Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
For your info I did drop mag and rack slide. Just didn't notice that the round in chamber didn't eject. I then pulled trigger to drop hammer and because safety was still on it didn't drop. Then when I took it off safe it went bang. I had just unloaded my Walther and didn't think to clear area on bed so I could tell that the one in chamber didn't eject. Also the slide is so stiff on the Micro I probably short stroked it and that is why it didn't eject.
I think something isn't adding up. Engaging the safety cams the hammer back off the sear, and then drops it onto the sear again when disengaged. The sear will not allow the hammer to fall unless the trigger is pulled. You'd have to have two mechanical failures at this point for that to happen.

The third failure that would enable the gun to fire would occur if the hook shaped ejector that presses the firing pin block also somehow moved forward into position to allow fp movement. The only thing that can move this is the trigger.

The 4th failure necessary for your scenario would be if the extractor somehow didn't engage the round in the chamber to remove it when racking the slide.

Odds are 10,000 to 1 that the trigger was pulled when the safety was switched off and that you didn't check the chamber rather than 4 separate safety features all failing simultaneously.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wrong wrong wrong. I pulled the trigger to get the hammer to drop, then I realized that the safety was still on and thumbed it down. I didn't have my finger on the trigger. As far as the chamber still having a round in it I think I short stroked the slide and it just rechambered the round. And I will report what Kimber found when I get it back. I am calling them tomorrow to get an rma.
Again, without multiple safety features all failing at once, this is impossible. Take the slide off the gun, and with the hammer resting in the down/un-cocked position pull the trigger. Notice the little hook shaped ejector moving back and forth? It corresponds with a plunger in the slide that allows the firing pin to move only when the trigger is held rearward.

Pulling the trigger when the safety is in the safe position does nothing, as the sear has been cammed back off the trigger. Moving the safety to the fire position gives control of the sear back to the trigger.

You say in the post above that you pulled the trigger to get the hammer to drop, realized that the safety was on, and then moved it to the off position. You say the hammer fell at this point, but even if it hadn't then you would have pulled the trigger again as you say above, since your goal was to drop the hammer. This would also have resulted in a negligent discharge, since you admit that you might have short stroked the slide and definitely failed to clear the chamber.

You were trying to pull the trigger in order to drop the hammer, thinking the safety was off, and that the hammer would fall. That's basically you saying that there would have been a dead mattress with or without a mechanical failure of the gun. I suggest you take a firearms safety course before continuing to use and handle them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The OP clearly tried to blame everything on the gun, and jumped ship when we all pointed out that it was almost mechanically impossible for what he described to have actually happened. Nothing brave about that...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts