Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've searched this forum and others, and it seems some love them, some hate them. Personally, I'm not a fan, because the slide on my Kimber won't power stroke with a buffer installed. My question is, though, should I still use one because I've got an aluminum frame? Is the downside of bit being able to power stroke the slide outweighed by any protection the shok buff does for an aluminum frame?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
OK, so I've searched this forum and others, and it seems some love them, some hate them. Personally, I'm not a fan, because the slide on my Kimber won't power stroke with a buffer installed. My question is, though, should I still use one because I've got an aluminum frame? Is the downside of bit being able to power stroke the slide outweighed by any protection the shok buff does for an aluminum frame?
Dont try to fix problems you dont have, or you may create one.
Resist the urge to upgrade your new 1911.

Shock buffers generally suck. The internet sits on a throne of lies... no one loves them.

What's a power stroke?

·
Super Moderator
38,337 Posts
I don't run buffers in any of my guns.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you referring to hand operating the slide?

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I do have a buffer on my Springfield SS Range Officer 9mm. The buffer came with the WC flat wire recoil kit, so I tried it. It didn’t cause any malfunctions and I didn’t notice any improvement in recoil. Basically, it’s a waste.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
The way I view it that buffer is something that could potentially fail and cause a malfunction. As far as an aluminum frame wearing out? Hey, what a way to go right :)
JMO...

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Stopped using buffers years ago on the old Colt! Don't see a need for one on any of my 1911's.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I tried a Wilson Comb buffer in my Colt Govt maybe a decade or two ago. Cycled fine. Initially tried it based on the notion there might be less of a harsh snap from Frame/slide metal to metal contact but I couldn't discern any difference. I took it out and I think I have the rest of the pack in one of my parts boxes around here some place. Another $5 donated to WC. haha

WC only recommends use in Govt (5in) 1911s. Maybe if I had a $5,000 1911 that I shot 10,000 rounds or more every year I might rethink using a buffer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts