Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Try the same test again with a pencil in the barrel and see if it launches the pencil. If so by pulling the trigger the pin safety is also hanging up. Just because the hammer drops doesn’t mean it’s defeating the pin safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
I unloaded mine and put a laser cartridge in the chamber because A) it won't extract and B) to see if the hammer dropped, that it would advance the firing pin. With the safety on I pulled the trigger and then released the safety...the only hammer movement I saw was the safety flat spot rotating against the hammer. I tried this several times. I your hammer is releasing when you snap off the safety ...it is definitely time to return to Kimber.

Regarding the racking effort of the Micro 9. With the hammer in the cocked position I have found the slide very easy to operate. I've even racked it when the hammer was down and found it a little stiffer but still manageable. I wonder if yours has a heavier spring in it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't know and don't care going back to Mom and then to LGS for trade.
Well I'm glad we have open discussion on this and work towards the possible cause. You started the thread with that intent...or so I thought. Looks as if you'll be dumping your Micro 9 in favor of a Walther...but those of us that do own and like the Micro 9..we would be interested as to what is wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
we would be interested as to what is wrong with the gun.
As the conversation evolved, so did the circumstances leading up to the death of the mattress. There's no way for you or I to be sure without examining the gun, but I'll bet it comes back from Kimber and they will have reamed the chamber and polished the barrel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For your info I did drop mag and rack slide. Just didn't notice that the round in chamber didn't eject. I then pulled trigger to drop hammer and because safety was still on it didn't drop. Then when I took it off safe it went bang. I had just unloaded my Walther and didn't think to clear area on bed so I could tell that the one in chamber didn't eject. Also the slide is so stiff on the Micro I probably short stroked it and that is why it didn't eject.
I think something isn't adding up. Engaging the safety cams the hammer back off the sear, and then drops it onto the sear again when disengaged. The sear will not allow the hammer to fall unless the trigger is pulled. You'd have to have two mechanical failures at this point for that to happen.

The third failure that would enable the gun to fire would occur if the hook shaped ejector that presses the firing pin block also somehow moved forward into position to allow fp movement. The only thing that can move this is the trigger.

The 4th failure necessary for your scenario would be if the extractor somehow didn't engage the round in the chamber to remove it when racking the slide.

Odds are 10,000 to 1 that the trigger was pulled when the safety was switched off and that you didn't check the chamber rather than 4 separate safety features all failing simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
As the conversation evolved, so did the circumstances leading up to the death of the mattress. There's no way for you or I to be sure without examining the gun, but I'll bet it comes back from Kimber and they will have reamed the chamber and polished the barrel.
Muscle Sleeve Gesture Electric blue Movie

🤣

Reactions: Chrisc8111

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wrong wrong wrong. I pulled the trigger to get the hammer to drop, then I realized that the safety was still on and thumbed it down. I didn't have my finger on the trigger. As far as the chamber still having a round in it I think I short stroked the slide and it just rechambered the round. And I will report what Kimber found when I get it back. I am calling them tomorrow to get an rma.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I agree. But gun still malfunctioned. And yes I got it to do the same thing again. Only this time with an empty chamber. After racking the slide I pulled the trigger and then dropped the safety and the hammer dropped. So it is going back it MOM and then to local gun shop as trade bait. I will be getting a Walther CCP M2.
I guess I can't wrap my head around why you "pulled the trigger?" Seems like this hammer dropping thing has come up before but I can't remember who it was. I don't think that member had a discharge like you did. Any body else recall that happening?

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Well if he's dumping the Micro9 because of this issue, it's kind of a waste of time to keep talking about it.

Rusty, that's funny shit right there " death of a mattress."

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've re-read it multiple times; doesn't change a thing.

Before sending the gun down the road, see if you can duplicate what happened (empty gun) as Albert described above. It could also be a weak extractor or incorrect extractor hook profile that's not pulling the case from the chamber. How many rounds have you fired in this weapon?

As far as not having the strength to rack the slide comfortably, perhaps a revolver would be more suitable for your needs. But as you appear to be about 48 years young, also consider the S&W Shield 9mm, as it's key feature is an easy to rack slide that your wife may appreciate too if she's so inclined.

Having an AD is embarrasing to anyone. Having the sand to post your mistake tells us all that you're an up-front guy who has most likely learned from the experience, and that's what really matters. Carry on.
While trying to unload my Micro 9 in my bedroom I dropped the safety and when I did the hammer dropped and gun went off. Now I have a hole in the mattress and ruined my wife's homemade quilt.
I'm not going to make a judgment on this that you did anything wrong.
I have a friend who put a bullet through his hand with a Micro 9. At first I though he just screwed up but when I talked to him further I found out his side of the story. Had had washed his truck (Long distance driver) and apparently his Micro 9 holster got wet. He pulled it from the truck and it went off. He said when he pulled it out of the dried holster, it took the gun off safety and the hammer fell. This is the second time I have heard of this issue.
This is also why I carry with the hammer down. The firing pin is at least 1/8 inch away from the primer so normally dropping it shouldn't cause it to fire.

·
Registered
375 Posts
While trying to unload my Micro 9 in my bedroom I dropped the safety and when I did the hammer dropped and gun went off. Now I have a hole in the mattress and ruined my wife's homemade quilt.
Discounting the fact that you still had a round in the barrel, I am not going to make a judgment here. I have a friend who is a long haul driver. He had his micro on the seat and apparently it got wet. When it dried he found it and went to pull it out of the holster. He said that because the holster had shrunk, it took the gone off safety as he pulled it out and the hammer fell and put a 9mm through his hand.
This is the second issue I have heard of this.
Personally, I have no problem carrying the gun with the hammer down. The firing pin needs inertia to pop it through the carrier hard enough to penetrate the firing pin. The firing pin sits far away from the primer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wrong wrong wrong. I pulled the trigger to get the hammer to drop, then I realized that the safety was still on and thumbed it down. I didn't have my finger on the trigger. As far as the chamber still having a round in it I think I short stroked the slide and it just rechambered the round. And I will report what Kimber found when I get it back. I am calling them tomorrow to get an rma.
Again, without multiple safety features all failing at once, this is impossible. Take the slide off the gun, and with the hammer resting in the down/un-cocked position pull the trigger. Notice the little hook shaped ejector moving back and forth? It corresponds with a plunger in the slide that allows the firing pin to move only when the trigger is held rearward.

Pulling the trigger when the safety is in the safe position does nothing, as the sear has been cammed back off the trigger. Moving the safety to the fire position gives control of the sear back to the trigger.

You say in the post above that you pulled the trigger to get the hammer to drop, realized that the safety was on, and then moved it to the off position. You say the hammer fell at this point, but even if it hadn't then you would have pulled the trigger again as you say above, since your goal was to drop the hammer. This would also have resulted in a negligent discharge, since you admit that you might have short stroked the slide and definitely failed to clear the chamber.

You were trying to pull the trigger in order to drop the hammer, thinking the safety was off, and that the hammer would fall. That's basically you saying that there would have been a dead mattress with or without a mechanical failure of the gun. I suggest you take a firearms safety course before continuing to use and handle them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discounting the fact that you still had a round in the barrel, I am not going to make a judgment here. I have a friend who is a long haul driver. He had his micro on the seat and apparently it got wet. When it dried he found it and went to pull it out of the holster. He said that because the holster had shrunk, it took the gone off safety as he pulled it out and the hammer fell and put a 9mm through his hand.
This is the second issue I have heard of this.
Personally, I have no problem carrying the gun with the hammer down. The firing pin needs inertia to pop it through the carrier hard enough to penetrate the firing pin. The firing pin sits far away from the primer.
We have a member on here whose major complaint with the Micro 9 is that the safety is swept off to easily and to often leaving him uncomfortable in carrying it cocked and locked. I believe he owns both a Micro and a Micro 9. Even with that happening with both of his Micro's often he has yet to mention a ND. I can offer this assessment.. I instruct CPL classes to novice and experienced folk... the two safety violations I consistently see are muzzle and trigger discipline.. with trigger discipline leading the charge. To be honest, the novices are safer than the experienced folks Though my heart goes out to anyone who is injured or has injured someone else due to a ND.. 99 times out of 100 it was due to their own negligence. The first 1/2 hour of my presentation covers gun handling safety which emphasizes to NOT point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy and keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are on your target.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You forgot one that lead to this ND. Always check the chamber for a loaded round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct. That's the FIRST rule of gun safety..ALL GUNS ARE LOADED. I was referring to the two I see violated the most during my course. I have a list of range commands that now include "finger!" and "muzzle!".

21 - 40 of 57 Posts