Kimber Talk Forums banner

Rhode Island

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Stephen S 
#1 ·
So, the Communist State of RI just banned magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Within 180 days they need to be removed from the state, turned over to the proper authorities or modified. 10 round mags don't exist, any ideas on modifying to accept 10 or fewer rounds?

#2 · (Edited)
Magazines? What magazines?

Or... You could urn them in and take the money if any is offered. Or put them in your safe deposit box and wait for this to be challenged in the courts. I deplore regulation but anything more than 8 rounds is a fairly recent thing. For almost a century, six-shooters were all people had. As a civilian, and from a practical sense, if you need more than ten rounds you are outgunned and should take cover or leave the area.

In the short term, support conservative representatives and carry a spare mag. That's 20 rounds. If that's not enough I wonder WTF is going on in Rhode Island. Did the aging patricians, hippies and old money hoi oligoi abdicate to street gangs?

#5 ·
Thanks guys.

I guess I should valve been more clear. I've had my Mako about a month. Ordered an extra 13 round mag. 10 round mags don't exist for the Mako. How does one go about modifying the existing mags?

I doubt this ban will stick considering California's didn't. Just trying to think ahead.

#8 ·
I suppose that the ultimate solution if the law sticks is going to be something like a bigger, longer follower. On your own, unless you have some mechanical design skills and maybe 3d printer, it's beyond your ability (and most others) to make this.

If you genuinely fear prosecution or search and seizure (which isn't going to happen), I was serious when I suggested put the 13 rounder in your safe deposit box until this madness ends. Use the flush mag but don't put that 11th round in it. If someone asks, it's a ten-round magazine as far as you know. Nobody is going to get busted for an 11 round mag. Unless of course you shoot somebody who didn't deserve it and have the bad luck of encountering a gun hating prosecutor. Which is likely in RI.

I do believe that when it's all said and done, gun makers are going to include ten-round mags and that's all you get. The Gov't is going to pressure them to do that.

Allow me to wax on this subject of pistol capacity because I am fascinated by gun marketing bullshit.

First, I'm perfectly comfortable with ten rounds in a conceal carry pistol. Or eight. I only need one round. Maybe two. I spent years, shot a gazillion rounds and a lot of money on trianing for that.

When the gunmakers all started to play leapfrog on the capacity of micro 9mm's, they did this because it was only the only real differentiator in that category. How many rounds they could stuff into a small frame became a selling point. It's all marketing. A LEO or military personnel need large-capacity pistols for obvious reasons. Micro 9's and other EDCs are not duty weapons.

Civilians carry pistols for personal self-defense. Why does Average Joe need a 13-round mag in his EDC? The answer is he doesn't. But the gun marketers have convinced him he does. Just in case he suddenly find himself in the midst of a gang war and needs to take down five bad guys? Even so, if Joe knows how to shoot a pistol and has invested in training that's ten rounds. Five if he's good. If Joe carrys a second ten-round mag, he can take down an entire squad of bad guys in a dark alley. Anybody know how often that happens? Answer: Never.

Anyway, dont sweat it brother. Park your 13 round Mako mag someplace until the proverbial smoke clears.

#9 ·
I suppose that the ultimate solution if the law sticks is going to be something like a bigger, longer follower. On your own, unless you have some mechanical design skills and maybe 3d printer, it's beyond your ability (and most others) to make this.

If you genuinely fear prosecution or search and seizure (which isn't going to happen), I was serious when I suggested put the 13 rounder in your safe deposit box until this madness ends. Use the flush mag but don't put that 11th round in it. If someone asks, it's a ten-round magazine as far as you know. Nobody is going to get busted for an 11 round mag. Unless of course you shoot somebody who didn't deserve it and have the bad luck of encountering a gun hating prosecutor. Which is likely in RI.

I do believe that when it's all said and done, gun makers are going to include ten-round mags and that's all you get. The Gov't is going to pressure them to do that.

Allow me to wax on this subject of pistol capacity because I am fascinated by gun marketing bullshit.

First, I'm perfectly comfortable with ten rounds in a conceal carry pistol. Or eight. I only need one round. Maybe two. I spent years, shot a gazillion rounds and a lot of money on trianing for that.

