Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After cleaning my ejector firing pin etc. Had the worst day ever with my Kimber CUC2. But it is not the Kimber. I hope. First magazine (used mag release to load all first rounds with no problems) 2nd round ftf round never left the magazine. 2nd magazine 2nd rnd same thing. Im beginning to think I messed something up. 3rd magazine 4th round same thing. 5th magazine 3rd round same thing. Last round of this box of 50 Remington UMC 230 grain fmj stove piped. Then I ran 100 rounds of American Eagle 230 grain fmj flawlessly. Im thinking it don't like that ammo. Never shot it before in my Kimber won't buy it again for that caliber.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Sounds like you need to run 200 or 300 rounds of American Eagle through it, non-stop, just to settle your mind that it's not the gun.

Reactions: Lineman and glokrok

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Oh Yeah........!!!!

It definitely sounds like your pistol is not a fan of Remington UMC FMJ ammo!!! Your pistol seems to have a preference for the Federal American Eagle brand of hardball.

Okay, Dr. Lineman is in!! Take two aspirins and don't even think about calling me in the morning.( I don't get up 'til after noon!!) Forget the first 50 rounds of yesterday, like it never happened. Follow that up with a prescription for 8 boxes of American Eagle 230 grain FMJ hardball. Shoot the Federal ammo liberally. In other words: LET THE EAGLES FLY!!!!!You and your pistol will be fine in not time a all!!!:D:D:D:D BTW, My Pro Carry II likes American Eagle, also. It is fond of PMC also.

Now, about my bill...............!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: This may hurt a little bit!!!!:D:D:D

Reactions: glokrok

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In my Pro Carry II I have used Federal American Eagle 230 gr FMJ almost exclusively. One FTF in 2000 rounds says my gun likes that ammo. I did shoot a box of Fed Am Eagle HP as a test recently and it ran fine.

I would...hell.... Kimber DOES recommend using ball ammo during break in. And I'm pretty sure they know more than I do. Not much more....but more. Ok. A lot more.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
The guys have given you some sound advice. Read your owners manual if you haven't already done it and break your Ultra in per Kimber's recommendations, and it will run like a champ.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you need to run 200 or 300 rounds of American Eagle through it, non-stop, just to settle your mind that it's not the gun.
Ok just got back from shooting my last 100 box of ametican eagle and my last 17 rounds of Blazer aluminum case. Flawless! I thought I had more. It just seems to disappear.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
Ok just got back from shooting my last 100 box of ametican eagle and my last 17 rounds of Blazer aluminum case. Flawless! I thought I had more. It just seems to disappear.
Ammo tends to do that when you're having a good day at the range.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Don't ask why, just enjoy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another hundred flawless rounds this time "white box" without cleaning from the last time. Had planned on not cleaning again but couldn't stand it. Had to clean it.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts

Not good but so much better than when I started.
As long as you see progress with each range session then all is good.

Just continue to practice practice and more practice and you will see better results...keep up the good work Glokrok..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I haven't drawn from a holster and "fast" is very relative. Don't know what the distance is either....so good shooting or bad, I couldn't say....I just know that even a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work! So, I'll say good shooting glokrok!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drew and unloaded the magazine not as fast as I could but pretty fast. I had just got back in town Saturday evening and I wanted to get a hundred rounds in and the range was about to closein 45min so I finished and swept up in 35min. I accidentally post the partial pic first thinking it was the whole target. 7yrds is the distance. I know there are people better at 50yrds but I aint there yet. Still have a lot of fun. I was an avid golfer but I have bad knees and hips. I find this challenging.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I drew and unloaded the magazine not as fast as I could but pretty fast. I had just got back in town Saturday evening and I wanted to get a hundred rounds in and the range was about to closein 45min so I finished and swept up in 35min. I accidentally post the partial pic first thinking it was the whole target. 7yrds is the distance. I know there are people better at 50yrds but I aint there yet. Still have a lot of fun. I was an avid golfer but I have bad knees and hips. I find this challenging.
You will get there Glokrok..
We practice weekly at 10 -20 yards and at 20 we are hitting a 4 in circle most the time.
I would believe that most self defense happenings are in closer proximity, but it's nice to know we can hit a "stationary" target at 60 ft if we had to.
Keep up the practice...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That 4" circle at 20yrds amazes me. I may could hit it a few times out of a 50 box aiming high left but for a nice group uhhh...nope. Now we are talking standing with no rest.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
That 4" circle at 20yrds amazes me. I may could hit it a few times out of a 50 box aiming high left but for a nice group uhhh...nope. Now we are talking standing with no rest.
I never have used a rest with a pistol but have with an AR...
I thought @ 20 yards I was getting pretty "sure" of myself until 2 older gentlemen next to me at the range put their target @ 40yds and both were grouping their shots in a half dollar circle..
Needless to say, I was humbled rather quickly and it just made me want to get better and that takes more practice...

·
Registered
643 Posts

Not good but so much better than when I started. This is drawing from holster cocked and locked and shooting fast for the most part.
Good shooting Glokrok. Practice makes perfect and it's a hell of a lot of fun!!

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
2 older gentlemen next to me at the range put their target @ 40yds and both were grouping their shots in a half dollar circle...
At 40 yards, my front sight covers about 25% of the target and moves around like I'm standing on the deck of a boat. So, when I hear about a 1-inch group at 40 yards, that sounds utterly impossible. I know it can be done, I've seen it, but that is way beyond my meager skill.

I'll say "I'm making progress," or that "I'm happy with how I shot today" but you won't hear me say I'm a good shooter. I know enough to know better. I also don't care, because I know any skill has to be developed and I just enjoy shooting regardless of where I stand skill-wise compared to others.

I've also never had anyone here say "you suck!" or even "yeah, you shoot about average for a beginner." Everyone here is encouraging which is the way it should be. My first goal is to get all shots within the first two rings from 7 yards, which on the targets I shoot is an area about 1-1/2 times the size of a smart phone. I've come pretty close. After that, I'll aim to get all shots within the smallest ring. At that point I can die happy. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts