Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've searched this forum and others, and it seems some love them, some hate them. Personally, I'm not a fan, because the slide on my Kimber won't power stroke with a buffer installed. My question is, though, should I still use one because I've got an aluminum frame? Is the downside of bit being able to power stroke the slide outweighed by any protection the shok buff does for an aluminum frame?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
OK, so I've searched this forum and others, and it seems some love them, some hate them. Personally, I'm not a fan, because the slide on my Kimber won't power stroke with a buffer installed. My question is, though, should I still use one because I've got an aluminum frame? Is the downside of bit being able to power stroke the slide outweighed by any protection the shok buff does for an aluminum frame?
Dont try to fix problems you dont have, or you may create one.
Resist the urge to upgrade your new 1911.

Shock buffers generally suck. The internet sits on a throne of lies... no one loves them.

What's a power stroke?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Are you referring to hand operating the slide?

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Stopped using buffers years ago on the old Colt! Don't see a need for one on any of my 1911's.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I tried a Wilson Comb buffer in my Colt Govt maybe a decade or two ago. Cycled fine. Initially tried it based on the notion there might be less of a harsh snap from Frame/slide metal to metal contact but I couldn't discern any difference. I took it out and I think I have the rest of the pack in one of my parts boxes around here some place. Another $5 donated to WC. haha

WC only recommends use in Govt (5in) 1911s. Maybe if I had a $5,000 1911 that I shot 10,000 rounds or more every year I might rethink using a buffer.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My HK P30 has a buffer on it from the factory..my P30SK does not. There is no perceptible difference (to me anyway) in felt recoil. Maybe someday I'll shoot it without the buffer to see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
View attachment 126409
Racking the slide this way.

Ahh.
Slingshot.

Im pretty sure thats how the manufacturer recommends chambering the first round.

So it sounds like the Shok buffer is causing the gun to malfunction, and notn
operate as recommended.

One of the many reasons Shok Buffers suck.
I would advise passing on the Shok buffer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Fuller: I've always heard of "singshot", never heard of "power stroke" except for Ford diesels. Did you make that up?
Neg, slingshot and power stroke are similar techniques. Slingshot is achieved by pinching the slide with your thumb and index finger, power stroke used the whole hand. Power stroke mimics the hand position for clearing malfunctions. Because of that (and a couple other minor details) we teach that method at the academy.

Also, please feel fre0to call me John. :)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Neg, slingshot and power stroke are similar techniques. Slingshot is achieved by pinching the slide with your thumb and index finger, power stroke used the whole hand. Power stroke mimics the hand position for clearing malfunctions. Because of that (and a couple other minor details) we teach that method at the academy.

Also, please feel fre0to call me John. :)

What acadamy is that?

I have never heard that term applied to slingshotting, nor that finger/hand distinction, but that may be slowing your release, causing the issues you experienced.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I release my slide the same way as demonstrated in the video. I've always heard it referred to it as the sling shot method. I guess the the lesson to be learned with either way is not to follow the slide home with either grasp used. Grab it to release it and let it go. Slide stop and slide release are synonymous unless you own a Shield Plus that won't let go of the slide no matter how hard you press on it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.