Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change out my off duty carry piece. Currently carry a Glock single stack 9mm. I shot a coworkers P365 and the grip/frame just fits in my hand a whole lot better, which gives me a more natural point of aim. I naturally shoot this gun better than the glock b/c I have to worry less about grip and trigger manipulation when keeping the sights aligned. Sig has an LE discount and Kimber does not. Does anyone have an experience with the two that can say which one is a better shooter and more reliable? I'm aware of the recall on the R7, but Sig also had a recall some years back. Just wondering what everyone thinks. The size and capacity of both is almost equal and superior to what I am carrying now.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
They are both great small 9's. I carried a Glock 43 and P365 in my regular EDC rotation for a while. Happy with both. Switched to a Hellcat with the optic. Love it. More recently I've started carrying the Mako now and then.

The overall feel and balance of the Mako vs. P365 is quite different. Which is better? Hard to say. They are both excellent. It comes down to personal preference. Shoot 'em both and decide which you like better.

One thing you might consider is the holster choices for the Sig are far greater. Also, the Sig aftermarket is superior if you are the accessorizing type. I tend to leave my EDC pistols alone - as the designers, factory and God intended :) . Bone stock. My target pistols and long guns... quite the opposite.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
To answer your question my pick would be Sig. BUT my real life choice and recommendation would be any model 1911 Ultra Kimber in 9mm...

·
Registered
860 Posts
To answer your question my pick would be Sig. BUT my real life choice and recommendation would be any model 1911 Ultra Kimber in 9mm...
My Sig 365xl feels better in my hand than the makos that I’ve handled. And I shoot it well. Never shot a mako though! There are several folks on here that have considerable experience with the makos and love em! Watch for their replies!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Shot them both and the Hellcat. Own the Hellcat and the Mako. The Mako is the choice for me. 13+1 (prefer the 13 round mag). Better trigger than the other two and a one hole gun at 10 yards. Can’t ask much more from a compact poly pistol. Retired my G26 and only use the Hellcat now for summer pocket carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I'm looking to change out my off duty carry piece. Currently carry a Glock single stack 9mm. I shot a coworkers P365 and the grip/frame just fits in my hand a whole lot better, which gives me a more natural point of aim. I naturally shoot this gun better than the glock b/c I have to worry less about grip and trigger manipulation when keeping the sights aligned. Sig has an LE discount and Kimber does not. Does anyone have an experience with the two that can say which one is a better shooter and more reliable? I'm aware of the recall on the R7, but Sig also had a recall some years back. Just wondering what everyone thinks. The size and capacity of both is almost equal and superior to what I am carrying now.
My wife has a Mako, and while we really haven't had it long enough to determine reliability, we have shot about 400 flawless rounds through it.
It has been dead nuts reliable with even 147g subsonic ammo that won't cycle in half my 9mms.
The Mako eats it without a problem.
The Mako is surprisingly accurate. With an optic, even more so.
I don't own a Sig.

That said, I agree with 2sharp2.
I think my Ultra is a far better CCW gun than either of those choices.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I love my Ultras more than any other 1911 I own. But a better CCW gun I can’t agree with. Depends on what situation you might fine yourself in. Rural country living the Ultra can’t be beat. Inner City work or living The high Cap poly wonder 9’s are the ticket. Mako, Glock 19, Sig 365, Hellcat. Just to name a few. Chances are you’ll have more than one perp to deal with.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I love my Ultras more than any other 1911 I own. But a better CCW gun I can’t agree with. Depends on what situation you might fine yourself in. Rural country living the Ultra can’t be beat. Inner City work or living The high Cap poly wonder 9’s are the ticket. Mako, Glock 19, Sig 365, Hellcat. Just to name a few. Chances are you’ll have more than one perp to deal with.

Just matching the tool to the job! That’s why we need a tool box full of tools!😎

·
Banned
3,384 Posts

My Ultra is .45acp, and I carry two spare mags.
I shoot 1911s better and faster than I shoot polymer guns.
There is no replacement for displacement.

I am seriously considering a 2011 BUL SAS commander in .45 though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Sig P229 in .40. It didn't fit my smallish hands well and I didn't shoot very well with it either. I traded that for a Springfield 1911, Loaded. I shoot that a ton better, and qualify with it for my carry permit no problem. I then wanted a smaller pistol to actually carry and I bought a Ruger LC9s Pro. I like the gun and shoot it well, but I have to fumble with it a bit to get a proper grip. I just picked up my Mako a few weeks ago, and I love it. It fits my hands great and the red dot makes shooting accurately easier for me. I have about 500 rounds thry it so far. Steel case, hollow points, fmj, +P, brass, lead ball, polymer coated bullets and different grains. Ate it all and shot them all accurately too. Holster options are increasing now too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I must say I held a Mako and didn't care for it...grip didn't feel right.. didn't care for the trigger. Owned a P365 and couldn't get comfortable with it..(I own a P365XL that I really like) so I sold it..and I held a CSX and liked it so much that I
bought it. It just pushes so all the buttons on what I like in a pistol.. from its ambi controls that are trim and close to the frame and don't get in the way when shooting (hint..hint Kimber).. it's multiple grip panels giving options for a better fit in the hand.. the raised nub on the rear of the slide serrations making it easy for arthritic hands to rack.. the reversible mag release that allows me to drop the mag with my strong hand index finger because my stubby thumbs can't reach the release comfortably... a trigger that has eclipsed my M9 Rapide's for ease of pull and comfort.

I love my M9 Rapide and will alternate it with my CSX for deeper concealment. My Stainless Ultra gets the nod when I can wear a suitable cover garment.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spent a lot of time researching and shooting the pistols I wanted for my deep conceal EDC. That included the Sig P365 and P365xl, the Hellcat, Shield Plus, and Mako. Never considered the Glocks cause every one that I’ve ever held/shot just wasn’t comfortable in my hand. In terms of size, capacity, weight, and all the other technical specs, all are very comparable. At the end of it all, though, I found that the P365xl shot best and felt best in my hand. And I’ve since added the Wilson Combat grip module, which makes it even more stellar.

That said, every one of us is a different critter and what feels good, works good for one might be crap for another.

Just my two cents worth

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a Mako and a 365x. out of the box, the Mako trigger is better. the Sig needs a couple of spring upgrades to get to the level of the Mako trigger. both guns feel good in my hands and they are close to the same size. the x-ray sights on my 365x are better than the stock Mako sights. i like and carry both. i just posted a thread with a comparison between the Mako, 365x and CZ p10S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is my two cents, I have a Sig 365x, Sig 365XL, a Mako R7, and a hellcat RDP. I shoot the Kimber Better, I don't know why, they both have great triggers and great sites. The Sig feels better in my hand, but I shoot the Mako better. The best thing you can do is go to a Dealer with a range and see if you can shoot them both and see which one you actually shoot better. To me the Hellcat feels a lot like the Sig 365, I have not shot the Hellcat yet, just received it yesterday. But of the two you asked for. Kimber Mako R7 for me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I almost bought Mako 7 but the deal didn't go through .. "so happy"
Ended up with P365, it's like AR15 in riffles . there are so many way to upgrade..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look it’s a hard decision. I bought the Mako and loved it so much I bought another. It’s is ridiculously accurate and the trigger is perfect. But I get the after market issues. It’s very disappointing! For that reason I bought a P365x and add the magguts springs to my mags and bought a light. The 365 is easier to conceal and holds 14+1 which is crazy for its size. The Mako’s are used as a permanent truck gun and at home for my wife when I’m not around. Good luck 👍🏻
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Space Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I almost bought Mako 7 but the deal didn't go through .. "so happy"
Ended up with P365, it's like AR15 in riffles . there are so many way to upgrade..
Changed it to a Wilson?
Just got done upgrading my Spectre.
14+1 using existing flat mags with a Mag Guts upgrade. Didn’t want anything sticking out further. NDZ Gold backplate and takedown pin…

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts