Kimber Talk Forums banner

Oil the Sear?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Rick in Oregon 
#1 ·
Usually, when you have two metal surfaces sliding against each other there should be lubrication. The last time I cleaned my Micro 9 I applied a small amount of gun oil to the sear surfaces. It sometimes feels a little different now, not in a good way. The user manual does not specify that oil is to be used on the sear. What do you think?

#4 · (Edited)
In all the years I've been "gunny", I've always read that you never oil the sear on any firearm.

Any lube on the sear will congeal over time, collect dust and grit, thereby making proper operation limited at best, possibly dangerous. If for some reason one feels the need to lube the sear, only dry lube such as graphite or one of the various teflon compounds should be used.

HTH

#10 ·
Bill Geisselle recommends lubrication of sears with ALG Go-Juice. Need I say more?
Rusty: Yes, but the Geisselle sears are an entirely different story residing in an AR platform compared to our EDC's stuffed in an IWB rig with lint, body flaking and dust over extended periods of time.

I'm guessing no Kimber is capable of 500+ RPM like an AR could be subjected to either. Different weapons, different applications, different rates of fire, much different lubrication requirements.

I've never lubed the sear of any 1911, nor will I.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.