Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First range visit with my new Ultra Raptor 45 Purchased from Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo ( No Tax, No shipping, $1219 delivered)
Disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the firearm.
Shot 150 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 230 grain ball ammo.
Had approx 10 ftf’s and a few failure to return to battery. Not to fear though! I can attribute nearly every failure to either the magazine, or operator error. I only had the stock magazine, and was easily able to see the bullet nose stuck on the feed ramp. As far as the failure to return to battery, I have very large hands and my left thumb was at times slightly moving the safety during recoil. I was adjusting my grip and sometimes was also releasing the mag. Hard to break old habits.
Was not at all disappointed.
Thoroughly cleaned and lubed again.
Second range visit,
Purchased a Kimber Tac mag, left stock mag at home.
Practiced with adjusted grip and paid close attention to grip during visit.
0 ftf’s and 0 failure to return to battery’s through 200 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 230 grain ball ammo, and full box of Wilson Combat A45-200 XTP-C.
I found the recoil to be not as bad as expected and very controllable. No wrist soreness at all.
Incredibly accurate with the best of my abilities.
The grips are very comfortable even in my mitts. Just need more reps with adjusted grip position.
Have since purchased 2 more Tac mags.
Special thanks to SMGA for the quick delivery and to 46QJI for the tip on where to find a great deal!

· Registered
1,358 Posts
First range visit with my new Ultra Raptor 45 Purchased from Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo ( No Tax, No shipping, $1219 delivered)
Had approx 10 ftf’s and a few failure to return to battery. Not to fear though! I can attribute nearly every failure to either the magazine, or operator error. I only had the stock magazine, and was easily able to see the bullet nose stuck on the feed ramp. As far as the failure to return to battery, I have very large hands and my left thumb was at times slightly moving the safety during recoil. I was adjusting my grip and sometimes was also releasing the mag. Hard to break old habits.
Second range visit,
0 ftf’s and 0 failure to return to battery’s through 200 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 230 grain ball ammo, and full box of Wilson Combat A45-200 XTP-C.
I found the recoil to be not as bad as expected and very controllable. No wrist soreness at all.
The grips are very comfortable even in my mitts. Just need more reps with adjusted grip position.
Special thanks to SMGA for the quick delivery and to 46QJI for the tip on where to find a great deal!
Kind of story I like to hear! Ultras “are” amazing, and they just get better as the round count goes up!!! Enjoy!!!

· Registered
16,341 Posts
Good to hear that range report.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
As stockmaker said, that's the kind of story we like to hear!
Glad your Ultra Raptor is running like it should. I've got two Ultra's in .45 and they're in no danger of ever going down the road. Kimber makes what is most likely the best 3" 1911 under fifteen hundred out there.

Feel free to post some pics of your pistol and range outings. We're quite 'visually oriented' here. ;)

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Second range visit,
Get yourself Wilson Combat mags.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would toss that S&B ammo aside.
It is unreliable and inconsistent at best.
I won't shoot any pistol ammo from them.
I wouldn't blame the gun until you deduce whether it's the ammo or not.
Had Zero problems during second range visit. Have used S&B ammo often in my Master Carry Pro.
No problems ever. Blamed the magazine and my large hands, not the gun.

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Had Zero problems during second range visit. Have used S&B ammo often in my Master Carry Pro.
No problems ever. Blamed the magazine and my large hands, not the gun.
I have just seen a ton of issues with SB pistol ammo.
Light loads that cause malfunctions, hard primers, inconsistent loads, etc.
I haven't personally seen problems with their rifle ammo (303,etc), but I have seen enough issues with their 10mm and .45 that I won't buy their pistol ammo.

· Registered
22 Posts
The Wilson Combat mags (47D) have been hit or miss for me in my various Kimbers. I finally settled on Chip McCormick RPM's, Checkmate, or Ed Brown mags and have not had any more issues. YMMV

· Registered
3 Posts
My Ultra likes the Kimber mags and runs them without problem … at least post break-in.

Also likes the 7 rounders I bought from Springfield a decade ago for my RO.

Oddly, it still chokes on the 2nd to last round w/ compact Wilson mags. It likes the 47D’s just fine, but isn’t fond of their compact offerings.

*shrug

Each firearm is unique.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts