Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
new to the forum from South Florida, first time Kimber owner. Just picked up a Target II Stainless in 9mm. Thoroughly cleaned it and lubed per owners manual instructions. Shot 150 rounds of American Eagle 124gr. After cleaning I noticed wear on the barrel hood which I thought to be unusual after only 150 rds.
Do not have similar wear on any of my other pistols but none of them are 1911s. Is this normal or should I reach out to Kimber CS?
Appreciate your comments.
5A06B75F-332A-46FC-9BDE-73658A22488F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Wear in that area is common... no... universal in pistols of this type. Rate of wear can be lessened with lubrication. I like to use a film of NLGI 0 grease inside the slide and on the barrel. You could remove the wear marks by polishing, but rest assured, they'll come back.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Like Rusty said, its common.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Common, yes. But it appears that particular barrel hood could use some lube. Polish that baby with some Flitz, lube it properly and the problem will mostly disappear.

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum Flo912, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forum Flo912, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.
I just bought 2 new Kimber’s they recommend shooters choice fp 10 for lubrication. Also Kimber’s are very tightly put together.what town r u in? I’m in Boynton beach. Go the range regularly either Delray or shot straight in WPalm. If u r in my neck of the woods we can meet at the range if interested. Have a great day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought 2 new Kimber’s they recommend shooters choice fp 10 for lubrication. Also Kimber’s are very tightly put together.what town r u in? I’m in Boynton beach. Go the range regularly either Delray or shot straight in WPalm. If u r in my neck of the woods we can meet at the range if interested. Have a great day
Thank you PaulIR. That’s what I used, applied the number of drops specified in the manual and spread it around the hood. Would be curious to know if your new ones show a similar wear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My new pro carry looks like the way it was machined it looks dull I did not yet shoot it. I did field strip it & lubed it. Since it’s brand new it’s very tightly put together. But I can rack the slide with no issues of any friction. U need to run a few hundred rounds to loosen up a bit. My LW stainless 5” is a bit looser since it has 400 rounds thru it. U can always contact Kimber their reps are real good. I don’t feel u have any real issue, if there is kimber will take care of it fast. I hope this eases your mind

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
Hello all,
new to the forum from South Florida, first time Kimber owner. Just picked up a Target II Stainless in 9mm. Thoroughly cleaned it and lubed per owners manual instructions. Shot 150 rounds of American Eagle 124gr. After cleaning I noticed wear on the barrel hood which I thought to be unusual after only 150 rds.
Do not have similar wear on any of my other pistols but none of them are 1911s. Is this normal or should I reach out to Kimber CS?
Appreciate your comments.
View attachment 125405
I checked some of the Kimber family in the safe today. None of them had wear even close to yours and two of them have in excess of 2K rounds fired. I would inspect for a big burr or something foreign on the slide...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked some of the Kimber family in the safe today. None of them had wear even close to yours and two of them have in excess of 2K rounds fired. I would inspect for a big burr or something foreign on the slide...
Thanks for checking. I did inspect the slide and could not find anything unusual, all smooth. When I rack the slide there seems to be some resistance before the slide moves forward from the most rearward position. Not sure if this is normal for a 1911 since this is my first one. The closest to a 1911 I own is a SIG P210 which does not have any resistance when racking the slide. Should I contact Kimber CS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts