Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Pure speculation on my part but I have a theory. It looks like it was wet. As in a flood. That might explain the absence of the original packaging. The pics are hard to discern but it looks more like corrosion to me than wear. Also, grease can get funky like that when it is in contact with water.

I bought something from that seller on GB about a year ago and had no issue. They may have bought it wholesale and never looked at it before shipping.

Maybe I missed this, but did you call the seller and complain?

·
Administrator
40,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike, I'd do as Steve suggested before giving Kimber a call.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your hobbies, and what area you're located in.

Reactions: Mighty Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pure speculation on my part but I have a theory. It looks like it was wet. As in a flood. That might explain the absence of the original packaging. The pics are hard to discern but it looks more like corrosion to me than wear. Also, grease can get funky like that when it is in contact with water.

I bought something from that seller on GB about a year ago and had no issue. They may have bought it wholesale and never looked at it before shipping.

Maybe I missed this, but did you call the seller and complain?
Seller business hours are closed on Sunday and Monday. I messaged them through GB last night. Yeah, that could be a possibility that it got wet somehow. The packaging is good to go. The box and the contents are not damaged at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Gun accessory
It looks clean. Everything is good but that feed ramp. I have contacted Kimber through email but haven’t called them yet and they have not emailed me back yet.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Something just not right. There has to be an explanation somewhere. My thought is, why would a seller with a good reputation on GB risk tarnishing it over one deal? First thing I would do would be to contact the seller with the pictures of the condition of the firearm when received. See what their reaction to it is. A lot can happen from the time it leaves the seller until the time you receive the goods.

Case in point.. I received a Micro 9 slide back from Kimber that I had returned for finish issues. It was loose inside the box and had no enclosed paperwork, ie: shipping label. Because the slide weathered the trip with no noticeable physical damage I didn't pursue the matter. There is no way that a company of Kimber's stature is going to ship goods in that manner.

That's what has me wondering that something very well could have happened to your package during the shipping trip. I'd be interested in hearing the shippers response.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The feed ramp is jacked up! I’m going to call Kimber tomorrow to see if they can polish it up. It looks shallow anyways, right?
Because the frame is aluminum I'd be very hesitant about polishing it or recutting it. Once you go through the thin anodized layer the soft aluminum will be exposed. Repeated bullet impact on the soft aluminum will eventually result in divots that will seriously affect feeding.

I've put steel frame ramp inserts in all my aluminum framed 1911s to avoid this possibility. I doubt Kimber would do so.

I suggest you run the two range function tests. If there are no feeding issues traceable to the frame ramp, I wouldn't touch it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Seller business hours are closed on Sunday and Monday. I messaged them through GB last night. Yeah, that could be a possibility that it got wet somehow. The packaging is good to go. The box and the contents are not damaged at all.
I interpreted your comment about the box to mean it didn't look original. So it came with branded Kimber tupperware and all the added stuff like documentation, takedown tool, etc was there? If not, that further supports my theory. A wet or damp environment would ruin most of the stuff they include in the carry case. If all the factory accoutrements are there and in good shape, then this is a real head scratcher.

Hope you get this sorted. I can imagine your disappointment. I'd be interested in what the seller says.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Because the frame is aluminum I'd be very hesitant about polishing it or recutting it. Once you go through the thin anodized layer the soft aluminum will be exposed. Repeated bullet impact on the soft aluminum will eventually result in divots that will seriously affect feeding.

I've put steel frame ramp inserts in all my aluminum framed 1911s to avoid this possibility. I doubt Kimber would do so.

I suggest you run the two range function tests. If there are no feeding issues traceable to the frame ramp, I wouldn't touch it.
It doesn’t feel smooth at all. All the tarnished areas are rough. I test loaded a magazine just now and a full mag fed fine. White box Winchester.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I interpreted your comment about the box to mean it didn't look original. So it came with branded Kimber tupperware and all the added stuff like documentation, takedown tool, etc was there? If not, that further supports my theory. A wet or damp environment would ruin most of the stuff they include in the carry case. If all the factory accoutrements are there and in good shape, then this is a real head scratcher.

Hope you get this sorted. I can imagine your disappointment. I'd be interested in what the seller says.
Gadget Computer hardware Automotive exterior Telephone Telephony
everything came with. Clean. No damaged paper. Gun lock and all. Box has serial number and it matches frame serial number, also match tag on trigger guard.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
everything came with. Clean. No damaged paper. Gun lock and all. Box has serial number and it matches frame serial number, also match tag on trigger guard.
Well, that blows my flood theory out of the water I guess. Pun intended. The pics of the firearm suggest corrosion, something environmental vs. wear to me. But I'm now at a loss to explain how that might have happened. Especially if the sticker on the Tupperware matches the pistol s/n.

Any word from the seller?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It doesn’t feel smooth at all. All the tarnished areas are rough. I test loaded a magazine just now and a full mag fed fine. White box Winchester.
As long as ammo feeds, I wouldn't mess with the feed ramp. Everyone wants a mirror polished feed ramp and it's not a bad thing to have but in this instance you risk compromising feeding reliability by removing the roughness.

I would simply shoot the pistol as is. If I just couldn't live with the rough feed ramp regardless of the fact that the pistol was 100% reliable, I'd find a good 1911 'smith and ask him to fit a steel frame ramp insert.

Here's the frame ramp insert I use.

Here's a pic of what one looks like after it's installed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, that blows my flood theory out of the water I guess. Pun intended. The pics of the firearm suggest corrosion, something environmental vs. wear to me. But I'm now at a loss to explain how that might have happened. Especially if the sticker on the Tupperware matches the pistol s/n.

Any word from the seller?
Seller isn’t open for business on sundays and mondays. I messaged them on GB.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Seller isn’t open for business on sundays and mondays. I messaged them on GB.
I'd give them a call. Email is the best way to deal with the big corporate vendors because they have a customer service team. But I think your seller is a sole proprietor or family biz. Talk to them the old-fashioned way and see if they are willing to help. No credible small business wants to disappoint a customer. The big guys... the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Small companies are more about relationships. You seem level-headed, not reactive. Give them a shot to make it right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I will give em a call tomorrow when they open for business. Yeah, I guess you can say level headed but when it comes down to this kind of stuff, it's hard for me to get super angry at someone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Kimber answered my email. They told me to give them a call. My firearm was made in 2021. They sent the picture to one of their technicians. They said they will call me back but no call back yet. I'll call the seller tomorrow if they don't answer my message from GB.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I purchased a new Ruger LCR from a very reputable LGS that when I checked the serial number for date of manufacture found that it was 2 years old when I received it. It sat in a warehouse for that long before I bought it. I guess that's why they have a lot of oil on them when we get them.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts