Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Custom II is my first 1911 and so far I am extremely dissatisfied. I took it apart after cleaning it, put everything back together right, even the infuriating slide lock and now it won't eject and feed rounds right.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Prob user error. What exactly did you take apart? Sear? Springs? Extractor, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The Custom II is my first 1911 and so far I am extremely dissatisfied. I took it apart after cleaning it, put everything back together right, even the infuriating slide lock and now it won't eject and feed rounds right.
Well there Mutt, if it was put back together "right", you would not be having this problem. Best to start over from scratch, and really "do it right".

Not being familiar with the 1911 platform, then bashing it and Kimber says alot about you, and will not win any friends or help here and elsewhere. Some of us have used/carried the 1911 for decades, so when someone such as yourself post naive comments such as yours, it just shows lack of experience and ignorance.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Have to agree with Rick and Hunted here. Did you read the owners manual? How far did you break it down?
Why is the slide lock infuriating?
Give us some more info and maybe we can help you, although coming on this Forum with your first post blasting your Kimber is not the way to ingratiate to the members. Fortunately for you this is a great understanding Forum with a bunch of helpful people.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
BOLO…..
Just saying.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Guess he figured it out!
Maybe, or.....

Buys gun, takes it home.
Takes it apart, but being unfamiliar with the platform, proper disassembly, let alone reassembly, can't get it back together properly.
So, what to do?
Go online and whine about your problem, bash whatever brand is involved. But be sure not to admit to ignorance.
Either figure it out (most likely not), or whine elsewhere until someone holds hand and solves problem for whiner.
Then, no reason go go back online where you whined first, no one knows who you are, so......bye.

·
Super Moderator
38,045 Posts
I can see where someone breaking down a 1911 for the first time can have a problem. Had he asked for help in getting it working again he would have gotten all kinds of help. But to blame the gun for not working properly after he put it back together is just wrong.

Hey, this reminds me of something I posted earlier today......

I am not mean, I am blunt.

Which means I will tell you the clear difference between a bit naïve and incredibly fucking stupid.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
OP, I would welcome you but I doubt you will return or stay active. I'm with the others on this.

You are disrespecting a group of people that can disassemble and assemble a 1911 blindfolded!!

So show respect by asking for help not bashing the firearm.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
First time 1911 user and frustrated doesn't make him or her a bad person. everyone has been there a time or too in my case 4 or 5 times. ease up a little I hope that he got it figured out and comes back man you wont believe what I did finish.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Just a troll. Don’t over think it.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Which means I will tell you the clear difference between a bit naïve and incredibly fucking stupid.
I've found that many people are fucking stupid, and are perfectly content being that way. If you open your mouth to shed a little enlightenment, they lash out and try to drag you down into their abyss. Sometimes it's just best to let them be.

"Stupid is as stupid does."
--Forrest Gump's Mom

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm getting good at field stripping my 1911s for basic cleaning, and putting back together no problems (had to watch a yootube vid the first time..lol). But still dont have the nerve to take them apart any further than that.. Hate to admit..but true..
If you watch a few videos, its really not that complicated.
You could 100% do it.
It was originally designed to be disassembled in the field with minimal / no "tools".
Series 70 1911s are ridiculously easy.
I strip my 1911s every few range sessions down to the frame and wash them in the sink.
Swapping and fitting new parts is a different matter entirely and takes a bit of patience and some basic skills.

OP should have just called Kimber.
If he was polite, they would have most likely helped him over the phone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you watch a few videos, its really not that complicated.
You could 100% do it.
It was originally designed to be disassembled in the field with minimal / no "tools".
Series 70 1911s are ridiculously easy.
I strip my 1911s every few range sessions down to the frame and wash them in the sink.
Swapping and fitting new parts is a different matter entirely and takes a bit of patience and some basic skills.

OP should have just called Kimber.
If he was polite, they would have most likely helped him over the phone.
I know my SR1911 is a series 70. Not sure if my Kimber is ?

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I know my SR1911 is a series 70. Not sure if my Kimber is ?
Kimber's with "II" after the model name are series 80 have a Swartz safety. i.e. CDP Ultra II,
Kimber SIS Pro...Series 70, no Swartz safety.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Never let an amateur reassemble a 1911. Had to remove the firing pin safety at the range because my Brother in Law broke the lever for the FPS when he reassembled it. (Bull in China shop comes to mind). He said it was difficult to get slide back on so he used a rubber mallet.
Anyways, removed pin safety, did our range time (gun still ran great) and ordered parts when we got back. He learned his lesson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd like to know just how far the OP disassembled his Custom II 1911. Was it only a field strip or was it further? If only a field strip, a couple of thoughts come to mind. Does he realize that the 1911 is a controlled feed mechanism and cartridges should only be fed from a magazine? Dropping a cartridge into the chamber and then trying to close the slide isn't a good idea as the extractor wasn't designed to override the rim. That can cause broken extractors.

My other thought is maybe he inserted the slide stop and didn't put the pin through the barrel link. That would surely cause feeding and extraction problems.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My other thought is maybe he inserted the slide stop and didn't put the pin through the barrel link. That would surely cause feeding and extraction problems.
This is probably what happened.

Reactions: Doubs43
1 - 19 of 19 Posts