Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a normal range check I found the safety on mu Micro 9 would fail to stay in the up position. A call to Kimber provided me with a new safety plunger spring and plunger.
My question is how is this installed? I attempted to compress the spring and plunger then move the safety lever over it but find it nearly impossible to do so. Someone suggested removing a couple coils to reduce the spring tension however I am very reluctant to modify the safety.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
First, put on some glasses because doctors charge a lot of money to remove the plunger that you launched into your eye. Second, be very careful, because you'll feel foolish calling Kimber and explaining that you lost the new plunger after you launched it across the room.

Now, reach into your shirt pocket and pull out the chopstick that you always carry because everyone needs chopsticks throughout the day. Using the big, flat end, depress the spring and plunger. Now, rotate the safety downward so that it pushes your chopstick out of the way while holding down the plunger.

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, put on some glasses because doctors charge a lot of money to remove the plunger that you launched into your eye. Second, be very careful, because you'll feel foolish calling Kimber and explaining that you lost the new plunger after you launched it across the room.

Now, reach into your shirt pocket and pull out the chopstick that you always carry because everyone needs chopsticks throughout the day. Using the big, flat end, depress the spring and plunger. Now, rotate the safety downward so that it pushes your chopstick out of the way while holding down the plunger.

Easy peasy.
I was finally successful in replacing the safety spring. The problem appears to be once the left side grip is removed, it is easy to move the safety lever too far down, releasing the spring that keeps tension on the safety to maintain its proper position. The replacement spring is very long and often attempting to seat it, (using any type of flat thin, flat object results in the spring being forced over at a ninety degree angle rather than down. A small punch was ground with a flat end and use to retain the spring and cap while the safety was rotated over the cap to keep it in place.
Knowing the quality Kimber is capable of, this design oversight could be easily corrected by installing a removable pin that would limit the travel of the safety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finding the plunger and spring that went into the carpet is easier than you may think.
Just vacuum the room then use a strong magnet to fish out the parts.
I know it sounds goofy, but it has worked every time (so far).

·
Registered
949 Posts
After assembling a few ARs and 1911s I chuckled a little when I read this.
Welcome to the world of tabletop gunsmithing.
Captive springs and plungers are common and have been the bane of bubba Smith's for a century or more.
It happens so often that you can actually buy a spring kit for an AR called an "Oops Kit" that contains all the parts that are commonly launched into another dimension when tinkering.

1911 style safety plungers are famous for disappearing into hyperspace.
Try encasing the gun inside a force field....or plastic bag...to catch the escaping parts.

Reactions: Chuck43
1 - 5 of 5 Posts