Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hope we never have to find out my cheap $600 AR is as reliable as an $1800 DD, Wilson, etc. Under those dire circumstances.

The kid shooting at me from 400 yards away won't realize I saw him when he was 1000 yards away. He's going to have a bad day. I'd be more concerned about the guy who has been hunting elk for 30 years. But those guys typically wouldn't be stupid enough to be working for the government and shooting at civilians.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I hope we never have to find out my cheap $600 AR is as reliable as an $1800 DD, Wilson, etc. Under those dire circumstances.

The kid shooting at me from 400 yards away won't realize I saw him when he was 1000 yards away. He's going to have a bad day. I'd be more concerned about the guy who has been hunting elk for 30 years. But those guys typically wouldn't be stupid enough to be working for the government and shooting at civilians.
Tell me you have never seen combat without telling me you have never seen combat.

If you have a burned out barrel with over 5k full auto rounds through it, you won't be a threat at 1000 yards, but the kid will.

He will stand over you, take your shit, lean over close and through the sound of your sucking chest wound you will hear him whisper "good enough" in your ear.

It's not about cost.
My 10.3 AR was under $700 to build.
Premium BCG, CHF Chrome lined barrel by FN, and custom FCG. The rest is PSA.
It will survive Armageddon. It ain't as pretty as a Super Duty, but it is just as durable.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
My Smith and Wesson M&P Sport 15 shoots just as good as my buddies DD and the triggers better on the Smith. $565 compared to $1850. Just sayin. There are some great budget AR’s that are very good right out of the box. Watch the Iraqveteran8888 video on the M&P sport Melt down test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It should.
It has a quality CHF Chrome lined barrel, just like the DD.

Like I said, it ain't about cost.

SW AR rifles are under rated IMHO.
Great guns.

Reactions: Albert.Cairns

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yea right. I'm sure some kid with more balls than brains has that fantasy. The reality is I put a round in his skull at 500 yards if he is stalking me. I've shot bighorn sheep at that distance with a 7mm Tikka in very rough terrain. A guy with an AR at that distance doesn't have a prayer unless it is drastically modified. And he is very highly skilled.

I don't bother building ARs anymore. Been there done that. It's fun and interesting the first time or two, but in the end, you have an AR. I've built them from stripped lowers and also milled 80% lowers. As I said, fun and interesting if you haven't done it before but they don't shoot any better than a good quality yet inexpensive off-the-shelf Ruger, Springfield, Sig, S&W, Windham, etc.

I took my flat top S&W M&P that I paid $700 bucks for on a hog hunt in Arkansas and had no problems shooting as well as the other guys who brought their expensive custom ARs. I did have a decent NV scope but so did everybody else.

As it is with all things related to tools, including weapons... a timeless axiom is it's about the carpenter, not the saw. I think the point in all of this is it doesn't pay to buy inferior quality anything. But firearms marketers are cut from the same cloth as golf club marketers. They are very clever in convincing people that if they buy the driver made from rare iridium alloy that came from a meteor they will cut strokes off their game. Guns, ammo, accessories, and upgrades. It's big money.

I'll conclude by saying that most gun owners would rather buy material goods (new stuff, upgrades, etc) than train with what they have. It's easier. Human nature.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
Yea right. I'm sure some kid with more balls than brains has that fantasy. The reality is I put a round in his skull at 500 yards if he is stalking me. I've shot bighorn sheep at that distance with a 7mm Tikka in very rough terrain. A guy with an AR at that distance doesn't have a prayer unless it is drastically modified. And he is very highly skilled.

I don't bother building ARs anymore. Been there done that. It's fun and interesting the first time or two, but in the end, you have an AR. I've built them from stripped lowers and also milled 80% lowers. As I said, fun and interesting if you haven't done it before but they don't shoot any better than a good quality yet inexpensive off-the-shelf Ruger, Springfield, Sig, S&W, Windham, etc.

I took my flat top S&W M&P that I paid $700 bucks for on a hog hunt in Arkansas and had no problems shooting as well as the other guys who brought their expensive custom ARs. I did have a decent NV scope but so did everybody else.

As it is with all things related to tools, including weapons... a timeless axiom is it's about the carpenter, not the saw. I think the point in all of this is it doesn't pay to buy inferior quality anything. But firearms marketers are cut from the same cloth as golf club marketers. They are very clever in convincing people that if they buy the driver made from rare iridium alloy that came from a meteor they will cut strokes off their game. Guns, ammo, accessories, and upgrades. It's big money.

I'll conclude by saying that most gun owners would rather buy material goods (new stuff, upgrades, etc) than train with what they have. It's easier. Human nature.
Relax man.
It was hyperbole.

My eyes suck.
I couldn't afford the glass to see a clear target at that distance. My eyes have a hard time seeing the reticle and target past about 400yards without really good glass.

My point was, don't use a cheap self defense weapon if you can afford a better one.

I'm guessing no one here carries a Hi Point?
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

(No, I still won't shoot the thing.)🤣

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Points are a good example. Butt ugly and made with cheap alloys but they keep on shooting. I shot a Yeet Cannon at a range just to say I did and found it reasonably accurate and heavier than I expected. Would I buy something that cheap? Maybe. If I needed a throwaway gun. $170 bucks all day long. The Hi Point fan club is probably bigger than Kimber's.

I discovered that Hi Points and SCCY are the favorite guns of bikers, drug dealers and street gangs. Because of that if you buy more than one at a time the ATF takes notice. The reason is that they are alleged to be the choice of buyers making straw purchases. I figure that must be true because it was on YouTube.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
Hi Points are a good example. Butt ugly and made with cheap alloys but they keep on shooting. I shot a Yeet Cannon at a range just to say I did and found it reasonably accurate and heavier than I expected. Would I buy something that cheap? Maybe. If I needed a throwaway gun. $170 bucks all day long. The Hi Point fan club is probably bigger than Kimber's.

I discovered that Hi Points and SCCY are the favorite guns of bikers, drug dealers and street gangs. Because of that if you buy more than one at a time the ATF takes notice. The reason is that they are alleged to be the choice of buyers making straw purchases. I figure that must be true because it was on YouTube.
It's a great example.
They have a great reputation for durability.

The Yeet Cannon above sits in my safe.
It cost me $100.

I carry a Kimber.
I am not betting my life on the Yeet.
I do with the Kimber every day.
My family is worth more than $100.

If you want to carry a Yeet, more power to ya.. but I bet you don't and won't.
I'll wager your carry piece is of much better quality.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts