Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
WoW! You're saying you switched off the safety and that caused the hammer to drop? That would be a defective pistol. The only way that firearm should be able to fire is only when the trigger is depressed. I'd give Kimber a call and explain what happened to get their take on it. I bet they will want to take a look at the gun.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I unloaded mine and put a laser cartridge in the chamber because A) it won't extract and B) to see if the hammer dropped, that it would advance the firing pin. With the safety on I pulled the trigger and then released the safety...the only hammer movement I saw was the safety flat spot rotating against the hammer. I tried this several times. I your hammer is releasing when you snap off the safety ...it is definitely time to return to Kimber.

Regarding the racking effort of the Micro 9. With the hammer in the cocked position I have found the slide very easy to operate. I've even racked it when the hammer was down and found it a little stiffer but still manageable. I wonder if yours has a heavier spring in it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Don't know and don't care going back to Mom and then to LGS for trade.
Well I'm glad we have open discussion on this and work towards the possible cause. You started the thread with that intent...or so I thought. Looks as if you'll be dumping your Micro 9 in favor of a Walther...but those of us that do own and like the Micro 9..we would be interested as to what is wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discounting the fact that you still had a round in the barrel, I am not going to make a judgment here. I have a friend who is a long haul driver. He had his micro on the seat and apparently it got wet. When it dried he found it and went to pull it out of the holster. He said that because the holster had shrunk, it took the gone off safety as he pulled it out and the hammer fell and put a 9mm through his hand.
This is the second issue I have heard of this.
Personally, I have no problem carrying the gun with the hammer down. The firing pin needs inertia to pop it through the carrier hard enough to penetrate the firing pin. The firing pin sits far away from the primer.
We have a member on here whose major complaint with the Micro 9 is that the safety is swept off to easily and to often leaving him uncomfortable in carrying it cocked and locked. I believe he owns both a Micro and a Micro 9. Even with that happening with both of his Micro's often he has yet to mention a ND. I can offer this assessment.. I instruct CPL classes to novice and experienced folk... the two safety violations I consistently see are muzzle and trigger discipline.. with trigger discipline leading the charge. To be honest, the novices are safer than the experienced folks Though my heart goes out to anyone who is injured or has injured someone else due to a ND.. 99 times out of 100 it was due to their own negligence. The first 1/2 hour of my presentation covers gun handling safety which emphasizes to NOT point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy and keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are on your target.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You forgot one that lead to this ND. Always check the chamber for a loaded round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct. That's the FIRST rule of gun safety..ALL GUNS ARE LOADED. I was referring to the two I see violated the most during my course. I have a list of range commands that now include "finger!" and "muzzle!".

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Shit man, I make mistakes all the time.
That's how we learn things.
As long as no one got hurt, laugh about it and learn from it.
I agree...I have to hand it two @Twobits73 for having the courage to post this. I'm very interested in what Kimber finds with his pistol. We can all speculate on it...but we weren't there to witness it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We may never find out it's been 9 days since Twobits has been online.
That may be true.. but let's hope he's a man of his word and will report back to us on Kimber's findings.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Argee, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one based on his previous comments here.
I suppose your right. Why would someone report a N D and not expect to take flak from it. You're on a gun forum amongst your peers where gun safety is paramount to most. You give thanks that no one was killed or injured...learn from the experience and press on. I guess on a public forum one develops a thick skin and doesn't get all butt hurt when someone criticizes them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
lol

You know that's 100% bullshit, right?

1. MRI magnetic fields aren't like in the movies.
They are strong enough to affect metal objects, but not strong enough to defeat the safeties on a 1991 a1.
2. 1991 a1 have the series 80 safety.

Someone took the thumb safety off and fingered the trigger when they set it on top of the cabinet.

This BS story saved the ass of the nurse/radiologist for fingering the gun, as well as the cop that handed a loaded service weapon to a hospital employee.
I wasn't there so I can't dispute the findings..nor can you if you weren't there. Your opinion may be that everyone was lying through their teeth but the science says otherwise. With an exceedingly strong magnet I wouldn't discount anything.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wasn't on the Rust movie set either but I know that gun didnt just go off like Baldwin said it did.

