Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Father's Day gift to myself was to head to the range and shoot 100 more break-in rounds with the Royal. 400 down range now. It shot flawlessly. I shot first at 21 feet as usual and had a pretty good group. Shooting fairly slow. Then I moved the target back to what I assume is 50 feet (there are no markings) and my accuracy took a nosedive. I stayed fairly centered from side-to-side, but vertically there is a pretty big spread. Oh well. I never practice from that far. Perhaps I should, to improve at longer distances. I'll post the second target too.

Attachments

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Geeze looks great to me. was that at 21 or 50 or both?
either way I don't see anything wrong..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the 50-foot target. Pretty bad. Anyway, I used the sling-shot method every time and she ran perfectly.

The rest of my Father's Day turned shitty though. Our electricity went crazy and an old electrical box outside has to be done-away with. Trench-digging will be needed and we are waiting to see if the electric company will pay part of it. Looks like a couple grand. :confused: The hot water and air conditioning is off. The monster threw a fit because his video game progress didn't save. It was World War III meets the end of his world. Yeah.

In the electrical box was a snake with a mouse in his mouth. He is now homeless but will work for food. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Wow - nice shootin'!! I'd be very happy with that, myself!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first target was only 21 feet. Close and I shot pretty slow. What I like is that there are no strays that are way off. The one at 1:00 is the worst but that is only about 2-1/2 inches off center. Not great but not too bad.

They have gone to a different style of target that does not have the small ring I was trying to get all shots into.

The 50-foot distance needs work.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The first target was only 21 feet. Close and I shot pretty slow. What I like is that there are no strays that are way off. The one at 1:00 is the worst but that is only about 2-1/2 inches off center. Not great but not too bad.

They have gone to a different style of target that does not have the small ring I was trying to get all shots into.

The 50-foot distance needs work.
How big is that center ring?

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
The first target looks good and considering you're not used to shooting at longer distances the second one also looks good.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
Just out of curiosity. What's the purpose for practicing at 50 feet?

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I don't constantly practice at 50' but I do it often enough so I know what my capability is if I ever had to make a shot like that. Actually I usually run a B27 all the way down to 25 yards (75'). I can't get tight groups but I can put a serious hurt on the target.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
We take 3 targets with us on each range session.
We start at the 7 yard mark to warm up on target #1.
Move it down a bit to 12 yards on target#2.
Target #3 at 16 yards is just to see "if" we could hit at that distance "if" we had to do it...
P.S....
At that distance,the bad guy better weigh 500 lbs and be standing in a still position for it do any good...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question. I suppose just to see what I can do. I hear sometimes people talking about shooting 3-inch groups at 25 yards, or something to that effect, and it sounds nearly impossible. I would say it is better to know what you can do than not to know. And, no matter how inaccurate you may be at any distance, practicing can probably improve your accuracy.

The indoor range I go to is fairly dark overall but with lights at 21 feet and at (I think) 50 feet. When I have tried the 50-foot distance it is not as satisfying....it is hard to see the target and the pattern is obviously a lot larger, so I don't do it much.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
Thanks. As I said, just curious. Day off tomorrow and going to the range. Outdoors and steel plates. may try some longer shots!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm still kind of amazed at how another 30 feet can make so much difference in loss of accuracy.
Geometry! We issue G-17s. I did the math to show how much attention to the sights have to applied throughout the press. If the gun was perfectly still (although we all have a natural wobble-some more than others) .035" of the front sight movement from perfect alignment is 5" at 25 yards with the G-17 sight radius. That 50 footer ain't bad. It just takes practice to shoot at distance.
And you said you never do that.

We do 65 yards routinely and 100 yards occasionally. All steel for instant feedback. Keeps you honest!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wow, this surprises me. That's all I do is shoot at 75' and 50'. I just assumed everyone did that as well LOL.
Yes, it does take practice. Best advise I can offer through experience is complete trigger finger isolation, especially with a 1911 trigger. There's a sweet spot on the center or just ahead of it on your first pad; you just need to find it. It will be the spot that will not drag on the trigger guard whatsoever. I've found that that drag will require more pressure to press the trigger hence creating hand movement to do so. Those will be your "floaters" :D
BTW at 25 yards I'm leveling at the 7 ring. At 15 yards I'm not letting the sights drift upward of the bullseye; just slightly below it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, this surprises me. That's all I do is shoot at 75' and 50'. I just assumed everyone did that as well LOL.
Yes, it does take practice. Best advise I can offer through experience is complete trigger finger isolation, especially with a 1911 trigger. There's a sweet spot on the center or just ahead of it on your first pad; you just need to find it. It will be the spot that will not drag on the trigger guard whatsoever. I've found that that drag will require more pressure to press the trigger hence creating hand movement to do so. Those will be your "floaters" :D
BTW at 25 yards I'm leveling at the 7 ring. At 15 yards I'm not letting the sights drift upward of the bullseye; just slightly below it.
Yeah, but you're Ultraman. You have much better vision, right?

Reactions: Ultraman

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I can see things at 25 yards. But I have to choose between seeing that or seeing my sights. Both is not an option.

If I can hit a standard silhouette target at all, from 25 yards, I'd be pretty happy.

Reactions: PorscheVille
1 - 20 of 26 Posts