Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... and now resident in the midwest USA. Never even seen a gun until literally a few weeks ago, being British and all that....

I went into a gun shop and browsed, amazed and breathless, at all the hardware that I would never see in the UK and, seeing as the chap behind the counter was taking pity on this Limey, took me downstairs to the range and took my virginity by letting me loose with a 1911 and 10 rounds.
Loved it - bought the 10 year old out in me, it did.

So, I had a browse, also had a chat with a few people there, and bought a Kimber Pro Carry 2. Not a totally uninformed choice, but I liked the look and I liked the rosewood grips...
I also booked myself into a day's firearms training run my a local police officer which was imperative for me.

I am not interested in self or home defence, nor could I possibly hunt, but, my god, I love punching holes in paper!

Lovely gun - have put 250 rounds of .45 through it - only issue is that the grips keep coming loose and I have to wield an Allen key to tighten it up.

I had to wait 3 days before picking it up due to the fact I'm a green card holder, not a citizen yet.

A couple of odd things... when I got it home and took it out of the case I have to admit to feeling viscerally unwell and breathtakingly anxious, like I had done something awful and irreversible...such is the imprinting that all of us have in the UK with respect to guns. That has passed but it's still a very weird thing for me to own. The other is going into a store and uttering sentences to the staff there that I never thought I'd ever utter like "What kinds of 45 ammo do you stock?".

All bizarre but enjoyable. I moved to the US to expand my horizons; this is all part of it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois and congratulations on becoming a Kimber owner Dave.

The loose grip screw can be cured by placing a small rubber o-ring under the screw head. You can pick them up in a hardware store, home center or order them online from McMaster-Carr.

#60 o-rings fit grip screws on full size 1911.
1/4" O.D. X 1/8" I.D. X 1/16".

Reactions: OLE442

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you folks!

And yes, I plan to at least go once a week to hit some paper. It's like throwing darts in the pub - except that it's a lot noisier and a tad more dangerous!
Oh, and it doesn't go too well with drinking beer I suspect...

Yes - a nice piece of machinery - a great 'boys toys' for me to play with.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Dave? Hope that's your name, anyway welcome to America, Kimber Talk, gun ownership, I guess the list is unlimited so I'll stop. Congrats on your first pistol, Kimber you picked an excellent model for your first pistol.
We look forward to hearing the UK prospective of anything you want to share. No worries about only using it to punch paper.

Word around here is it won't be your last Kimber. You can tell from my signature how I know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that is quite a list of hardware! It's getting time out to use them that I'm struggling with - the local one to me closes at 4pm so I have to travel into town, 3/4 hour away to the range in the shop where I bought it. I've passed 250 rounds through it in 2 sessions with no failures or jamming...
Taking it down for a clean for the first time was a bit of a challenge but I think I've got that sussed now.
I found some good (ie cheap) ammo too - Winchester service grade 45 ACP for just over $15 for 50 rounds so I've stocked up on that...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Welcome to the USA Dave! Hopefully you'll get to experience the most of it before the progressives here turn it into an even more liberal utopia. I hope the folks in the UK wake up and stop the BS that I feel has been promoted in Europe for a long while.

Yes, punching holes in paper is fun......since I don't hunt but having the ability to defend yourself successfully is a very calming but yet sobering freedom. I don't take it lightly.

Don't ever shoot an UZI.......you'll be hooked on evil black guns. That was the first real gun I ever bought and it is oh such fun to shoot IMO!

Do you plan on staying in the states and becoming a U.S. citizen? My Dad had a friend who married a young British woman while he was in the service and she came to the U.S. afterwards. I always enjoyed her British accent and she had a really great sense of humor!

Take care,
OLE442

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome aboard Dave!

Being Canadian born, and now also a U.S. citizen (1958), I know well about draconian and useless gun laws. I'll never live anywhere but here ever again. Welcome to both the good 'ol USA, and to our little forum family here too. :)

During the Vietnam ordeal during ops, I carried a 1911 .45 and ever since the war ended, I've not been without one either on me or more than four feet away from me. Without one on me, I probably list to starboard anyway by now! :eek:

But be warned.....Kimbers, and the 1911 once owned and loved, will 'breed' in your safe or nightstand drawer regardless of adult supervision. :D

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Wow that is quite a list of hardware! It's getting time out to use them that I'm struggling with - the local one to me closes at 4pm so I have to travel into town, 3/4 hour away to the range in the shop where I bought it. I've passed 250 rounds through it in 2 sessions with no failures or jamming...
Taking it down for a clean for the first time was a bit of a challenge but I think I've got that sussed now.
I found some good (ie cheap) ammo too - Winchester service grade 45 ACP for just over $15 for 50 rounds so I've stocked up on that...
I'm retired so time is not really a problem, indoor range where membership is $75 bucks a year is 6 miles from my house, no problem there.
I guess we need to introduce you to Freedom Munitions online ammo. Check there website, free shipping to first time buyers and they almost always offer free shipping on holidays.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome from AL. So glad you made your way here! For a "noobie" you certainly chose a fine firearm. Killing paper bad guys can be a most addictive hobby and, like others have warned, one Kimber is never enough! Keep us informed on you future range trips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Welcome to the USA Dave! Hopefully you'll get to experience the most of it before the progressives here turn it into an even more liberal utopia. I hope the folks in the UK wake up and stop the BS that I feel has been promoted in Europe for a long while.

Yes, punching holes in paper is fun......since I don't hunt but having the ability to defend yourself successfully is a very calming but yet sobering freedom. I don't take it lightly.

Don't ever shoot an UZI.......you'll be hooked on evil black guns. That was the first real gun I ever bought and it is oh such fun to shoot IMO!

Do you plan on staying in the states and becoming a U.S. citizen? My Dad had a friend who married a young British woman while he was in the service and she came to the U.S. afterwards. I always enjoyed her British accent and she had a really great sense of humor!

Take care,
OLE442
...ah, now, I don't want to get into the gun ownership argument, nor do I want to get into anything political....I do have some views that are possibly different to many people on the forum. I introduced myself to the world of gun ownership because as a foreigner here in the Midwest I have to make the effort to integrate and understand and confront ideas that are diametrically opposed to what I believed back in the UK and I have learnt a lot - an awful lot. But I am happy to live in the USA with the cognitive dissonance I experience because I feel I kind of 'get it' now why the USA have guns in their culture, which I didn't understand previously.
Oh, I also have an S&W .357 magnum, a Beretta 92FS and a 1995 Sig Sauer P230 - which I love so much I've sent it back to Sig for a full service!

Unfortunately the gun/anti gun argument gets too inflamed too quickly for rational discussion most times and I am not willing to go down that route. I chose to move here 4 years ago because overall I love the USA, I have family members here, and since I've moved here, America has been very very good to me... very good to me indeed! I love the USA... guns an' all!!

And yes - I do intend to become a citizen - I can't wait!

:)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
...ah, now, I don't want to get into the gun ownership argument, nor do I want to get into anything political....I do have some views that are possibly different to many people on the forum. I introduced myself to the world of gun ownership because as a foreigner here in the Midwest I have to make the effort to integrate and understand and confront ideas that are diametrically opposed to what I believed back in the UK and I have learnt a lot - an awful lot. But I am happy to live in the USA with the cognitive dissonance I experience because I feel I kind of 'get it' now why the USA have guns in their culture, which I didn't understand previously.
Oh, I also have an S&W .357 magnum, a Beretta 92FS and a 1995 Sig Sauer P230 - which I love so much I've sent it back to Sig for a full service!

Unfortunately the gun/anti gun argument gets too inflamed too quickly for rational discussion most times and I am not willing to go down that route. I chose to move here 4 years ago because overall I love the USA, I have family members here, and since I've moved here, America has been very very good to me... very good to me indeed! I love the USA... guns an' all!!

And yes - I do intend to become a citizen - I can't wait!

:)
Dave:

Sounds like you have it all well thought out. Sounds like you're a great addition to the USA!!

Reactions: Entropydave
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.