I am, however, familiar with a 1911 a1 as well as an MRI machine.

It sure as shit didnt happen like they said it did.
In reading the account of it again, it doesn't appear that any one is trying to cover anything up. The cop informed the technologist that he had a loaded firearm. The technologist informed him to keep it with him and meant to meet him in the patient waiting area before he entered the M R suite. He got distracted and the cop went into the suite with the pistol. So any negligence may lay with the tech. The cop said the pistol was ripped from his hand by the magnet when he attempted to set it atop a cabinet three feet away.

"Examination of the weapon by a ballistics laboratory concluded that the force of the magnetic field was responsible for the firearm's discharge. "

To me, it doesn't sound like anyone is trying to skirt what happened.

I have experience with MRI too... I had one. That doesn't make me an expert on it though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
"We investigated ourselves and determined we did nothing wrong."

Think logically.

"Ripped the gun from his hand".... yet didnt rip the belt or badge from his uniform....or any of the other metal or hardware in the room?
Outside of the machine?

I don't need to be an expert to know how an MRI machine works.
I'm not a mechanic either but I know how an ICE works.
Well... I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I going to get in a pissing contest about what "really" happened as I wasn't there. I can see no reason for them to lie. He didn't have his belt or badge on as he was in a robe so as to have an MRI performed. He carried his weapon with him to keep it secure. No one else handled it and apparently there was no safe place to keep it secure except in plain view. I would imagine in hindsight he should have left it secured in his vehicle...again I wasn't there to hear his side of the story. You can doubt it all you want.. I'm going to take him at his word.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Relax.
It's just a discussion.
That's why we have discussion forums.

He..was in a robe...with a single action only semi automatic.. loaded handgun... unholstered...in condition 1.. and was going to set it on a cabinet during his MRI...because he wanted to keep it safe?
WTF?
How did that work out for him?

I can't imagine why he would want to absolve himself of liability.

Top. Men.
I would imagine... hindsight being 20/20 he wishes he would have put a little more forethought into carrying a loaded firearm into an exam. That's one of the rules of carrying a firearm...have a plan on what you're going to do with it when you're somewhere it's not welcome, or not legal to carry, etc...even a LEO needs to think ahead..he apparently did not. I have a cable tethered safe where I can store my firearm if I'm going in somewhere where it's illegal to carry, such as a post office, etc.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
He was "off duty" so I don't imagine he had his patrol car with him. They had to power the machine off to release the gun. So you're saying there was an N D caused by a finger on the trigger. They (he) then picked up the empty casing and inserted back in the chamber, cocked it and locked it. That's pretty far fetched.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A puritanical outlook will inhibit some folks from thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A fantastical outlook will have some people ignoring basic facts and following an imaginary story line.
Thinking outside the box is good for some things, not so good for others. Pretending that playing with a gun and shooting someone is anything other than what it is is on par with pretending a man is a woman.
Basing observations on the facts and testimony presented of the account by someone who was there trumps speculation in my book.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I ended up taking gun back to store I bought it from. They gave me my money back and sent it into Kimber. I asked him the other day what ever happened. He said Kimber sent him a new gun. That is all I can tell you. It must of been a real disaster if they just replaced it. They never told him what was wrong with the original one. And I did end up getting a Walther CCP M2 in 9 mm. Yes I know there are issues with them short stroking and loading a new round but not being cocked. Only happens if you are using light rounds or don't pull the slide all the way back when loading it. But by looking at the cocking indicator it will show if that has happened.
I'm glad you got it resolved and purchased a firearm of your liking, I sure would have liked to know what Kimber found on it. The fact that they replaced it speaks volumes. Enjoy your new pistol and don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I still like the looks and feel of a Kimber micro but it has scared me. My wish is some day having a full size Kimber 1911 in 45 acp
I've been looking at the Ultra with great interest and recently a Springfield EMP has caught my eye.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts