Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Kimber Solo owner and I shot it for the first time just 5 days ago. I wanted to throw my cents into the ring for anyone who is considering this gun and wavering back and forth like I did. I loved the look and feel the solo the first time I held it and knew it was time to replace my Keltec P3AT .380 (which I've wanted to upgrade from .380 to 9mm for a while now). Like most things I buy I began a blitzkrieg of research and reviews to be quickly surprised how many people were experiencing trouble and some downright hated this gun. This prompted more and more reading to find it seemed that it was almost like a 50/50 split for and against this gun. Against my normal practical common sense I decided to take the gamble. I was up against a short timeline as I needed to qualify this as my backup duty gun about 2 days after buying it. I was also not available the next day to practice due to scheduling. I picked up some ammo the same Thursday I bought it. I bought some:

Hornady XTP 147gn JHP
Federal Hydra-Shok 135gn Reduced Recoil
Remington UMC 124gn Target Ammo

First as mentioned in another post recently by a new owner make sure you grab that slide spring detailed in the manual in big red letters. I reassembled and did not make sure I had this (honestly was not clear on what the manual was saying here and winged it) but lets say its a little embarrassing when it locks open the first few times. What I really wanted to mention though was how well the gun shot and that I put about 10-12 rounds of the Hornady through the gun and about 30 rounds of the cheap-o Remington target ammo and it performed flawlessly. Not a single hiccup or otherwise. It actually was a little more accurate at 15 yards with the target ammo than the Hornady. I never got a chance to shoot the Federal but I plan on it as soon as I can.

I wanted to pass on my experience for those considering the solo and while I was very hesitant I am absolutely loving it so far and the trigger is quite nice in my opinion as well as some others who shot the gun that day. A buddy of mine that day gave me some Remington 115gn rounds similar to the 124gn ones I used and I plan on testing those to see how it works with those. I'll post some updates as I have them for those interested.

Steve

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Always nice to read a good Solo range report..........

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
It sounds like you had a great first time range experience but with the guns reputation I wouldn't deem it carry ready until I got another 400 - 500 trouble free rounds through it.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Welcome aboard! I too studied the Solo. I passed for now. Interested in your results especially with the 115 grn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts