Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the Kimber Micro 9 and I don’t harbor illusions I’m a fabulous marksman but I do consider myself proficient. I now have about 750 rounds though this new pistol. I am consistently low on the target - maybe 4-6” at 21’.

On my new member intro thread, I mentioned this and one friendly member suggested it could be recoil anticipation. I won’t entirely rule that out and at the same time, I can say I’ve have fired thousands of 9mm and .380 rounds from light pocket pistols and kind of consider myself past that (at least I think).

I have TruGlo TFX pro D/N sights and think I like them but even going beyond a typical combat sight picture, I’m still PoI well below PoA. I can get on target by adjusting my PoA above the target and can get acceptable groupings but it just feels wrong to aim like this.

Anyone else experience this? Again, I’m not saying it’s the gun or the sights. I could just be me. I’d like to make this my edc but I’ve got to be comfortable before making the switch.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
To rule out recoil anticipation have a shooting buddy load your mag and insert a dummy round somewhere. Then have him film you while shooting. Even if you consciously know that dummy round is in there, your sub conscious doesn't. If you're dipping it'll show up on the video.

What's your sight picture? Is the center of target on top of the front sight or behind it?

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
I think your issue has been a pretty common trait of the Micro9 lineup and has been documented as such in these pages. I have a trigger chart but have been told it is out of date...so 1970's. But I don't give a chit what they think.
Photograph Black Font Line Auto part

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a lot of rounds through all my guns. It’s a hobby 😀 I always put at least 500 through them before I carry them.

I’ll give the random snap cap a try. I accept it’s a small short range defensive pistol but I’d still like to be confident out to 15 yards. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Again, I’m not complaining about the gun, just looking to get as good as I can be with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a lot of rounds through all my guns. It’s a hobby 😀 I probably shoot an average of 300 rounds a week - anything from .22 to .45. I always put at least 500 through a carry pistol before I carry them.

I’ll give the random snap cap a try. I accept it’s a small short range defensive pistol but I’d still like to be confident out to 15 yards. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Again, I’m not complaining about the gun, just looking to get as good as I can be with it

·
Registered
455 Posts
Let's assume it's the gun/sights.

First, in a carry pistol 4" low is better than 4" high.

I understand you have nightsights, but paint (at least) part of the front sight for a better "precision" sight picture. Or change (lower) the front sight (raises poi).

I have filed off the top metal of tritium sights.

This is where carrying one gun all the time pays off...you learn a sight pic for that gun and it beomes reflex.

Also, I don't believe people practice "point or index shooting" enough. With any pistol, we should be able to (at very least) hit another human in the A Zone wihout sights at 21'.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
I put a lot of rounds through all my guns. It’s a hobby 😀 I probably shoot an average of 300 rounds a week - anything from .22 to .45. I always put at least 500 through a carry pistol before I carry them.

Again, I’m not complaining about the gun, just looking to get as good as I can be with it
Have you had any other shooters fire your Micro9 to check how it does for them??

Reactions: Skier630 and Dadeoo

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with Tinman...The Micro 9 is belly gun and usually no time and no need to to be sight aiming. My brother is a retired federal agent and used to teach at Quantico, VA. Along with weapons training he taught close combat training. He said most agents shooting encounters took place within 3 yards. He sent me this graph below that he found recently. Font Rectangle Electric blue Parallel Brand

Reactions: Skier630

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I agree with Tinman...The Micro 9 is belly gun and usually no time and no need to to be sight aiming. My brother is a retired federal agent and used to teach at Quantico, VA. Along with weapons training he taught close combat training. He said most agents shooting encounters took place within 3 yards. He sent me this graph below that he found recently. View attachment 129613
I agree in part. I think there is a difference in an armed encounter a private citizen may experience than the one a federal agent might have. Federal agents and all LEO's for that matter are migrating towards the disturbance and the aggressors whereas the average citizen is intent on distancing themselves from from such an encounter.

That all being said, IMHO one should be ready for all types of encounters. Statistics prove out that an assailant intent on harming you with a club, brick or bat etc can close a distance of 21' in about the same time that you can draw and fire your weapon. (Point shooting) Conversely, if you already have your weapon drawn, you would be able to get an aimed shot off at 21' (flash shooting). Aimed because you want the shot to hit the target to stop the threat.. also aimed so as to minimize collateral damage of any innocent bystanders.

The point is.. it's better to practice all aspects of an armed encounter to improve your survival chances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I take this perspective... Kimber wouldn't release a gun that wasn't reasonably close. No way am I expecting target gun accuracy or precision from a short barreled 15oz. 9mm. I shot my Micro 9 good enough with decent sized groups and accuracy at 10 yards.

My friend shot it and says, "it shoots low". Um, no, it shoots fine, you shoot low.

Mine shoots better with 124gr versus 115gr. And as others have said, let someone else shoot it.

1250 rounds through mine..oh what a waste. Nope, don't think so.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
...I would go to the range; sit down with some sand bags to steady the pistol; set up a good zeroing target at 15 yards; use 124 grain ball; get a really good sight picture; do a 3 shot group; adjust the front sight as needed; use the file as mentioned above... ...repeat the process as needed... ...and enjoy the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you had any other shooters fire your Micro9 to check how it does for them??
No one else has shot this gun yet other than me. I run to the range when it’s convenient (I work from home and have annual membership). I like to shoot and go at least once a week if not more. I’ll get one of my shooting friends to tag along and see how he does. If he’s feeling patient, I’ll ask him to load a random snap cap to see if I push it.

Agree this is not a target gun and I’m not trying to make it one. I’d hoped it’s more than a belly gun. I don’t buy into the 3x3x3 rule of SD carry. I think if you’re going to carry it, you ought to able to use it without hitting bystanders.

These sights are not adjustable. Using a combat sight picture - front sight over target (not below).

I’d like to believe I could reasonably hit PoA at 15 yards. Practice carry guns at 7-10 yards mostly. I do a lot of point shooting where this is a non-issue. 25 yards or more is getting into the “probably beyond SD justification” range in most cases. That’s not the mission for this pistol.

I’ll say it one more time, I’m not bashing the gun. I like it but I don’t perform as well with it as I would have expected. I don’t like cheating the sight picture because I shoot a lot with a lot of brands and types of pistols and revolvers - don’t need to create bad habits.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
If your shooting style and sight picture serves you well for your other handguns then I wouldn't try to accommodate the Micro with a different style and sight picture. If the Micro's low POI is a concern that you feel is worthy of correcting, then the Micro should be tweaked to accommodate you. Shave down the front sight as needed.

Honestly, I don't fret too much over these things with pocket guns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts