Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the slightly problematic Rapide Scorpius back today! A literal 10 day turnaround including shipping and repairs. Here is what was listed as being repaired:
  • Replaced Recoil Spring
  • Adjusted Extractor
  • Polished Feed Ramp
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

Another thing that was changed was the Recoil Spring Plug although that was not mentioned in the paperwork. It originally had a hollow GI style plug and now it has a solid black one. Not sure if that mattered because of the recoil spring replacement but it was changed.
Wood Auto part Font Cylinder Metal

I took it out and shot 75 rounds through it today. I believe the problems have been fixed! Although, I did have two double feed issues that only happened with a Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazine with ETM base pad. All my KimPro Tac-Mags worked flawlessly and an old school Colt 1911 mag did the job as well. I tested each with 3 different hollow points (230gr Fiocchi, Ammo Inc and Federal HST) plus plenty of standard Speer Lawman 230gr FMJs. The WC magazine double fed on a Fiocchi HP and a 230gr FMJ. I guess it just didn't like that magazine or follower design?
Revolver Trigger Air gun Bumper Gadget

Either way, every other magazine was flawless and there were no FTF issues at all which is what it was sent back for to begin with. I can say that the speed of the repairs and return was fantastic and it certainly seems like Kimber took care of my issues. I am feeling much better about my purchase now. Figured I would report back to let everyone know how it went. And no, when I talked to Kimber, I never mentioned my YT persona or anything of that nature. I prefer an organic interaction to base my opinion off of.
Thanks for all your help with this!
-MP

Registered
I got the slightly problematic Rapide Scorpius back today! A literal 10 day turnaround including shipping and repairs. Here is what was listed as being repaired:
  • Replaced Recoil Spring
  • Adjusted Extractor
  • Polished Feed Ramp
View attachment 131811
Another thing that was changed was the Recoil Spring Plug although that was not mentioned in the paperwork. It originally had a hollow GI style plug and now it has a solid black one. Not sure if that mattered because of the recoil spring replacement but it was changed.
View attachment 131812

I took it out and shot 75 rounds through it today. I believe the problems have been fixed! Although, I did have two double feed issues that only happened with a Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazine with ETM base pad. All my KimPro Tac-Mags worked flawlessly and an old school Colt 1911 mag did the job as well. I tested each with 3 different hollow points (230gr Fiocchi, Ammo Inc and Federal HST) plus plenty of standard Speer Lawman 230gr FMJs. The WC magazine double fed on a Fiocchi HP and a 230gr FMJ. I guess it just didn't like that magazine or follower design?
View attachment 131813

Either way, every other magazine was flawless and there were no FTF issues at all which is what it was sent back for to begin with. I can say that the speed of the repairs and return was fantastic and it certainly seems like Kimber took care of my issues. I am feeling much better about my purchase now. Figured I would report back to let everyone know how it went. And no, when I talked to Kimber, I never mentioned my YT persona or anything of that nature. I prefer an organic interaction to base my opinion off of.
Thanks for all your help with this!
-MP
Good to hear.馃憤
Kimber has legendary customer service.
10 days has been about the norm for most members here who have sent a gun in.

Registered
Although, I did have two double feed issues that only happened with a Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazine with ETM base pad. I guess it just didn't like that magazine or follower design?
View attachment 131813
The picture you posted shows a fired case above an unfired cartridge. What happened was the extractor pulled the fired case out of the chamber, the fired case was not ejected then the slide came forward and began stripping the next round out of the magazine. The fired case impacted the barrel hood and everything stopped.

This is not a magazine problem. It could be that the slide did not come back far enough to allow the fired case to impact the ejector. This could be due to weak ammo or too strong of a recoil spring or a couple of other things. Or it could be that the extractor is not properly fit.

You could do a simple function check to see if the extractor is at fault. This is simple, quick, and definitive.

Step 1 - fill a magazine with cartridges
Step 2 - insert the magazine into the pistol
Step 3 - load a round into the chamber
Step 4 - remove the magazine from the pistol
Step 5 - fire the loaded round while observing the case as it ejects

Repeat Steps 1 through 5 until all the cartridges in the magazine are expended.

If any of the ejected cases drop through the magazine well, this is proof that the extractor needs serious attention. If any of the ejected cases fly off in different directions, the extractor needs less serious attention. Either way the extractor needs attention. In your case "attention" is defined as adding more tension.

What this test does is eliminate the magazine as a factor influencing ejection. Often times a less than optimally fit extractor will lose control of a fired case and it's the sudden upward movement of the magazine follower that pushes the fired case out of the ejection port instead of the ejector.

For more information than you ever wanted to know about fitting an extractor correctly see this POST. There is more relevant information above that post in that same thread.

---

If the extractor test shows nothing amiss, you can drop a 14lb or 16lb Wolff recoil spring in the pistol and using the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazine I'd run some rounds through it to see if the problem persists.

Registered
I suggest following Steve's expert advice...

Registered
i
The picture you posted shows a fired case above an unfired cartridge. What happened was the extractor pulled the fired case out of the chamber, the fired case was not ejected then the slide came forward and began stripping the next round out of the magazine. The fired case impacted the barrel hood and everything stopped.

This is not a magazine problem. It could be that the slide did not come back far enough to allow the fired case to impact the ejector. This could be due to weak ammo or too strong of a recoil spring or a couple of other things. Or it could be that the extractor is not properly fit.

You could also do a simple function check to see if the extractor is at fault. This is simple, quick, and definitive.

If any of the ejected cases drop through the magazine well, this is proof that the extractor needs serious attention. If any of the ejected cases fly off in different directions, the extractor needs less serious attention. Either way the extractor needs attention. In your case "attention" is defined as adding more tension.

What this test does is eliminate the magazine as a factor influencing ejection. Often times a less than optimally fit extractor will lose control of a fired case and it's the sudden upward movement of the magazine follower that pushes the fired case out of the ejection port instead of the ejector.

For more information than you ever wanted to know about fitting an extractor correctly see this POST. There is more relevant information above that post in that same thread.

---

If the extractor test shows nothing amiss, you can drop a 14lb or 16lb Wolff recoil spring in the pistol and using the Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazine I'd run some rounds through it to see if the problem persists.
14lbs or 16lbs spring????? crap I use a 20lbs spring sometimes 22lbs...... i also only shoot full power

Registered
14lbs or 16lbs spring????? crap I use a 20lbs spring sometimes 22lbs...... i also only shoot full power
The pistol will run fine and not be damaged using 14 or 16lb recoil springs as long as standard pressure ammo is being used. However, I would step up to an 18 or 18陆 lb recoil spring if the pistol is being fed a steady diet of +P ammo.

FWIW, I fit flat bottom firing pin stops to all .45 1911s I work on. They are much more effective at slowing the rearward slide velocity than recoil springs. This allows me to run lighter than factory standard recoil springs in 5" 1911s without a worry in the world as long as I'm using my reloads and standard pressure factory ammo.

The disadvantage of trying to control rearward slide velocity with a recoil spring is that the heavier the recoil spring, the faster the slide will fly forward. The disadvantage of the slide moving forward faster than is necessary to strip the next round out of the mag and pushing the barrel into battery is that it gives the magazine spring less time to push the stack of rounds up into contact with the feed lips. If the magazine spring isn't strong enough to accomplish its mission before the slide's disconnector/stripper rail gets to the magazine, feeding malfunctions will occur e.g. bolt-over-base malfs.

Also, the heavier the recoil spring, the more muzzle dip will occur as the pistol goes back into battery as well as more wear and tear occurring on the barrel feet, slide stop, frame slide stop holes, etc.

Another more effective way than using the recoil spring to slow down the slide is by using a heavier mainspring. 10mm 1911s need flat bottom firing pin stops, 25/26lb mainsprings, and 20/22lb recoil springs to tame hot loads.

Having said all that let me point out that it's all a balancing act. Finding the combination of springs, parts, and ammo that suits you best is up to you and can only be discovered through trial and error one pistol at a time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You could do a simple function check to see if the extractor is at fault. This is simple, quick, and definitive.

---

Steve I am going to try this the next time I take the Rapide out and I will report back with some notes!
Thanks for the info!
MP

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

---

So I did this test and everything worked correctly. I also ran more rounds through the Kimber magazines without any issue. It is still only the WC magazine that's causing the problem. I believe it's the follower as it is one of their 50 series followers that has full cartridge support. Just seems like maybe it's too much for the gun? Either way, I haven't had a single malfunction otherwise since it returned from the factory which I am happy about.
One other question,
I noticed that since it has returned, the magazine release has become pretty stiff. Any reason that would have changed?
Thanks!

MP

Registered
So I did this test and everything worked correctly.
You're saying the pistol passed the extractor test, right?

It is still only the WC magazine that's causing the problem. I believe it's the follower . . .
Did the malfunction occur no matter how many rounds were in the mag? The reason I ask is that however unlikely it sounds, it's possible that the WC mag spring is really strong and is pushing the stack of rounds upward with enough force that the increased friction between the top round and the stripper/disconnector rail is slowing the rearward velocity enough to prevent the empty case from striking the ejector hard enough to get it to eject from the pistol.

Logically, the fewer rounds in the mag, the less force will be exerted on the stripper/disconnector rail. If you have a 14 or 16lb recoil spring laying around, I'd put it in the pistol and run over to the range for a quick test firing using only the WC mag. Before you run to the range check the WC feed lips for burrs.

If the pistol doesn't pass this test, sell the WC mag to someone or talk to WC about it and continue using Kimber/Checkmate mags.

I noticed that since it has returned, the magazine release has become pretty stiff. Any reason that would have changed?
Gunk inside the mag catch? Complete disassembly and thorough cleaning to include running Q-tips all the way to the bottom of the spring hole is a good place to start.

Registered
FWIW, I fit flat bottom firing pin stops to all .45 1911s I work on. They are much more effective at slowing the rearward slide velocity than recoil springs. This allows me to run lighter than factory standard recoil springs in 5" 1911s without a worry in the world as long as I'm using my reloads and standard pressure factory ammo.

Having said all that let me point out that it's all a balancing act. Finding the combination of springs, parts, and ammo that suits you best is up to you and can only be discovered through trial and error one pistol at a time.
You posted this in another forum I believe . Tried it and a slightly heavier main (hammer) spring it made a world of difference. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're saying the pistol passed the extractor test, right?

Did the malfunction occur no matter how many rounds were in the mag? The reason I ask is that however unlikely it sounds, it's possible that the WC mag spring is really strong and is pushing the stack of rounds upward with enough force that the increased friction between the top round and the stripper/disconnector rail is slowing the rearward velocity enough to prevent the empty case from striking the ejector hard enough to get it to eject from the pistol.

Logically, the fewer rounds in the mag, the less force will be exerted on the stripper/disconnector rail. If you have a 14 or 16lb recoil spring laying around, I'd put it in the pistol and run over to the range for a quick test firing using only the WC mag. Before you run to the range check the WC feed lips for burrs.

If the pistol doesn't pass this test, sell the WC mag to someone or talk to WC about it and continue using Kimber/Checkmate mags.

Gunk inside the mag catch? Complete disassembly and thorough cleaning to include running Q-tips all the way to the bottom of the spring hole is a good place to start.
Yup the pistol passed the extractor test based on the parameters you sent me.
You know, I haven't tried that magazine with different amounts of ammunition in it. I will say that in one instant, the malfunction occurred on the second round fired in a full magazine and it happened again on the 6th round fired from a full magazine.
I will definitely check the mag catch out. Probably just some excess gunk from the factory work.
Thanks for the info!

Registered
Yup the pistol passed the extractor test based on the parameters you sent me.
Cross the extractor off the list of possible causes.

For $8 I'd still want to try a Wolff conventional 14lb recoil spring in conjunction with the WC mag as a test.

You might want get on the phone with Wilson to hear what they have to say about the possibility of that mag being defective. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a new one gratis.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cross the extractor off the list of possible causes.

For $8 I'd still want to try a Wolff conventional 14lb recoil spring in conjunction with the WC mag as a test.

You might want get on the phone with Wilson to hear what they have to say about the possibility of that mag being defective. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a new one gratis.
I will look into it! And I appreciate all of the detailed information. I am just glad this Kimber is back and actually running. It really hurt the feels originally haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts