Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
WoW! You're saying you switched off the safety and that caused the hammer to drop? That would be a defective pistol. The only way that firearm should be able to fire is only when the trigger is depressed. I'd give Kimber a call and explain what happened to get their take on it. I bet they will want to take a look at the gun.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Not to say anything negative here but you know you can unload a micro nine with the safety on the slide will still retract. Also couldn’t have been JUST the safety itself, you are looking at TWO failures not just the safety. The firing pin safety will not release the firing pin unless the trigger is depressed. Pull the slide off and push on the firing pin, it shouldn’t push through until you push up on the pin safety. If you depressed the safety as stated and the hammer fell the gun would still not fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Not cool dude, not cool at all! I bet that was a real eye opener!! Glad you only killed your mattress.
OK, all you Micro9 owners go check your weapons "Outside" of course...

Reactions: bad ninja and wayne

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Albert makes a valid point.
And let's assume you weren't fingering your trigger.
I have a hypothesis.

I believe on that particular pistol, the safety can be set up so close--too close--that it prevents the hammer from falling, but doesn't prevent the sear from engaging the hammer in the usual way. If this is the case, the trigger can be pulled with the safety on, and the sear will release the hammer exactly one RCH (a unit of measurement). You might not notice this unless you're looking for it. When this happens, when the safety is disengaged, the hammer will drop. What I don't know is what is going on with the firing pin safety under these conditions. When the trigger is pulled and the sear is stuck outward, is the firing pin safety pushed out of the way? I don't know.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't even kill the mattress as I slept on it last night. But some where inside it is a fully expanded 124gr hollow point bullet. It never exited. Only small repairable hole in top. Calling Kimber in morning to see what they say.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
When deactivating any auto pistol, I ALWAYS drop the mag, rack the slide to clear the chamber, then lower the hammer slowly with my thumb.

Never had an AD, no holes in the floor, mattress or any other household object. A bit of operator error here buddy, although I'd contact the Mothership for an RMA, as the thing does indeed need some factory attention.

Due diligence and adherence to the fundamental rules of gun safety would have prevented ventilating that mattress. Just sayin'.......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For your info I did drop mag and rack slide. Just didn't notice that the round in chamber didn't eject. I then pulled trigger to drop hammer and because safety was still on it didn't drop. Then when I took it off safe it went bang. I had just unloaded my Walther and didn't think to clear area on bed so I could tell that the one in chamber didn't eject. Also the slide is so stiff on the Micro I probably short stroked it and that is why it didn't eject.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I'm surprised that after you dropped the mag and racked the slide, that you didn't notice a live round still in the chamber.

My son worked for Glock in their LE Division for years. I've been around firearms for over 60 years and was a bit surprised when I'd see him prepare a pistol for cleaning....drop the mag, rack the slide about five or six times, THEN tear off the slide.

I see your point, but not noticing a live round in the chamber is your fault, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Simple test, repeat the process numerous times. Rack slide with safety on and hammer back, pull trigger, (remove finger from trigger) Snap safety off and see if you can repeat failure. (With a empty gun of course). If it won’t repeat the failure after numerous attempts I would rack this up to a negligent discharge on your part and let it go as a learning experience. Unless the trigger itself stuck part way back the pin safety can’t disengage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And that's your excuse for not noticing a live round still in the chamber?

What the hell does "other rounds on the bed" have to do with a live round still in your pistols chamber?
Read my previous account of what happened. And as I said the gun has very stiff slide I can hardly pull it back. I love the way it shoots but I have had trouble pulling slide back before. And in order to drop hammer you have to drop the safety. Going to get rid of gun so I won't have it around anymore.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Read my previous account of what happened.
I've re-read it multiple times; doesn't change a thing.

Before sending the gun down the road, see if you can duplicate what happened (empty gun) as Albert described above. It could also be a weak extractor or incorrect extractor hook profile that's not pulling the case from the chamber. How many rounds have you fired in this weapon?

As far as not having the strength to rack the slide comfortably, perhaps a revolver would be more suitable for your needs. But as you appear to be about 48 years young, also consider the S&W Shield 9mm, as it's key feature is an easy to rack slide that your wife may appreciate too if she's so inclined.

Having an AD is embarrasing to anyone. Having the sand to post your mistake tells us all that you're an up-front guy who has most likely learned from the experience, and that's what really matters. Carry on.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Like I said there were other rounds on the bed. But for it to fire when dropping the safety that is the issue.
Visual check of the chamber would have prevented your NDischarge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Visual check of the chamber would have prevented your NDischarge.
I agree. But gun still malfunctioned. And yes I got it to do the same thing again. Only this time with an empty chamber. After racking the slide I pulled the trigger and then dropped the safety and the hammer dropped. So it is going back it MOM and then to local gun shop as trade bait. I will be getting a Walther CCP M2.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree. But gun still malfunctioned. And yes I got it to do the same thing again. Only this time with an empty chamber. After racking the slide I pulled the trigger and then dropped the safety and the hammer dropped. So it is going back it MOM and then to local gun shop as trade bait. I will be getting a Walther CCP M2.
Send it back if you duplicated the failure.
If it os all good when it returns, keep it.

I've had a ND once.
I shot a. 45 acp hole in a footlocker in my gun room.
I had re assembled a pistol (incorrectly) and loaded a single round to see if it would feed.
When I racked the slide to chamber a round, the hammer dropped, and fired a round.

The only reason I didnt shit myself, was my drawstring was puckered so tight you couldnt drive a nail in it with a sledgehammer.

Was 100% my fault and was an effective learning experience. Now I check everything 3 times.
Didnt get rid of the gun.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts