Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,618 Posts
Yes Kimber says it's OK to fire +P ammo in their guns just don't make it a steady diet.

Reactions: 2sharp2 and JC45

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Yes, I have always ran a magazine or two of 185gr Speer Gold Dot +P's through my Kimber's just for function testing. They are a handful in the Ultra's.

Starts hurting my old wrists after about 20 rounds of +P.

·
Super Moderator
37,618 Posts
Copied word for word from the FAQ's on Kimbers website.

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.

·
Registered
715 Posts

+P ammo manufactured to SAAMI specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use only. Our pistols are rated to handle +P ammo. However, we do not recommend a steady diet of them, as they are rough on the pistol and will accelerate the wear on the gun and may shorten the life of the recoil spring.
Wonder if this holds true with this ammunition?
https://www.underwoodammo.com/
I love this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
37,618 Posts
I get my .460 Rowland ammo from them. You might try sending them an email asking if their loads meet SAAMI specs.

·
Registered
715 Posts

Wonder if this holds true with this ammunition?
https://www.underwoodammo.com/

I love this stuff.
I get my .460 Rowland ammo from them. You might try sending them an email asking if their loads meet SAAMI specs.
Letter from Underwood Ammo:

Does your loads meet SAAMI specs?
I have 8 Kimber 1911s and (2) Sig P226s and a P229. Calibers range from .45, .40, .357Sig, and 9mm . Would like to carry all.
Darrell

As long as there is a SAAMI spec for the given caliber, we will load to maximum SAAMI specs. I.E - Our 9mm standard pressure and +P loads are SAAMI spec, but there is no SAAMI spec for 9mm +P+ so we have our own standard for that.

But in short, all of our 45ACP standard and +P, 10mm, .40SW, 9mm standard and +P, .357SIG, .380 standard are within SAAMI specs!

Justin

Technician
Underwood Ammo

P: 618-965-2109

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
2 Posts
I contacted Kimber today asking about the springs, I was wondering if I should install a heaver spring than the stock 18.5 lb, and questions about frame bashing using hot loads, I have a 10mm Kimber Eclipse, they said the gun can handle +P ammo, but DO NOT use +P+, my question was that I reload using longshot and bludot powder, I usually load middle of the road as far as charges go, but I have no idea if I am loading +P+ loads by loading the max. So to answer your question about +P ammo, according to Kimber it is safe to shoot

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
WOW Gypsy, really old thread but welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Super Moderator
37,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum gypsy, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where your located.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I contacted Kimber today asking about the springs, I was wondering if I should install a heaver spring than the stock 18.5 lb, and questions about frame bashing using hot loads, I have a 10mm Kimber Eclipse, they said the gun can handle +P ammo, but DO NOT use +P+, my question was that I reload using longshot and bludot powder, I usually load middle of the road as far as charges go, but I have no idea if I am loading +P+ loads by loading the max. So to answer your question about +P ammo, according to Kimber it is safe to shoot
Welcome to KT gypsy. I have no doubt what you were told has been relayed accurately. That being said it's unlikely you were speaking with an engineer. I believe Chuck paraphrased the manuel with the "steady diet" mention. Kimbers are designed to function with +P ammo but you will be putting excess stress on the pistol. A few mags to verify function of carry ammo and I'd suspect there won't be an issue. For range ammo I'm thinking you're asking for trouble. Keep in mind aluminum framed pistols would be more likely than steel to potentially suffer.
As far as using your own production ammo we now get into a sorta sketchy area. I mean no offense just thought it'd be worth mentioning... If you have established data that comes from a known standard pressure chart I think you're fine even at the upper ends of the data. Like the experts all suggest, work your way up to those latitudes and thoroughly examine the cases for signs of excess pressure as well as your pistol for signs of problems. Expect the recoil spring to get fried prematurely. We have several esteemed members who fall into the "guru" category when it comes to ammo production and they can surely pick up the ball to get into all the fun that may come with venturing "off the charts" :eek: I'd suggest NOT doing it, you'll probably live but having both hands is nice right :rolleyes:
...on the bright side there are several options out there for guys who like hot rod shooters. If you dig around here there are a few .460 Rowland threads. Those .460s are way cool :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts