Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Not heard of elite nor tried it...what's it supposed to clean?

Reactions: Aviator

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Not heard of elite nor tried it...what's it supposed to clean?
Hoppes Elite is a gun oil. This isn’t a clp, it’s strictly a lubricant. Never tried this oil but I wouldn’t be afraid to try something with the Hoppes name on it. I’m a fan of No.9.

Chambh, if you keep your gun clean, any gun oil will work just fine. I have a number of different brand of lubes. They really all get the job done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoppes Elite is a gun oil. This isn’t a clp, it’s strictly a lubricant. Never tried this oil but I wouldn’t be afraid to try something with the Hoppes name on it. I’m a fan of No.9.

Chambh, if you keep your gun clean, any gun oil will work just fine. I have a number of different brand of lubes. They really all get the job done.
pretty sure I'll stick with Break Free CLP and some #9 for the bore is needed.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Yep, what JC and chambh said, sticking with BreakFree.

Reactions: JC45 and Aviator

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Elite is a separate line of products from Hoppe's 9 traditional line, including cleaners and lubricant. Elite cleaning products are advertised as a low-odor, non-flammable, biodegradable, non-toxic, ammonia free... yada yada. Cleaners are probably close to the same formula as my M-Pro 7 gun cleaner that's marked low-odor, ammonia free and non-flammable. On the other hand, my Hoppe's 9 is marked extremely flammable, fatal if swallowed, use in well ventilated area... on and on.

If you're one of those guys who runs home after shooting to clean your guns then the gun cleaning product really doesn't matter so much. If you're cleaning guns at the kitchen table... your wife or small children might appreciate less odor and toxicity. If you shoot more, clean less, and have a gun cleaning area then harsher formulas might be worthwhile.

Lubricants are another matter. I'd ask why you're greasing the feed ramp but I also read that you carry an unloaded gun with the safety engaged which pretty much answers 'why'.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
^^^^ That's my boy! Glad your back!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hey Phil!

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
231 Posts
My cousin has been in law enforcement for 30 years he recommended G96 to clean Hopes # 9 bore cleaner & kimber recommends shooter fp 10 oil. My 3 kimbers all run beautifully.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I use Break free CLP, Hoppes #9 bore cleaner, and Rem oil spray or Mobile 1to oil the firearm.
I dont over think it.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I really like Kroil for cleaning. For oil use something real thin that won't gum up when cold or over time.
When I bought my Dan Wesson Vigil Commander the manual listed Kroil as something they recommended on the finish. Great penetrating oil, never used it on a gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hard to beat a quality CLP ... I use CLP for all of my handguns and follow up with a quality grease on my handguns that require grease on rails like 1911's and Sig 220, 226, 229, etc...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts