Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've re-read it multiple times; doesn't change a thing.

Before sending the gun down the road, see if you can duplicate what happened (empty gun) as Albert described above. It could also be a weak extractor or incorrect extractor hook profile that's not pulling the case from the chamber. How many rounds have you fired in this weapon?

As far as not having the strength to rack the slide comfortably, perhaps a revolver would be more suitable for your needs. But as you appear to be about 48 years young, also consider the S&W Shield 9mm, as it's key feature is an easy to rack slide that your wife may appreciate too if she's so inclined.

Having an AD is embarrasing to anyone. Having the sand to post your mistake tells us all that you're an up-front guy who has most likely learned from the experience, and that's what really matters. Carry on.
While trying to unload my Micro 9 in my bedroom I dropped the safety and when I did the hammer dropped and gun went off. Now I have a hole in the mattress and ruined my wife's homemade quilt.
I'm not going to make a judgment on this that you did anything wrong.
I have a friend who put a bullet through his hand with a Micro 9. At first I though he just screwed up but when I talked to him further I found out his side of the story. Had had washed his truck (Long distance driver) and apparently his Micro 9 holster got wet. He pulled it from the truck and it went off. He said when he pulled it out of the dried holster, it took the gun off safety and the hammer fell. This is the second time I have heard of this issue.
This is also why I carry with the hammer down. The firing pin is at least 1/8 inch away from the primer so normally dropping it shouldn't cause it to fire.

·
Registered
474 Posts
While trying to unload my Micro 9 in my bedroom I dropped the safety and when I did the hammer dropped and gun went off. Now I have a hole in the mattress and ruined my wife's homemade quilt.
Discounting the fact that you still had a round in the barrel, I am not going to make a judgment here. I have a friend who is a long haul driver. He had his micro on the seat and apparently it got wet. When it dried he found it and went to pull it out of the holster. He said that because the holster had shrunk, it took the gone off safety as he pulled it out and the hammer fell and put a 9mm through his hand.
This is the second issue I have heard of this.
Personally, I have no problem carrying the gun with the hammer down. The firing pin needs inertia to pop it through the carrier hard enough to penetrate the firing pin. The firing pin sits far away from the primer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
So there twobits, you've removed your post No.1. Can we all assume now that you admit it was completely your fault for the AD? By removing the post it shows you're just plain embarrassed, and you should be. But you DID have the stones to admit it.

Can't blame the gun for the AD, it was YOUR responsibility to check that chamber. About as basic a safety item as you can get. We trust you've learned a valuable lesson here. Don't run away, we've all made mistakes. You at least admitted it.
Does it matter as to whether there was a bullet in the chamber?
I don't believe that was the meaning of the post.
If there was no round in the chamber and the gun did misfire would we have heard about it?
Would Micro owners now be aware of a possible issue with this type of weapon?
I don't know what happened with Twobits or my friend but both have claimed an AD by a release of the safety..
I would like to know if this is something we should be aware of.
I won't belittle him for bringing up the issue.
I say thanks for bringing it up

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don’t think there’s a problem with the micros. My 9 mm and my 380 will not drop the hammer with the safety on pull and release trigger and click safety off. They will however both drop the hammer if I click the safety off with my booger hook still on the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does that mean Micros never need to be sent back?
They are all perfect out of the box?
I guess I should have not sent back my Micro for dropping magazines nor my 5 ", 4", or 3" for FTE or FTL.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I ended up taking gun back to store I bought it from. They gave me my money back and sent it into Kimber. I asked him the other day what ever happened. He said Kimber sent him a new gun. That is all I can tell you. It must of been a real disaster if they just replaced it. They never told him what was wrong with the original one. And I did end up getting a Walther CCP M2 in 9 mm. Yes I know there are issues with them short stroking and loading a new round but not being cocked. Only happens if you are using light rounds or don't pull the slide all the way back when loading it. But by looking at the cocking indicator it will show if that has happened.
Thanks for the update

1 - 8 of 8 Posts