When the gunmakers all started to play leapfrog on the capacity of micro 9mm's, they did this because it was only the only real differentiator in that category. How many rounds they could stuff into a small frame became a selling point. It's all marketing. A LEO or military personnel need large-capacity pistols for obvious reasons. Micro 9's and other EDCs are not duty weapons.

Civilians carry pistols for personal self-defense. Why does Average Joe need a 13-round mag in his EDC? The answer is he doesn't. But the gun marketers have convinced him he does. Just in case he suddenly find himself in the midst of a gang war and needs to take down five bad guys? Even so, if Joe knows how to shoot a pistol and has invested in training that's ten rounds. Five if he's good. If Joe carrys a second ten-round mag, he can take down an entire squad of bad guys in a dark alley. Anybody know how often that happens? Answer: Never.

Anyway, dont sweat it brother. Park your 13 round Mako mag someplace until the proverbial smoke clears.
If you download the 11 round mags, you lose the extra round, but still get the charge.
That's just doubling down on dumb.
If that's your plan, just carry the 13 rounder.
Same charge.

I would just move.

#10 · (Edited)
The chances of being charged for using the 11 round mag is the same as being killed by a falling coconut on a beach in the Arctic Circle.

Law focuses largely on intent. Choosing 13 vs 11 suggests you intentionally ignored the law. Which would be true. The 11 rounder with ten rounds is the only choice you have for exercising your right to bear arms. Because it is the only option for the firearm you own. Which story sounds better to a judge? You decide.

There are a lot of people in jail or became hopelessly broke because they disagreed with a law and chose to go down swinging. Example: tax evasion. Don’t be an idiot. Being outwardly obstinate is reckless and indicates disregard for the law. That’s means guilty. Every time. It’s how the system works.

It’s best to make the effort to comply. If you can’t abide, move as others have stated. Or get involved in the political process. Not enough gun owners do that.

Side note: I have family in Providence. My grandfather's brothers settled there. My cousins love RI and every one of them is liberal. Must be something in the water.

Again, good luck.

#11 ·
The chances of being charged for using the 11 round mag is the same as being killed by a falling coconut on a beach in the Arctic Circle.

Law focuses largely on intent. Choosing 13 vs 11 suggests you intentionally ignored the law. Which would be true. The 11 rounder with ten rounds is the only choice you have for exercising your right to bear arms. Because it is the only option for the firearm you own. Which story sounds better to a judge? You decide.

There are a lot of people in jail or became hopelessly broke because they disagreed with a law and chose to go down swinging. Example: tax evasion. Don’t be an idiot. Being outwardly obstinate is reckless and indicates disregard for the law. That’s means guilty. Every time. It’s how the system works.

It’s best to make the effort to comply. If you can’t abide, move as others have stated. Or get involved in the political process. Not enough gun owners do that.

Side note: I have family in Providence. My grandfather's brothers settled there. My cousins love RI and every one of them is liberal. Must be something in the water.

Again, good luck.
You didn't read the bill did you?
The proposed law makes possession a felony.

They will charge your ass if you get caught, and you will lose your gun rights.

That's why I advised moving.
Fuck all that.

Dung, don't you have to ask permission to even buy a gun in your state?
You should move too, brother.

#16 · (Edited)
In another thread you supported removing gun rights from felons.

In this thread, you advised the OP to commit a felony, which will cost him his gun rights, if convicted, and his gun budget if he isn't.

I'm still not sure where you stand on God given rights.
Fearmongering nonsense.

A felony record requires first that one is charged and convicted. The most rabid liberal gun-grabbing ADA in Rhode Island looking to make a name for him or herself would not be stupid enough to base a prosecution on a citizen with no criminal record over an 11 vs. 10-round pistol magazine, based on a law that in other states has been successfully challenged or revised by the lawmakers who tried it. Why? Because that case would be dismissed. Even more ridiculous is the possibility of law enforcement knocking on doors and asking where the 13-round magazines are being hidden.

I don't think you understand how the legal system works or what it takes to actually bring someone up on charges like this. Who would lead the investigation and enforcement? What would the probable cause be for investigating someone? There's a difference between the letter and the spirit of the law. It begins with being able to prove criminal intent. The world is not black and white. Neither is the law. As much as some people are inclined to want it to be.

I'll say it again. 180 days from now Rhode Island will do what Delaware did. Because the law as written is unworkable. Read it. So... everybody who is experiencing anxiety over this matter can now unpucker their o-ring and stop shit-stirring until that deadline. Delaware did the same thing then changed it to 17 rounds

BTW: The RI House and Senate ignored the Judiciary committee rejecting the magazine bill. Went around them instead, basically circumventing parliamentary procedure to jam this bill thru. For that reason alone, the magazine bill is going to be challenged. The governor hasn't signed anything yet.

Gun purchases in RI doubled from 2019 to 2021. A lot of those guns came with magazines that hold more than ten rounds. .

#19 · (Edited)
True. Like I said... this is all a tempest in a teapot for the OP and his Mako. He's not going to get into trouble.

Any restriction on mag capacity that makes it into law and sticks is a minor thing with pistols. And so what if you can only have ten rounds in a pistol mag. Carry two mags. Many do anyway. 1911's and their derivatives are obviously unaffected.

Where this is going to be a shit show is rifle/carbine mags. Nor is that the subject of this thread. There are so many of them out there. 20-30-40-50 rounds as we all know. States who try to get that cow back in the barn are going to face a lot of resistance and legal challenges. This is going to rage on for a while.

I don't think AR and AK owners will turn in their mags. Nobody has 10 round mags anymore unless it's for a box mag bolt action rifle. We'll see how this goes. Especially in how it impacts the Nov election.

#21 · (Edited)
More deflection from you. It's a habit. Allow me to clarify and simplify:

Magazine capacity is not a right.

God doesn't care about gun magazines. I'm pretty sure he would want you to stop suggesting he does.

The original post and this conversation centered on Mako mags. The OP asked what to do because there is no ten-round mag.

The net-net of the reply was...

1.) it is inadvisable to modify a mag yourself if you aren't suitably skilled;
2.) Put the 13 round away and out of reach and wait for this to play out for the next 180 days; and,
3.) Nobody is going to get busted for an 11-round Mako mag (it was pointed out that the mag says 10 on it).

If a firearm (most likely a newer pistol) has no ten-round option, demanding the owner turn in the mags is an infringement on the 2A. Because giving up the magazines makes the firearm useless. Some full-sized pistols do not have ten-round mags. That will be challenged in the courts.

In the broader sense, I went on to suggest mag capacity laws are likely going to happen everywhere. While nobody likes it, it does not meet the bar of infringing. Don't agree with my prediction? I don't give a shit. It's going to happen. I don't like it either. But I also don't make a habit of wishing things away. Delaware changed their law to 17 rounds within days of the original legislation. I believe this or something close to that will probably become the norm. Maybe 12, or 15.

My final note which is not relevant to the OP is the battle is going to be over long gun mags. These new mag capacity laws don't differentiate handguns from long gun magazines. That's going to be messy and my guess is some elected officials on both sides who vote for this may get booted in November. I suspect the compromise will be to ban future sales and grandfather existing mags. That makes enforcement difficult but the bottom line is no new rifle mags beyond a certain capacity will be sold and existing mags above a certain capacity cannot be traded, gifted, or transferred by civilians. Will this happen? I'm pretty sure that's how it plays out. Nobody is going to be happy.

I've had my fill of ridiculous banter on this topic. Over and out.

#22 ·
I'll make it simple since you don't seem to like to read:

The Government only has the power granted to them in the US Constitution, by the people.

The 2A doesn't give anyone a right.

The 2A clearly and succinctly forbids the Government from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms.

It was specifically written that way, because the founders knew that a tyrannical government needs to disarm the populace in order to abuse them (see the revolutionary war as an example).

Now, of you had been paying attention, and not trying to be edgy, you just agreed with me.

Personally, I wouldn't give up a single mag, nor would I be concerned with being charged, but I live in rural, conservative GA with very few gun laws, and zero chance that the same Sheriff, Prosecutor, Judge and Deputies that I go to church and shoot with would charge me with that unconstitutional bullshit, nor would a law like that pass here.

That why I suggested moving.
Hoping a liberal DA in a blue state won't charge you after passing a virtue signaling mag ban, isn't a plan, it's down right stupid.

#25 ·
The OP must have noticed that the 11 round and the 13 round mags all are stamped 10 on the side of them. Do you think the pinheads at the helm would look further into it?
We had the same sort of law take effect in 1 July 22 and the gun-shops have been doing a brisk business to get orders completed before the deadline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.