns would be going back to the Mothership to correct what should have been done prior to leaving the factory.

The yearly Kimber catalog is getting less interesting (to me) every year now. I'm excited when I receive it, but then it's "just another striker-fired poly framed nine".

I'm almost loathe to say that my next handgun purchase may well be the 'new' SA35....the BHP clone to go along with my treasured T-Series that just returned from Novak's. In "normal times", my next purchase would most certainly have been a Kimber of one flavor or another.
I couldn't agree more. It's been a series of yearly declines in quality coupled with an increase in bling and ridiculous names for the video game generation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts