Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
more specifics on the OP's gun please. on most of my guns, hammer and striker-fired, i blow them out with compressed air to get any excess cleaning solution/lube out before final assembly. the rails and barrel get a light rubbing of grease.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I forgot to mention...

Synthetic grease stays in place on the metal — and IN the metal — longer than old school oil-based lubricants, which wear off more quickly. Choose the right grease lubricant and you will immediately notice that you’re getting a lot more rounds, with a lot less cleaning. As I said before, the difference between oil and grease is grease stays put. It only flows under pressure.

If Kimber says don't use grease, I respectfully disagree. Synthetic grease is used in a lot of guns for good reason. Both civilian and military weapons. It doesn't thicken when cold or evaporate under extreme heat like the old school lubes. But with all due respect to Kimber, don't put axle grease on your Rapide.

Synth grease fills in the rough metal pores to significantly smooth the surface, then provides a very thin top coating or what's called a “hydro-dynamic barrier” of lubricant film that resists corrosion and debris-attachment. A lot has changed since synthetics first appeared as commercial products in the 1960's.

But using grease doesn't mean glop it on like icing on a cake. Thin layer does the job.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I keep it as simple as I can
Clean = Ballistol
FCU = Otis dry lube
Slide Glide = so it doesn’t run off
I have found Ballistol works great for cleaning and it's cheaper than most CLPs. Smells weird but I don't care about that.

'Powder Blaster' and others like it is brake cleaner at three times the price. I stopped using that stuff. It's toxic as hell and absorbs thru the skin.

As they say, "Something is gonna kill ya"... but I rather it not be the stuff I use to clean guns.

• Haha
Reactions: KT007

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I also use the Ballistol for cleaning, used to use plain old Hoppes. Ballistol seems to work just as good. For oil I use a bottle filled with 20 weight hydraulic oil I use in my tractor. If it’s good for that it’ll work in my gun. Never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Talk about overthinking the topic.
A single quart of Mobil1 synthetic will supply you for decades.

Bad Ninja School of economics 101:

Don't waste $10 worth of time on a .10¢ problem.
That’s why I use the Hydraulic oil I already have in a 5 gallon bucket for my tractor. My AR’s love it and so do my 1911’s. Just polished surfaces no real wear on any of them. Stuff works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I don't use it on my guns but Sriracha (a.k.a. Hot Cock Sauce) will put hair on your chest. I especially like it on eggs, pho, and my homemade bi bim bop.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Talk about overthinking the topic.
A single quart of Mobil1 synthetic will supply you for decades.

Bad Ninja School of economics 101:

Don't waste $10 worth of time on a .10¢ problem.
The thing is... It's ten dollar solution to a 100-million-dollar snake oil business. Gun owners spend money like bad golfers. The margins on gun lube products are quadruple what they make on guns and every LGS knows it. God Bless America and capitalism. As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.

So all you newbs out there, line up to pay 25 cents to see the Egress. :) Then buy SuperSlick Gunlube. The preferred lube of Seal Team 6. Your gun will love you for it. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I took my weapon to the range the other day and received a comment about my gun being "over lubricated"....

my questions are as follows:

1. can a firearm be "over lubricated"
2. will it cause " damage"
3. what is the best lubricating oil do you prefer!

thank you
YES It sure can be over lubed. In coldre months, I use a white #130 grease very lightly coated. In hotter months I will very very very lightly coat with gun oil( almost to the point of being dry.
To much of anything is not always good thing.
Excessive built up of dirty, powder reisdue etc. Will it harm the firearm?????? No not really. It will stain leather holsters etc. Th e big question is why would you over lube it to begin with.
Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Manufacturers will over lub a new firearm as they do not know how long it will be before it get sold or used.
The Best Lube Pruely subjective- It is what works for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I took my weapon to the range the other day and received a comment about my gun being "over lubricated"....

my questions are as follows:

1. can a firearm be "over lubricated"
2. will it cause " damage"
3. what is the best lubricating oil do you prefer!

thank you
I've ran Lukas gun oil on all my firearms for years now with great results and run all my 19ll's pretty wet especially the new ones until well after the break in period, I do however go sparingly on striker fired handguns in the striker/firing pin area but keep the rails and guide rod well lubed and I've never had any problems

·
Registered
21 Posts
My question is about the Vickers over lubrication video. The guns are literally dripping oil and I assume the bores are heavily oiled also, (unless video was stopped long enough to run a patch down the bore).

What about excessive lube in the bore?? Since I first began shooting many moons ago I have heard and read in many places where excess lube should be removed from the bore before firing. I've seen this even in new gun owners manuals.

Is that also a myth?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My question is about the Vickers over lubrication video. The guns are literally dripping oil and I assume the bores are heavily oiled also, (unless video was stopped long enough to run a patch down the bore).

What about excessive lube in the bore?? Since I first began shooting many moons ago I have heard and read in many places where excess lube should be removed from the bore before firing. I've seen this even in new gun owners manuals.

Is that also a myth?
That's a trick question.
Yes and no.

If you heavily oil the bore and then run a patch through it, no.

Enough lube in the bore to cause an obstruction?
Yeah that could be an issue, but I struggle to see this happening in the real world.

Slathering a gun with oil and letting it congeal into a varnish-like sticky mess? Possibly.
I've had new guns that wouldn't run right due to sticky oil from the factory, until they were cleaned.

Too much oil in the bore in sub zero temps?
This may case a some problems. Some oils and freezing cold temps don't play well together.

"Thin coat of oil" is the key.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That's a trick question.
Yes and no.

If you heavily oil the bore and then run a patch through it, no.

Enough lube in the bore to cause an obstruction?
Yeah that could be an issue, but I struggle to see this happening in the real world.

Slathering a gun with oil and letting it congeal into a varnish-like sticky mess? Possibly.
I've had new guns that wouldn't run right due to sticky oil from the factory, until they were cleaned.

Too much oil in the bore in sub zero temps?
This may case a some problems. Some oils and freezing cold temps don't play well together.

"Thin coat of oil" is the key.
I never oil the bore. Just use Hoppes 9 bore cleaner on a viper bore snake & run it thru 3 times. Comes out sparkling clean. Never any issue, if I was not going to use gun for awhile then I would run a patch of oil, then upon using I would run a patch just to get the residue out.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I clean the bore, then run an oily patch, clean mop, then a clean patch. Leaves a thin layer that prevents any corrosion from moisture that may build up either from sweat/EDC use, or just from me living in a damn swamp. 😁
We get extremely high humidity here in south GA.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Try not to overthink it. You'll see folks using everything from grease to Rem Oil, and satisfied with performance of all. There's a message in that.

As far as the Vickers vid... don't do stunts and you'll be fine. Run an oily patch down the bore. Don't fret about it. Do make sure the patch and all else you put in the bore is out.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts