Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had a muscle car since 81 and that nice looking but sorely underpowered 85 Z28 didn't count. But with kids out on their own, no car payments for years, recent retirement and doing some side jobs I treated myself to this! Not a Hellcat but I could hardly justify the additional 18K for the 200 horses I could rarely if ever really let out of the gate. This is no daily driver for me but is nostalgic and fun for me.

I will eventually get my 60s Mopar muscle car someday but till then...This Challenger 392 Hemi SRT in classic B5 blue will do!500 horses is plenty for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That is gorgeous !! I'm a mopar guy and had three new Challengers, the last being a Black SRT8. They are the best in my opinion. Fast and comfortable. Did you know that much of the underpinnings are Mercedes? I believe E and some S class from when they were partnered with Chrysler/Dodge. I never even spun the tires on mine I did accelerate quickly at times but mainly just enjoyed the heck out of the driving experience. You got a real winner. By the way if you don't have a spare tire invest in a "spare tire kit" for it. It'll give you a lot of peace of mind. I just sold mine to update my wifes car but I'll have another. More pictures !!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, considering the spare kit.

It had 300 miles on it. Someone drove off and didn't qualify for a loan and had to bring it back. 300 miles saves me about 5k.

Mopar SRT did a VIN check and it is 1 of 24 made to the same specs and options. Neat to know but it will be 50 years before that means anything...if it survives and my son can keep it nice when I check out!

I still hear a Hemi GTX or 440 Dart GTS calling my name! In B5 or B7 blue of course.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Years ago I had two Max Wedge Plymouths and one Street Wedge, all automatics and I got the speed thing out of me. I loved them but they were crude and pretty radical and now I figure like your car, the new ones are faster, and you've got so much luxury and options and you can drive cross country if you like. I had also done the car show thing but got very tired of that, just sitting around with the car. Now I'd rather get in and drive somewhere and enjoy the car. We have a lot of Amish areas South and East of Cleveland and it's nice to just take off for the day and go out into the country and get away from the city. Well anyway like I mentioned you've got the best of the modern muscle cars. You'll enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
By the way mine had about the same miles when I bought mine and they gave me an extended warranty, maybe you could press the dealer for that because technically it's a use car with miles. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way mine had about the same miles when I bought mine and they gave me an extended warranty, maybe you could press the dealer for that because technically it's a use car with miles. It's worth a try.
Thats a label that can vary from state to state legally. In AZ it is not used till titled to someone else. Dealer demo cars can have thousands of miles but are considered new. Of course they get discounted due to those miles... Mine has full factory warranty plus the 330 miles that were on the odometer.

When my warranties expire it is due to time, not miles.

My 06 Mega cab Ram Cummins has 78k on it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Years ago I had two Max Wedge Plymouths and one Street Wedge, all automatics and I got the speed thing out of me. I loved them but they were crude and pretty radical and now I figure like your car, the new ones are faster, and you've got so much luxury and options and you can drive cross country if you like. I had also done the car show thing but got very tired of that, just sitting around with the car. Now I'd rather get in and drive somewhere and enjoy the car. We have a lot of Amish areas South and East of Cleveland and it's nice to just take off for the day and go out into the country and get away from the city. Well anyway like I mentioned you've got the best of the modern muscle cars. You'll enjoy the heck out of it.
Oh I get what you say. I still love those old engine holders. Ugly and loud is how I like them. I almost got a 426 Max Wedge Belvedere at auction in Jan. I like them for what they are with no expectations of anything else. Don't really care about shows etc. Just driving them.

I nearly puked when I saw a 70 LS6 Chevelle SS at Barrett exactly like mine go for 125K. I sold it in 1979 or 80 with 72K miles on it for $1800.

Had an 69 El Camino that would pull the left front wheel up 8 inches with a 510 rat motor. Had to drive a 64 VW baja to school and around but on friday and saturday night it rocked.

We crammed a 426 Hemi into Demon that was a lot of fun too.

The SRT is awesome and will smoke much of what we thought to be fast back in the day, but I still want to go backwards and make those nerd in Jap tuners ask WTF is that?

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
Love the new Mopar, only change I would have made is mine would be Black! I'm still trying to come up with a good reason to buy one.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would to see photos of those old Mopars too!

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Hellava nice car Mike. My brother has the 2016 scat pack and I drove it the last time I visited him. That's about the most sensitive gas pedal I ever felt. It's got some serious power. I sure your going to have a great time with it, congratulations.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Congrats Mike on the new toy. Enjoy the hell out of it! I have a '69 Chevelle convert with a 454 and it gives me a lot of pleasure. Funny as you get older it changes what you want in a car. One of the guys in our club is a premier fabricator, body man and painter. Recently he went to Vegas on vacation and rented a new Challenger. He came home and sold a couple of his cars and said he wanted something that when he got in and wanted to go he could just turn the key and know if would start and get him to his destination. Every year I enjoy wrenching less and less. Come to think of it I just had my bumpers re-chromed and now that I have painted the brackets it is time to put it back together.

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
Nice car Mike, I'm surprised at the number of gearheads we have as members here. I've got my 23 T-Bucket and 75 Chevelle that I still wrench on but I won't even lift the hood on anything with a computer in it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I will have to dig a little we just moved a couple weeks ago but I'll find them. I have to agree with you about the old cars. Crazy as it sounds i loved the sweet smell of the racing gas, or aviation fuel and how those old cars would just explode and go sideways. I actually liked them all but always favored the max wedge cars. Second was my old 50 Merc's. Had four of them, last one with a chopped top. Oh well your car is the best of both worlds, comfort and speed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice car Mike, I'm surprised at the number of gearheads we have as members here. I've got my 23 T-Bucket and 75 Chevelle that I still wrench on but I won't even lift the hood on anything with a computer in it.
I'm not Chuck, I think most members here are of the age that when they were young. If they wanted a car they had to do some wrenching on it to keep it running. Gear heads by necessity when young often leads to gear head hobbyist later in life.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Beautiful car -- that is exactly what my 8 year old grandson wants, and he is a true car guy; plans to be a mechanic when he grows up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts