Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just got my pro carry II today from my dealer. I bought it on gun broker and during my inspection. Everything looked kind of odd. It was listed as brand new in box. Check these photos out. Let me know if this is what it supposed to look like brand new. The grease looks all dried up. Not sure when it was manufactured no info on the box. Very plain box without any detailed sticker.
new to 1911s as well. This is my second one. First one was a Dan Wesson 10mm cbob. I was very young and inexperienced with the platform and I was not satisfied. Now I’m back and with a Kimber pc2.
Finger Thumb Gesture Nail Engineering

Wood Bicycle part Gadget Rim Auto part

Finger Thumb Gas Bumper Composite material

Hand Finger Thumb Nail Gas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way does that look new. Also there would be a owners manual & misc. paper work sometimes a packet of oil. I hope you did not accept transfer
Well… I did. Should I have told my dealer to keep it until I have contacted the seller?
it had everything. Some Kimber ads, oil sample, lock and keys, takedown tool, thank you note from Kimber, a sticker, the serial number tag still on the trigger guard. Could it look like that if it was in storage for 2 years? Can the grease look all dried up with 2 years of storage. Can they consider this NIB if it was 2 years old or should it have been listed new old stock? There is also a Yellow paper with first things to do with firearm from Kimber with their copyright marked as 2020 and Troy, AL
Slide, frame, grips look all good no scratches or marks or dings. No idiot scratch

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can always call kimber up give them the serial# & they can tell you date of manufacture. Out of curiosity what was FFL dealers thought when he saw the gun? Give it a good cleaning & lube, including the barrel. take some fresh pics & post them
He said it looked like old grease and felt it with his finger. He just got into dealing and he is not a 1911 guy. I showed some friends. They said that didn’t look right either. I was very hesitant but I was on my lunch break and I just did the transfer. I wasn’t thinking at all. I didn’t field strip it at the dealers place. Came home and did it. Afterwards, I tested loading a full mag and no issue loading a rounds in the chamber. I’ll clean it up really good, take it all apart extractor and fire pin and mag. The mag had some dried up grease on the follower

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seller is sportsman’s supply co from butler, pa. They have thousands of a+ reviews. Their google rating is crap. Locals say they don’t care about their in store stuff and they focus on gun broker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good thing is Kimber has a great warranty & about a 8 day or so turn around time. If there are any issues send it to Kimber on their dime & have them address any issues. Wish you the best of luck
Yeah, that’s all I can hope for. Their manufacturing is in Troy now? I live in TN, this will be a easy transit since it’s one state down. I heard Kimber CS is good to go. My first 1911 I sold about 13 years ago had its fair share of issues but I bought it second hand and no proof of purchase. DW did not want to help me at all and told me that the 10mm cbob had a lot of issues. They discontinued that line anyways. My extractor chipped and I didn’t notice it and when I fired the second round after clearing the jam I messed up the underside of the slide. Nicked it really good. I didnt know how to tune an extractor so I just sold it off instead. Wish I kept it. I was shooting double tap ammo out of it when the extractor broke.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pure speculation on my part but I have a theory. It looks like it was wet. As in a flood. That might explain the absence of the original packaging. The pics are hard to discern but it looks more like corrosion to me than wear. Also, grease can get funky like that when it is in contact with water.

I bought something from that seller on GB about a year ago and had no issue. They may have bought it wholesale and never looked at it before shipping.

Maybe I missed this, but did you call the seller and complain?
Seller business hours are closed on Sunday and Monday. I messaged them through GB last night. Yeah, that could be a possibility that it got wet somehow. The packaging is good to go. The box and the contents are not damaged at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Gun accessory
It looks clean. Everything is good but that feed ramp. I have contacted Kimber through email but haven’t called them yet and they have not emailed me back yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Because the frame is aluminum I'd be very hesitant about polishing it or recutting it. Once you go through the thin anodized layer the soft aluminum will be exposed. Repeated bullet impact on the soft aluminum will eventually result in divots that will seriously affect feeding.

I've put steel frame ramp inserts in all my aluminum framed 1911s to avoid this possibility. I doubt Kimber would do so.

I suggest you run the two range function tests. If there are no feeding issues traceable to the frame ramp, I wouldn't touch it.
It doesn’t feel smooth at all. All the tarnished areas are rough. I test loaded a magazine just now and a full mag fed fine. White box Winchester.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I interpreted your comment about the box to mean it didn't look original. So it came with branded Kimber tupperware and all the added stuff like documentation, takedown tool, etc was there? If not, that further supports my theory. A wet or damp environment would ruin most of the stuff they include in the carry case. If all the factory accoutrements are there and in good shape, then this is a real head scratcher.

Hope you get this sorted. I can imagine your disappointment. I'd be interested in what the seller says.
Gadget Computer hardware Automotive exterior Telephone Telephony
everything came with. Clean. No damaged paper. Gun lock and all. Box has serial number and it matches frame serial number, also match tag on trigger guard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, that blows my flood theory out of the water I guess. Pun intended. The pics of the firearm suggest corrosion, something environmental vs. wear to me. But I'm now at a loss to explain how that might have happened. Especially if the sticker on the Tupperware matches the pistol s/n.

Any word from the seller?
Seller isn’t open for business on sundays and mondays. I messaged them on GB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I will give em a call tomorrow when they open for business. Yeah, I guess you can say level headed but when it comes down to this kind of stuff, it's hard for me to get super angry at someone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Kimber answered my email. They told me to give them a call. My firearm was made in 2021. They sent the picture to one of their technicians. They said they will call me back but no call back yet. I'll call the seller tomorrow if they don't answer my message from GB.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Contacted thr seller, they will not do anything since I took the transfer. If I didn't, they will take it back but they would charge me a restocking fee. They were sorry to hear it but they said they sometimes see the firearm before they go on auction and they hold them in their warehouse. I sent them pictures but no response back. I doubt they will call me back or do anything for me. Lesson learned. Next time I purchase something online I will ask for real photos. Or just buy local.
Kimber still has my case under review.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
...clean thoroughly, shoot 100 rounds thru it, find all FTF/FTE issues, call Kimber, show them the pics and tell them the issues, (be nice), get the RMA and send it back to Kimber and let them fix i
Yeah, I think Steve on here has suggested the same thing. I have fed a couple mags through it to test if it had any issues with the corroded feed ramp. No issues feeding ball ammo. I wasn’t sure if I should shoot it yet since I have already contacted Kimber and they know about the feed ramp now. I need more mags. Only have the 1 factory mag. Any suggestions on mags best for the price. Kimpro tac mags good?
Only hollow points I have are the hst 230gr. +p ammo and I don’t think I should run those through there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts